• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Request: Well Established Member For Recapping of Early 1990's Laptop Motherboard

Paralel

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a well established member here that could recap an early 1990's laptop motherboard. Basically, all the electrolytic caps need to be replaced, and they are preventing the DC-DC circuit from working correctly, which is preventing the system from powering up.

I can't do this kind of delicate work any longer after being injured, so I need to find someone who can do it for me.

If you are interested, please PM me or reply here.

I'm happy to negotiate a reasonable charge for the repair. I am not looking to try and haggle with someone or get this done on the cheap.

uniserver (formerly of 68kMLA) also does real professional work at reasonable rates - I got my SE/30 board back looking like it rolled right off the assembly line. I'll PM you his e-mail address.

uniserver (formerly of 68kMLA) also does real professional work at reasonable rates - I got my SE/30 board back looking like it rolled right off the assembly line. I'll PM you his e-mail address.

I will say YMMV. I know someone who has had a very rare board butchered by that guy (or who ever he is subcontracting to). If you can find someone local that would be your best bet. Shipping a board back and forth is a real pain (specially if it would be hard to replace). Check your local cell phone repair shops (not the mall kiosks ones, although they can surprise you). Many will do soldering jobs for cheap. I needed a surface mount chip replaced on a TV circuit board and took it in to a local place. They did while I waited. Nice and easy (I supplied replacement chip I got from china for $4).

BTW: This is in no way a reflection or knock on GiGaBite. I think finding something like this locally is always better - if you know what needs to be done (which OP sounds like he does). However, if you need someone with a bit of a know how to check/diagnose as opposed to just "replace this with this" then someone in the "vintage" community is a much better resource.

Back