• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB repair of three motherboards

Nathanieltolb331

Experienced Member
Hello everyone,

I have three motherboards that I am looking to have repaired/refurbished. I have a Packard Bell Force 205 board which was working intermittently, but after changing out the caps, it has stopped working. I don't know if it can be repaired, but my skills are pretty much non-existent, so I thought I would ask about how much a repair/refurb service would cost. The next is a Techmedia motherboard I got, but it doesn't work, I tried every chip the board supports that I have, and I couldn't get it to post. There was battery leakage on the board, and I tried my best to clean it, but there are still some spots that after hitting with vinegar and then isopropyl alcohol didn't come off. I don't know if the damage from the battery leak was too much to allow for the board to work any more or if it can be repaired for working order. The final board works, so I don't know if I should do anything or not, but it's my childhood PC, which was a Packard Bell Legend 115 plus board, which I think is a PB400? It had some serious battery damage, but the board still works, even if it has some weird quirks. But I know I am past by ability to fix them myself so I thought I would ask about paying for repairs. Please let me know if it is something that is available, and if I put this in the wrong spot, I apologize. Thank you for taking a look and responding.

Regards,

Nathan

Hello everyone,

I have three motherboards that I am looking to have repaired/refurbished. I have a Packard Bell Force 205 board which was working intermittently, but after changing out the caps, it has stopped working. I don't know if it can be repaired, but my skills are pretty much non-existent, so I thought I would ask about how much a repair/refurb service would cost. The next is a Techmedia motherboard I got, but it doesn't work, I tried every chip the board supports that I have, and I couldn't get it to post. There was battery leakage on the board, and I tried my best to clean it, but there are still some spots that after hitting with vinegar and then isopropyl alcohol didn't come off. I don't know if the damage from the battery leak was too much to allow for the board to work any more or if it can be repaired for working order. The final board works, so I don't know if I should do anything or not, but it's my childhood PC, which was a Packard Bell Legend 115 plus board, which I think is a PB400? It had some serious battery damage, but the board still works, even if it has some weird quirks. But I know I am past by ability to fix them myself so I thought I would ask about paying for repairs. Please let me know if it is something that is available, and if I put this in the wrong spot, I apologize. Thank you for taking a look and responding.

Regards,

Nathan

What part of Kansas are you in? I live near Wichita and do some PCB level repairs as part of my job so I may be able to help you out.

I live in the KC metro area. A bit of a drive for sure, but I would also want to know cost for work and supplies.

I live in the KC metro area. A bit of a drive for sure, but I would also want to know cost for work and supplies.

Hmm, yeah, it might be easier for you to work with someone a couple of hours closer. Feel free to send me a PM if you can't find anybody though -- while I'd prefer to see the boards in person before agreeing to work on them, maybe a few good pictures of the damage would give me enough info to estimate the work involved.

I'm not worried about mailing them to you or meeting halfway to exchange them. Driving a bit isn't going to kill me. I can try to take some pictures of the three boards and see what you think. My go to guy when it came to board damage like this in the past was Ed Jeffries, but he passed away about 5 years ago now, and there isn't anyone in the area that I know that repairs boards like this any more. He was also a really good friend and I miss him.

I took some pictures of the two boards that do not appear to be working. I can't figure out the Force 205 board at all from packard bell. Maybe the solder points have corroded that I can't see and that's the issue. However on the 486VLB board from techmedia, it's very easy to see that pretty much every trace that was under the battery is toast, including a via that looks corroded through the board. I am guessing that makes it almost impossible to salvage, but please take a look. If you need the full res pictures that I took, let me know and I can email them to you.Packard Bell Force 205-1.jpgPB Force 205-2.jpgTechmedia486VLB.jpgtechmediacorrodedtraces.jpgtechmedia corroded via.jpg Apologies for the blurry pictures on the close ups. The camera on my phone says it's in close up mode, but it still refuses to focus, and I'm not learned enough with it to fix it.

Back