• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to do same as old view activity stream on new site

djg

Experienced Member
I used to view the forum with forum->activity stream from the main VCF page (link https://www.vcfed.org/forum/activity.php). That link now just takes you to the forum.

On the new forum there is a tab for latest activity. That shows threads with new activity but shows the first post in the topics not the new posts. The old activity stream showed you the new posts in reverse chronological order so you could scan through and choose what new posts you wanted to read in full. Clicking the proper link would take you to that post in the topic.

Is similar functionality to the old activity stream available in the new forum?

The new topics link shows the first email as the main body, but the latest email on the far right in a normal browser.They are sorted by most recent activity, so the top result is the thread which has the most recent post on it. To view the last post in the thread, use the blue >> button on the far right.

It lists only the latest posts in a mobile browse which is the behavior we are all accustomed to on the normal browser.

To recreate the old “activity view” I found the following works although it takes multiple clicks.

Under advanced search leave keyword blank, under date range click “since last visit”, under source choose “forums”. This results in a sorted list of recent posts across all the forums since my last visit.

a nice summary of activity.

The Latest Topics on the far right only shows the last 3 posts. Clicking on view all just takes you to the advanced search.

Annoying that you have to either sign in or answer the random question to get what used to be one click.

Actually only logging in works. If you answer the random question you get one page of posts but if you click on next to see the next page of results you get the advanced search screen and have to reenter the random question again.

To recreate the old “activity view” I found the following works although it takes multiple clicks.

Under advanced search leave keyword blank, under date range click “since last visit”, under source choose “forums”. This results in a sorted list of recent posts across all the forums since my last visit.

a nice summary of activity.

This is what I do as well.

Mentioned this earlier today in the thread of doom before discovering there was also a thread here, but, well, would also like to pile on and request that the admins consider adding a header link which replicates the old Activity Stream. We have the "new topics" button in the header, which will show you threads that were recently updated (but require you to click in to actually see the updates), and then there's the "Latest Activity" link which, frankly, I can't wrap my head around its sorting order when you click it by default, but can be easily turned into something close to the old activity stream by hitting "Filter" and clicking "New Topics: Off". (Is there a way to make "New Topics: Off" the default instead?)

I've created custom search bookmarks which I can use on my local machines, but it would be really convenient if we could get it back on the header, and it's also worth noting that the vcfed web page:

https://vcfed.org/wp/

Still has a now-broken link to "Activity Stream". It's not completely broken, it redirects to the default forum view, but it could instead go to the appropriate search string.

Back