• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search not preserving results

Chuck(G)

25k Member
A bit hard to explain, but here goes: If I search for new topics, then select a topic to view, when I page back to search results I get the message:
Search result already expired, please try a new search.
I can live with this, by opening a new tab every time I look at a new topic, then closing it after I've read it, but it's not as convenient as the old forum software.

I have had this too when going to a second page of search results. I now scroll to the bottom of the first page and open all the buttons in a new tab, same when viewing an article, open in new tab...

Another problem with these new search results is that it removes anything I view from the list. I frequently need to go back and re-view something I just read. The old forum (with the alternate new topics link) would just show read topics as non-bold text.

This also leads to a really dumb bug - if one reads topics from the first search page by opening them in a new window/tab then move to the second page, that number of topics from the second page may have have moved to the bottom of the first page where where you won't see them. I guess that is what we get for not browsing full screen in a single window like web designers.

Another problem with these new search results is that it removes anything I view from the list. I frequently need to go back and re-view something I just read. The old forum (with the alternate new topics link) would just show read topics as non-bold text.

Yea, this is an annoying part of the New Topics feature. Since it's my primary window in to the traffic here, when I read a topic, particularly a low traffic topic, if I don't pay keen attention as to where the post is (and, as a rule, I don't), it's "lost forever" should I want to go back to it.

Yea, this is an annoying part of the New Topics feature. Since it's my primary window in to the traffic here, when I read a topic, particularly a low traffic topic, if I don't pay keen attention as to where the post is (and, as a rule, I don't), it's "lost forever" should I want to go back to it.

I find that quite annoying also.

Another suggestion is that the advanced search "since last visit" option be made part of the main "Search" drop-down menu. I suspect this will be of the most use to folks.

Back