• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Please fix the PM system

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I get notifications, but am unable to find the message in my inbox.

Please, please--can we do away with the "Conversation" organization and simply list the messages as they come in? If someone replies to a message from a month ago, I'll never fine the posting!

The current system is really terrible!

Pretty sure this was reported before, but looks like PMs from newer users under the moderation limit for posts come out blank. I see the first line or so in the email notification, but not the whole message. When checking in the forum, the message has no content.

Ah, might be a clue there. Any forum running under sensible rules should prevent new users from sending PMs until a minimum number of posts have been made. This stops spammers signing up then sending hundreds of PMs to all and sundry. Perhaps this blanking of text is some kind of half-baked solution? If it is, it's not done very well.

Something is still screwy the PMs. The forum seems to have two separate PM systems, one that is useless and another that at least sometimes works.

For example when I get a new PM, I get a notification directing me to:

https://www.vcfed.org/forum/special/private-messages

But that just comes up as "No topics found". Useless.

To actually see my PMs, I instead have to go to:

https://www.vcfed.org/forum/privatemessage/list/13998/1

(I presume those numbers are different for each user.)

Then it actually works.

Ah, might be a clue there. Any forum running under sensible rules should prevent new users from sending PMs until a minimum number of posts have been made. This stops spammers signing up then sending hundreds of PMs to all and sundry. Perhaps this blanking of text is some kind of half-baked solution? If it is, it's not done very well.

I have had a couple of these and can't figure out whats going on. There does seem to be two systems becuase the stuff here:-

https://www.vcfed.org/forum/privatemessage/index

seems to work.

For all of the minor things that I've complained about concerning this new software, the PM feature seems to be working okay for me, both sending and receiving.:listen:

I'd say the link in the email is just wrong and needs updating. The link that works is the link to the message center at the top of the page next to your nickname.
It's hard for me since I currently have no PMs from other members.

The PM system is eating messages. Someone sent me a PM that I can partially see in my email, but there's nothing in the text box when looking at the PM on the forum, it's blank.

Interesting. I still can’t find anything that would cause that, so it might be a bug in the current vBulletin. Let me see if we can find anything.

- Alex

The PM system is eating messages. Someone sent me a PM that I can partially see in my email, but there's nothing in the text box when looking at the PM on the forum, it's blank.

Was it from a member with a low number of posts? I think it is tied to the moderation limit. This has happened to me a few times.

Was it from a member with a low number of posts? I think it is tied to the moderation limit. This has happened to me a few times.

Yes, it was a member with less than 10 posts, but it wasn't spam. From the partial PM I could see in my email, it was a legitimate message.

It'd be nice if the whole message was sent to my email, like it used to before the forum migration.

Yes, it was a member with less than 10 posts, but it wasn't spam. From the partial PM I could see in my email, it was a legitimate message.
In the past couple of weeks, I have had PM conversations with two members, one member having less than 10 posts. PM's from the member with less than 10 posts have no content (although the title is present on the first message). For that affected member, I do see the (truncated) text of the 'no content' PM in the email notification that I get. Interestingly, in one of those notification emails, I see that the member wrote, "It looks like you replied but your reply is empty." So the nil content is happening in both directions ?

It's stll broken. I got a null message (first line in email was okay) today from a member who joined in 2015.

Again, if someone needs to reach me your best alternative to the broken PM system is vcfblackhole@protonmail.com.

When the PM facility, if ever, gets fixed, I'll deactivate the email account. :rolleyes:

I haven't messed with PMs since the forum upgrade, but just to test I clicked the "send new message" in the drop down, and the window it brings up tries to make it look like an instant messaging application. That is retarded.

Still, messages in the "inbox" in the Message Center seem to display OK for me so far, although I see it relies on scripting to "see more" than one line in the preview. Clicking the message title shows the entire message on a new page. That much seems to work for me.

Please try the PM system. I have made a change to the forum configuration that was suggested by the vBulletin authors.

Let me know what problems you encounter.

Thanks!
- Alex

If you mean "Did the null content of past messages suddenly reappear?", then no. I don't know if I can convince the original posters to send a message again, now that we're using direct email.

Yeah I've had a few folks ping me thru the contact form on my site due to their PMs never reaching me. All parties involved have been members for years. Not sure if it's still happening because we have also moved off-forums for messages.

I’m not expecting missing messages to reappear, but I am hoping that we may stop blocking new ones. I’ll send some to the folks who have posted here, though that doesn’t prove the case, unfortunately.

- Alex

Yeah I can attest to that. I had to reach out to glitch from outside websites since he was not getting any of my PM's

Back