• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How do you view your likes?

thenzero

Experienced Member
I feel pretty stupid asking this but how do you view all the stuff you’ve “like”d? I’ve been using that as a bookmark to keep track of stuff but now I can’t figure out how to see it. Whoops.

Haha fair point. Out of curiosity how do you bookmark posts you want to be able to get back to later?

I just use my browsers built in bookmark function. But I guess I'm just old because I don't want to put my bookmarks in the "cloud" so someone in a third world country can pick over what I have bookmarked.

You can "subscribe" to a thread, and I think that will show you a list in your message center. But I think that also adds e-mail notification spam whenever someone posts to it.

If you click the post number it will create a link directly to the post, in cases where you wanted to bookmark a post in a thread with hundreds of posts. I usually just search, but maybe in the future it will come in handy.

I just use my browsers built in bookmark function. But I guess I'm just old because I don't want to put my bookmarks in the "cloud" so someone in a third world country can pick over what I have bookmarked.

lol. Nobody in the third world cares about your bookmarks. Also, unless you’re using a really good vpn, your isp is logging everything you do and selling it to the lowest bidder anyway. Just saying.

Bookmarking that way on a phone browser is somewhat cumbersome to me but if that’s the only way to do it that’s what I’ll do.

Still waiting to see if anyone knows how to view your own likes. That seems like a pretty basic forum function.

There SHOULD be a way to see your likes, depending on which add-in they’ve used. I know on some other forums I’m a member of you can click a link on your profile to see stuff you’ve like or to see likes you’ve received.

Initially, on those other forums, I liked the idea of “likes” thinking it would help new people see which posts contained the “right” answer. What I actually noticed in practice is that the wrong answer could receive a lot of likes if the person presenting it had a good reputation and spoke authoritatively. It was a vehicle forum and people would like posts about things that “couldn’t be done” in the security systems that I had personally done multiple times. So now I just use it for the face value of saying thanks, without cluttering the thread too much.

I found some discussion on this topic on the vbulletin forum. Apparently this is not an implemented feature. Lame!

I found some discussion on this topic on the vbulletin forum. Apparently this is not an implemented feature. Lame!
Probably because that's not what likes are for. If you want to keep track of a topic, you click the SUBSCRIBE button top-right.

Likes are just a way to say you agree with something one said or, well, like it.

We have all gotten used to the SEARCH function of the forum having always been broken... Has anyone tested it recently to bring up old posts? Does it work or is it still broken?

I'm just going to reiterate that "Like" buttons have been tried, abused, and generally rejected on other forums.

Probably because that's not what likes are for. If you want to keep track of a topic, you click the SUBSCRIBE button top-right.

Likes are just a way to say you agree with something one said or, well, like it.

That’s utter nonsense. Likes are certainly used as bookmarks on many forums. Subscribe does not bookmark a post, it just subscribes you to a thread. Not remotely the same functionality.

Then they are doing something wrong. And stupid. I have noticed a trend for using a "star" to indicate a bookmark, but your selections are not visible to other users, so it is not the same as a "like", which is public.

"Modern" user interfaces make me want to gouge my eyes out. Well, most modern user interfaces even offer to do it for me.

I mean, I can’t argue that it wasn’t stupid cause I was mistaken about the backend functionality so yeah it was pretty stupid. On the other hand your adherence to using GUIs exactly as the label states and in no other way is…interesting.

Not surprising. The LIKES is for the person being liked (and, perhaps, public persona), rather than as a bookmarking service.

The idea of using LIKES for bookmarking didn't even occur to me. If it were me, it would be a separate function. You could LIKE a post to send accolades to the author, and/or you could STAR or FAVORITE a post for your own personal collection. That's how I would do it.

Not surprising. The LIKES is for the person being liked (and, perhaps, public persona), rather than as a bookmarking service.

The idea of using LIKES for bookmarking didn't even occur to me. If it were me, it would be a separate function. You could LIKE a post to send accolades to the author, and/or you could STAR or FAVORITE a post for your own personal collection. That's how I would do it.

I agree that would be ideal. On the other hand, isn’t it an accolade (indication of usefulness or originality) if a lot of people bookmark your post?

There are lots of site that let you see posts you’ve liked. YouTube, Twitter, and many other bulletin boards. Just because that might not be the originally intended function of the like, doesn’t mean that it hasn’t evolved into that. Even the language isn’t that confusing. On YouTube I can see a page with videos I liked.

I understand that but as mentioned before, its not intended on being a way of finding hi-lited items. Its used for demographics (another reason not to use them), traditional bookmarking with a browser is the best solution.

Back