• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Mark Channels Read" location

konc

Experienced Member
Hello, this is by no means a problem or important, just a usability request: Do you think the "Mark Channels Read" can be made accessible from somewhere in the "New Topics" screen, like it was before? Currently when a user checks the new topics he then has to explicitly go to the forums and reach the bottom of the screen to click it. It took me a while to find it but mostly it makes no sense for someone who rarely visits the forums and usually checks the new topics.
(Unless it's somewhere and I haven't seen it of course...)

I made that request in the very beginning after the new forum went live. I don't see any change request accepted and implemented so far, sadly. Stuff like that or e.g. bringing back the "Location: " under the user name would be a matter of minutes.

The entire UI involving finding/working with new posts is all screwpot now.

These sorts of changes would almost certainly have to be made in the vBulletin software, and it seems like there is very little interest in pursuing such changes. vBulletin is a closed-source commercial product, and as such, probably at the design whims of a marketing department.

Hello, this is by no means a problem or important, just a usability request: Do you think the "Mark Channels Read" can be made accessible from somewhere in the "New Topics" screen, like it was before? Currently when a user checks the new topics he then has to explicitly go to the forums and reach the bottom of the screen to click it. It took me a while to find it but mostly it makes no sense for someone who rarely visits the forums and usually checks the new topics.
(Unless it's somewhere and I haven't seen it of course...)

I would absolutely love to do this. I am not sure if it is possible, but I will keep have to see if I can do some research on this and make it happen.

Thanks again to an internet wizard, I was able to add a link to mark all channels as read in the lower navigation bar, next to "New Topics" that does what is says on the can.

Not in the new topic screen as asked for (and maybe where I'd prefer it), but it does make it accessible and achieves more or less what you asked for.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's not working for me, but I am not sure why. Still working on it, but would love some feedback from others if it works on their end or not.

Last edited:
The Javascript event is missing. The HTML link is not supposed to do anything. You need to attach a click event to it which calls this function:

Code:
function() {
  vBulletin.markchannelsread(0, {
      success: function() {
        location.reload()
      }
    },
    b(this));
  return !1
}

Also, if you are already editing the template and want to make it a bit better: replace the href value of the link. A link that does event-driven Javascript only should have href="javascript:void(0)" instead of href="#". The latter is nonsense, as it is an anchor representing the top of the page.

Last edited:
Back