• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Messages sent to me are blank

fabs0

Every message I receive is just blank, what is going on?
Please see attached image as reference.

Attachments

• photo61998.png
    photo61998.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 1
There is a problem with older members sendibg messages to new members( since the forum upgrade). Both parties get blank messages. It hasnt been fixed and someone has pointed out its a known problem with the new version of vbulletin. You may see the text you are sending as in your picture but the other person does not see it.

I have the same problem ;)

To work around the bug you can forward the "empty message" and it will show as a quote in the new message window
(click the forward button on top of the threat, select all the empty messages and click forward again)

Thanks for the feedback Alex, for now the "forward-workaround" works for me :)

We're still working on the issue. It's not at all apparent what is wrong, but we hope to figure it out.
You have a licence for vBulletin, so don't you have support also? If this is a bug in the software, they should fix it asap!

Install a different theme and check if the error is there as well. Also check the javascript debug console and the PHP log for errors when opening a PM. Might be just a typo in one of the theme files or a syntax error somewhere in the code.

You Think it could be theme related? If so some of us experiencing the problem could revert to the default theme and send each other messages. just to check is the default theme "default vb5 style"?

I recall someone asked to say when this happened so the logs could be checked - I just received a PM from user TShackleton, it was blank in my forum inbox but I saw the content in the email notification. Hope this helps.

So far, every message I've got had the text. I'm not sure if the message I've returned got through because I've not seen any replies ( when expected ).
I believe it is a good idea to note such things as the mail reader one is using and noting the sender. This may help in pinning down what the issue is. I'm using a chromebook and the default reader.
I notice that often times, the sender or receiver has a low count of post. One wonders if it is related to some spam filtering or such.
Dwight

This feels like a permissions issue, and I have been playing around with some minor tweaks for the new users group and verified some settings that were pointed out to me by rouar but everything on the front end looks right. Alex (@ajacocks) is going to work with the board to see if we can work out what is going on with the back end.

There are also some hints that this may be a bug in the vBulletin code, which means it may not be something we can actually fix. But we're still working on it from all angles.

I have:

"Enable Private Messaging" selected.
"Use vB Messenger" selected.
"From All Members" selected.
"Enable Visitor Messaging" selected.

This works for me.

Dave

Back