• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Forum goes deaf if one works with the "previous/next" brownser navigation.

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Occasionally, I'll need to go back to the previously viewed page when working on a reply to a topic. If I then "forward" to the page I was working on, the forum software ceases to respond to anything. I can't post a reply, I can't view new topics, etc. Reloading the page doesn't help. I have to completely exit from the VCF site (i.e. go to a different site) and the return to the VCF page. This really sucks, guys!

Response on the forum is also getting much slower. And in the NEW TOPICS display, I occasionally see that the last person responding to a thread isn't shown. I've missed follow-up postings that way.

Can we please get some forum software that works?

Oh yeah, I'm using FIrefox 78.11.0esr (64-bit).

I've noticed intermittent speed issues. The site is so heavy with scripting crap that fetches/sends data when you mouse over something or editing, it borks everything if there is any kind of network glitch and a connection sits and times out for whatever reason.

I've also noticed that problem with the new topics search lately. The search mode also has been showing some topics as "read" when I'm sure I had not read them yet.

And since we are talking about new topic search, I'll just mention again that trying to go to the last post with that small blue button with no indication how long a thread is, is just retarded. It seems like every time a really old thread is bumped, I wind up reading the entire first page before I realize it was posted in 2014 and the new post is on page 9000.

Often I see the site freeze up. Nothing works for awhile, then it comes back. Safari shows it loading but nothing happens.

Have any of the issues we've raised since the "upgrade" been addressed, even as a "we're working on it" thing? Seems like the response from management across the board has been a big shrug, and the active mods are left holding the bag for them.

I have spent some time going through options in the forum software, but I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know all that much about VB. I’m trying, but there’s only so many switches that I’m going to try to flip, without risking causing more problems.

If others have VB knowledge, and want to offer to help, drop me a line.

- Alex

Have any of the issues we've raised since the "upgrade" been addressed, even as a "we're working on it" thing? Seems like the response from management across the board has been a big shrug, and the active mods are left holding the bag for them.

I really doubt that any more will be done; we are kind of hostages to the software. As always, feel free to contact the board of directors with your feedback. The current board can be found at https://vcfed.org/wp/about/governance/.

I have noted some performance issues with the site. Things like clicking buttons takes for actions can sometimes be near instant, other times 20+ seconds. There is definitely something not right with the back end of this forum, and I plan to take this up with the board of directors and see if we can diagnose the performance issues from the back end (for the record, I have no access to the back end of the forums).

Back