• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Time-ordered list of posts?

daver2

10k Member
This is my last remaining issue with the upgrade that I hope someone can help with please.

My 'use case' for the original forum in a morning was to get a time-ordered list of posts and to scroll down to the last post I made (based on my avatar) and then read them forwards in time. I could always return to my nice time-ordered list by using the "back" button after perusing the post itself when I select it.

However, I don't appear to be able to do the same thing now.

This is what I currently do:

Click on the VCFED logo in the top left of the page.

Select the tab "LATEST ACTIVITY".

Select the "Filter" and turn "New Topics" to OFF.

That almost gives me what I want. However each answered thread appears only once - so if someone has posted later than mine - then my avatar doesn't appear and I end up missing it in my search.

If I go to one of the posts and then return - my filter selection has gone and I have to re-enter it and scroll to where I was once again.

Is there a simple way (that I have so far been unable to locate) to just get a time-ordered list of posts?

The secondary 'niggle' is that "back" tends to not work as well as it should.

Just in passing, some of the buttons lose their images on various platforms. I am on a Windows 10 laptop at the moment and the three button images on the top right of the editor window are missing (Upload Attachments, Toggle Advanced Editor and Add Smilies). I have also noted things like the left and right arrow button images are missing from some pages also. There is probably nothing you can do about this - but it would be worth reporting it back to vB as an error. Quite happy to provide definitive details as to which graphics are missing when run on the various platforms I have if that will be of help. My logic is that if the errors are reported - they may fix them. If we don't report the errors - they will never get fixed...

Cheers,

Dave

I am not too sure I follow you on what the issue is, but I am trying to replicate what you do to see if it makes more sense to me.

As for the "back" issue, I can suggest the work around of right clicking and opening the link in a new tab. This is what I do on most websites in order to keep my place as there are way too many out there that simply don't use "back" they way you'd think they should.

I have just used the right click / new Tab method on my laptop and it works fine. Now to find the same functionality on my iPad... Thanks for that tip - it has the desired effect.

As to my original issue.

I have just posted on an existing thread.

When I click on the main VCFED "black and green" logo on the top left I get a list of forums. I then click on the "LATEST ACTIVITY" tab. I see the thread I posted on - but the original thread creator name and icon is there - not mine (i.e. the poster that appears looks like the original thread creator).

If I then select Filter and turn new topics OFF - I then see my icon and message appear.

So far so good.

However, in this view, if someone else subsequently posts after me on the same thread - their icon will appear in place of mine.

My usual 'workflow' is that in a morning when I check the posts I just want a simple time-ordered list of posts irrespective of who made them, when or to what thread. I can then peruse them until I come to my own logo - whereupon I know that I have checked all of the new posts since I last posted.

It would appear to me as though the current configuration 'hides' some of my posts if someone else posts to the same thread at a later time.

For instance, last night before I went to be, I noticed that you had responded to my post. I used this fact to peruse down the board this morning until I got to your post. However (as I suspect it) if someone else had replied to the same thread I would have seen their post appear - but not yours (yours would have been hidden by theirs) and I would just continue to read past...

Am I explaining it better?

Dave

That does make sense. Thanks.

I'll see what I can dig up, but I suspect this might be a "works as intended" type thing.

This is basically the same thing I've been complaining about. Once you look at a thread, it is gone, unless someone post to it again. There is no easy way to look at something else and go back. One can always search for it, if one knows exactly what to search for. The previous MB would just flag that a post had been read by lowlighting it. This MB hides any thread that may have been looked at, no matter how short a time you have spent reading it. Can you get it to stop doing that.
I used to like looking at all the post back for a day that I might comment about first and order my time based on which post I felt I wanted to comment on. This MB erases a viewed post from the current list of new post rather than just marking it as "read".
Dwight

Lutiana,

Thanks for looking into this.

Case in point, I lost my thread when looking - but saw that Dwight had posted onto it. I didn't even see your post until I opened Dwight's post and scrolled backwards.

There has to be a simple time ordered list surely?! I just haven't found it yet myself...

I notice in the User Settings under the Account Tab there is an item marked Conversation Detail Options that can be set to "Posts" or "Latest Activity". Not sure what these settings give me though? Is there any simple user guide available from VB as to what some of the options actually do?

Dave

Is there any simple user guide available from VB as to what some of the options actually do?

Ha! Therein lies most of my issues with vBulletin, I can't find a simple anything when it comes to working some this out.

Did you see the "Latest Posts" widget I was able to add to the landing page of the forum (click the logo in the top left, then look to the right side of the page). I'd be curious to know is that solves either your, or Dwights issue here.

>>> Ha! Therein lies most of my issues with vBulletin, I can't find a simple anything when it comes to working some this out.

Yes, I have been looking as well...

>>> click the logo in the top left, then look to the right side of the page

Hm, I don't see anything? However, this is not unexpected for this machine/browser combination I am using. I will check my iPad after food!

EDIT: Nope, I can’t see anything on the iPad either.

Dave

Last edited:
Ah ha!

@lutiana.

The “Latest Posts” widget does exactly what I want!

The only issue being that the “View All” button unceremoniously dumps me onto the Advanced Search page.

Cheers,

Dave

Back