Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Should we add section for Pentium IV machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we add section for Pentium IV machines?

Just recently got ATX supply(from repair) for my x86 machine, and was thinking about this for some time. In fact the 32 bits becomes obsolete(and it is probably hard to buy in supermarket new 32 bit machine, because most switched to 64 bit), and vintage in some way(if not why we have there early Pentium section?). Probably not only me is considering it vintage, as stated SomeGuy "20 years? So much time has passed. Even 2001 computers are considered "vintage" now."

This would open the VCF for (probably) new members - people that have Pentium IV as they first machine(and not, my first computer was 8 bit Atari 65 XE), which can be interested in other forum sections in future.

If you are talking about 64-bit Pentium 4 systems, these are not yet 20 years old (they will in 2024).

Actually, only the original Willamette is that old. IMO, we don't need a section for these at this point in time.

Comment

I think we should add P2 and P3 first. (grouped together since they are so similar, and probably grouped with AMD K6-2 and K6-3 and other similar era systems, maybe even K7 athlon)

The only problem with that is that since these groups haven't existed previously, there are lots of posts in the "Pentium first generation" forum already, so unless someone with mod access wanted to take on a painstaking task of moving posts to another area, there would be some mis-categorized stuff for ever.

Comment

Let's rename "Pentium (First generation)" to "Pentium (1st to 3rd generation)" and all is well for the next few years to come.

Comment

Sounds like you are a problem solver! This gets my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Timo W. View Post
            Let's rename "Pentium (First generation)" to "Pentium (1st to 3rd generation)" and all is well for the next few years to come.
            In Poland there is something like "krakowskim targiem" - so why not rename it Pentium(32 bit)? The 32 bit architecture in typical home usage and servers is probably obsolete, and vintage now...

Comment

Originally posted by Timo W. View Post
              That's what I was thinking too.
              PDP-8 and PDP-11 enthusiast. But enjoy most older PC stuff too.

Comment

Sure I can get behind that change.. but even in 2024 I will not be for adding p4s to a category here..

Comment

I got a book for Christmas awhile ago called "Crap Cars"; Vega, Aztec, K-car, Pacer, etc. Maybe there should be a "Crap Pentiums" category.

Comment

Why not just rename it "Pentiums" and let it go at that?
                    Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

Originally posted by resman View Post
                      I got a book for Christmas awhile ago called "Crap Cars"; Vega, Aztec, K-car, Pacer, etc. Maybe there should be a "Crap Pentiums" category.
                      My father had a Vega.. and I know plenty of people who had K cars. And my friends mother had a Cadillac Cimmaron.. Wasnt that a K-car?

And why bother with a posting for Pentium 4? The poster will say... " hey my garbage dell is dead" and we will reply with "you can solve your problem by throwing it out" or "get a pentium 2 or 3 that still works"

Comment

I tend to use the principle that a CPU that can run a currently supported OS is not a vintage system. Since it is possible to run Windows 8.1 and even Windows 10 on a Pentium 4, I think the Pentium 4 has a few years left before it could be considered for a comfortable retirement as a vintage system.

Comment

Agreed, but there is a lull all machines need to go through before they come out vintage on the other side. I dont think we will be there till the late 2020's when some kid has nostalgia for his first PC which ran a version of windows nowhere near as horrible as whatever incarnation is new then.. So sad.. That poor schmuck...

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                            And my friends mother had a Cadillac Cimmaron.. Wasnt that a K-car?
                            Not being a Chrysler product it wasn't, but the GM J-Body was pretty much the same thing.

By the standards of the time and the moribund state of the US automakers coming out of the 1970's the K-car was actually a "decent" piece of engineering, but that says more about the times than the car.
                            My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Orange View Post
                              Why not just rename it "Pentiums" and let it go at that?
                              That would be easiest. And satisfy all Pentium versions.
                              PDP-8 and PDP-11 enthusiast. But enjoy most older PC stuff too.

Comment

Working...
                              X