• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Should we add section for Pentium IV machines?

pgru2

Experienced Member
Just recently got ATX supply(from repair) for my x86 machine, and was thinking about this for some time. In fact the 32 bits becomes obsolete(and it is probably hard to buy in supermarket new 32 bit machine, because most switched to 64 bit), and vintage in some way(if not why we have there early Pentium section?). Probably not only me is considering it vintage, as stated SomeGuy "20 years? So much time has passed. Even 2001 computers are considered "vintage" now."

This would open the VCF for (probably) new members - people that have Pentium IV as they first machine(and not, my first computer was 8 bit Atari 65 XE), which can be interested in other forum sections in future.

If you are talking about 64-bit Pentium 4 systems, these are not yet 20 years old (they will in 2024).

Actually, only the original Willamette is that old. IMO, we don't need a section for these at this point in time.

I think we should add P2 and P3 first. (grouped together since they are so similar, and probably grouped with AMD K6-2 and K6-3 and other similar era systems, maybe even K7 athlon)

The only problem with that is that since these groups haven't existed previously, there are lots of posts in the "Pentium first generation" forum already, so unless someone with mod access wanted to take on a painstaking task of moving posts to another area, there would be some mis-categorized stuff for ever.

Let's rename "Pentium (First generation)" to "Pentium (1st to 3rd generation)" and all is well for the next few years to come. :D

Let's rename "Pentium (First generation)" to "Pentium (1st to 3rd generation)" and all is well for the next few years to come. :D

In Poland there is something like "krakowskim targiem" - so why not rename it Pentium(32 bit)? The 32 bit architecture in typical home usage and servers is probably obsolete, and vintage now...

I got a book for Christmas awhile ago called "Crap Cars"; Vega, Aztec, K-car, Pacer, etc. Maybe there should be a "Crap Pentiums" category.

I got a book for Christmas awhile ago called "Crap Cars"; Vega, Aztec, K-car, Pacer, etc. Maybe there should be a "Crap Pentiums" category.

My father had a Vega.. and I know plenty of people who had K cars. And my friends mother had a Cadillac Cimmaron.. Wasnt that a K-car?

And why bother with a posting for Pentium 4? The poster will say... " hey my garbage dell is dead" and we will reply with "you can solve your problem by throwing it out" or "get a pentium 2 or 3 that still works"

I tend to use the principle that a CPU that can run a currently supported OS is not a vintage system. Since it is possible to run Windows 8.1 and even Windows 10 on a Pentium 4, I think the Pentium 4 has a few years left before it could be considered for a comfortable retirement as a vintage system.

Agreed, but there is a lull all machines need to go through before they come out vintage on the other side. I dont think we will be there till the late 2020's when some kid has nostalgia for his first PC which ran a version of windows nowhere near as horrible as whatever incarnation is new then.. So sad.. That poor schmuck...

And my friends mother had a Cadillac Cimmaron.. Wasnt that a K-car?

Not being a Chrysler product it wasn't, but the GM J-Body was pretty much the same thing.

By the standards of the time and the moribund state of the US automakers coming out of the 1970's the K-car was actually a "decent" piece of engineering, but that says more about the times than the car.

Not being a Chrysler product it wasn't, but the GM J-Body was pretty much the same thing.

By the standards of the time and the moribund state of the US automakers coming out of the 1970's the K-car was actually a "decent" piece of engineering, but that says more about the times than the car.

My father was a mechanic at a Cadillac dealer. Even he claimed the Caddy was just a pimped out Chevrolet made for comfort. He always said he'd rather own a Lincoln instead of a Caddy. The Chrysler K cars were a joke. I had to rent one and it was severely underpowered.

My father was a mechanic at a Cadillac dealer. Even he claimed the Caddy was just a pimped out Chevrolet made for comfort. He always said he'd rather own a Lincoln instead of a Caddy. The Chrysler K cars were a joke. I had to rent one and it was severely underpowered.

Yeah but John Voight owned a Chrysler LeBaron...... so there you go...

Some of the turbocharged K-Car derivatives achieved V8 levels of performance. This one did 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, which is fast even by today's standards:

And I vote for calling the subforum "Pentium and newer". Let the community decide what counts as "vintage", rather than impose an arbitrary cutoff. It's not like we're so overflowing with activity lately that we need to turn some people away.

The Chrysler K cars were a joke. I had to rent one and it was severely underpowered.

The VW Golf GT Mk1 was one of the quickest and most nimble cars of the 1970's (again, this puts the whole era in pespective) but try telling that to someone who's sole experience with the platform was a Rabbit Diesel. Rental cars generally don't represent the best in breed for any vehicle.

I chauffeured people and things around a lot for my job in a late 80's Plymouth Reliant in the early 1990's. It was... fine. For an 80's American car it was perfectly acceptable. And they had a better reliability reputation than some of their Ford and GM counterparts; those J-cars had an infamously bad automatic transmission for several years.

Back