Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

General Gripes about the New Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Gripes about the New Board

I couldn't find a thread to put this in but :

The PM section sux or is lacking. I obediently trashed all my Personal Message overloads and more but no in-yer-face notifications like in the earlier board. I did do a check of it BETA but saw no evident problems at the time. OK I'm willing to put up with some inconveniences if only to get the ability to also forward attachments. But the problems with the board gobbling messages seemed to fade with the new provider. I guess like with any new media I'll learn its ins and outs, but for now I'm not impressed. In case I'm invoking Vlad's blanket accusations of lack of respect for your expendature Erik, consider that I had no great problems with the last board, and the new provider seemed to have taken care of the msg-gobbling problem. Your board, your call, your expense.
    No big problem. I'd love to drive one of your cars tho !!

Lawrence
    Economics isn't a real science. It's an evil art designed for the rich.

I'm not sure what you find lacking in the PM system here compared to the PHPBB system.

Here you can download your messages to various file types (CSV, flat text, etc.) before deleting them so you've always got a record.

You can send PMs to multiple recipients (up to ten at a shot the way I've got it set, although I could bump that up if there's reason to.)

You can attach files to PMs.

You can use the same WYSIWYG editor for PMs that you use for posts.

You can create PM folders and categorize your messages.

You can set up (in User CP) a pop-up that notifies you of new mail when you are online.

It may be a little harder to get used to than the old system, but it's certainly more capable.

Unless I'm missing something, that is.
    The Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace
    The Vintage Computer

Comment

Originally posted by Micom 2000

In case I'm invoking Vlad's blanket accusations of lack of respect for your expendature Erik,

Lawrence

I didn't accuse anyone of anything, I just pitched a fit about people complaining about this and that after Erik blew through that kind of money to make the forum a better place for us. You can't please everyone. For that short time I ran one, I didn't like phpBB's Admin system. It has a strage menu layout. I haven't seen VB's Admin system, (Never used it) but if it's anything like the Moderator CP, then its way better. With VB, theres also less upgrades and garbage than phpBB. My point is that Erik made the switch for the better of the forum.

-V
      sigpic

Comment

Well so far I'm not enamored with it, except for the ability to do attachments. I'll have to get used to it and learn the ins and outs. But generally my reaction is similiar to the "improvement" upgrades on Win Media
        Player or those on Adobe Reader that has rendered it almost unusable.

Of course I also absolutely refuse to use anything other than text only e-mail and forum messaging. Just a curmudgeon I guess.

Lawrence

Comment

Sounds like another vote for a text BBS system.

Comment

Personally, I've become more customized to the old layout:

Code:
            .-----v-------------------------.
            | who | message message message |
            |     |                         |
            |     |                   reply |
            `-----^-------------------------´
            but I guess it is a matter of preference. I found no user selectable themes - maybe there are none installed.

The highlighted icons on the left of the main page, indicating new posts, don't clear when I've read each section, but I tend to remember another vBulletin system which worked the same way - the "new posts" icons clear after an amount of time, not based on whether you read everything or not.
            Anders Carlsson

Comment

of course like everyone, i am happy we have a forum go to!

for me, i guess the new format will take a little getting used to, but eventually i won't even remember what the old one was like

chris
              The vic rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by carlsson
                I found no user selectable themes - maybe there are none installed.
                Yeah, not yet. I've gotta do some digging to see what's out there.

If you find anything that you're particularly fond of please let me know.

Originally posted by carlsson
                The highlighted icons on the left of the main page, indicating new posts, don't clear when I've read each section, but I tend to remember another vBulletin system which worked the same way - the "new posts" icons clear after an amount of time, not based on whether you read everything or not.
                There may be (should be) some settings that either I can make or users can make to adjust how that works somewhat. . . I'll add it to my list!

Thanks!
                The Vintage Computer

Comment

I don't know about any particular themes. Most of these themes only are colour and/or font variations anyway, not too radical ones.

At least the login from front page now works for me - I never tried it with the phpBB system after you switched provider a couple of times, but with the old provider, I got odd results if I didn't log in via the PM.
                  Anders Carlsson

Comment

I've now learned that after writing your reply, you must not, on penalty of deletion click on "Post Reply" rathet than "submit". Strangely enough my latest message only lost 1/2 of what I had written. Can't remember what I did to that point.

Lawrence

Comment

I have also learned that clicking on "New Posts" prior to logging in is not a good thing to do. It will make a list of recent posts, but as soon as you later log in, the read markers are updated and you have no unread posts. :-/
                      Anders Carlsson

Comment

I just have it set to log-in automatically, and I don't have that problem. (Of course, I haven't yet figgered out how to send an attachment).

--T
                        Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Yager
                          I just have it set to log-in automatically, and I don't have that problem. (Of course, I haven't yet figgered out how to send an attachment).
                          I do the auto-login thing at all the vBulletin systems I visit. Of course, if you don't like cookies then that's not for you!

As for attachments, just click the "Manage Attachments" button below the advanced message editor window and you can upload attachments from your computer or from the net.

Let me know how that works for you!
                          The Vintage Computer

Comment

Hello Erik,

Thank you so much for all your efforts. Regarding your comment "You can attach files to PMs", would you please explain how we can add attachments to our private messages?

ziloo

Comment

Originally posted by ziloo
                              Regarding your comment "You can attach files to PMs", would you please explain how we can add attachments to our private messages?
                              I just took a quick look and couldn't figure it out myself. . . I may have been mistaken about that feature.

I'll take a closer look when I have a bit more time and see if I can get it to go.

Sorry.
                              The Vintage Computer

Comment

Working...
                              X