• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can I turn off the "Last edited by" link on my posts?

computerdude92

Veteran Member
I don't like it that when I do my simple edits and spell checking, that if I do it too many times, the bottom of my post will say "Last edited by ComputerDude92 at __::__AM/PM" It makes me feel uncomfortable that anyone can see my revisions and compare them. I really don't think it's their business to see it, no offence.

Is there not a text box you can describe the edit reason with?

Edited: Ah, okay so yes. There is a place you can give a reason for the edit. Don't feel so insecure that you had to go back and fix typos. I've had to go back three or four times on a few posts because there was a lot of spelling mistakes.

Last edited:
3 or 4 times are a really short post for me. 6 or 7 times on a good size post. Life is too short to worry about such stuff. I often post incorrect information. I don't like to change the content of post so you may see me add text that I was in error. Making mistakes is part of being human.
Dwight

I don't like it that when I do my simple edits and spell checking, that if I do it too many times, the bottom of my post will say "Last edited by ComputerDude92 at __::__AM/PM" It makes me feel uncomfortable that anyone can see my revisions and compare them. I really don't think it's their business to see it, no offence.
What leads you to believe that anyone (other than you and the mods) can see your revisions and compare them?

I'm not even sure that the mods can.

That timestamp is important. It's important to know if someone altered something.

well it exists because you can say something, someone quotes it, you can then go back and edit it out, and it will be recorded as being changed.

well it exists because you can say something, someone quotes it, you can then go back and edit it out, and it will be recorded as being changed.
That does not address the issue at all.

The OP has claimed that anyone can view his previous revisions which is not correct to begin with. Only the OP (and the mods) can view his own revisions.

What leads you to believe that anyone (other than you and the mods) can see your revisions and compare them?

Because I was able to click on mine, but looking at NeXTs post, it does not let you click on it. I just didn’t understand how it works.

How come a Unregistered Guest can make posts?

This is Highly Suspicious. Looks like Russian advertising. I hit the little triangle thingy to notify the Mods.

Edit:
Looks like a moderator has deleted the offending post. Thank you MODS!! Man, that was bizarre! Any idea how that one got through?

Last edited:
They can.

I don't mean to sound like one of those guys but "links please" or "pics or it didn't happen" or whatever the proper way to say this is these days..

I don't expect you'd be wrong, but, I've heard from several high profile VBulletin owners/mods who after someone complained that a poster posted something illegal and then edited it out, that they had no way to see previous edits, nor even user-deleted posts.

Now maybe it's a configuration issue, or, they just say that for security reasons, I don't know.

I could be wrong.

Here's what one of the docs has to say:

Time Limit on Editing of Posts (default: 0)
Number of minutes after which a user cannot continue to edit a given message.

After this time limit only moderators are able edit or delete the message.

From other info I have read it appears that Mods/Admins are able to see the Edit Post History as well as continue to edit posts indefinitely.

Why don't you ask someone who has full and active knowledge about this for a more definitive answer?

Why don't you ask someone who has full and active knowledge about this for a more definitive answer?

Because I've found in the past that they either
-are too busy or exhausted from their work with the software to answer
or
-don't want to give away that kind of information.

I guess that takes us back to the manual:

Time Limit on Editing of Posts (default: 0)
Number of minutes after which a user cannot continue to edit a given message.

After this time limit only moderators are able edit or delete the message.

That doesn't indicate though that mods can see the previous contents of a edited post. I expect that they can see a log of timestamps from edits, but not the actual content of past edits.

Back