• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I bought a Vintage IBM G40 Monitor for My IBM PC Series 350 and it won't turn on?

thegenerallee86

Experienced Member
It seems to have no power at all, I am trying to open it up and only see 2 screws and there is 2 slits on the top backside of the monitor that I think there is clips deep in it or something and my thin screw driver will not go far enough in to do anything can anyone help me?

Yes, there are clips inside that thing way in there. They are attached to the rear part of the enclosure, and each clip has two prongs that stick out into the front section. The two prongs are then joined together with a spade-shaped end part that puts pressure up into the front of the housing, locking behind some protruding hooks.

They made a tool that opens it, but you can do it with a long, very thin screwdriver or something.

To get it open, you have to wedge something down the center and get it on top of the spade-shaped end part of the clips, and then pull them down past the hooks attached to the front. There are four hooks on the front, two for each of the spades. You have to get the screwdriver between those hooks and then on top of the spades.

It may take a longer tool than you are using. I've done it before on a 12" PS2 monitor, and it was hell. I messed up the plastic somewhat.

If you also mess up the plastic, you can carefully use a heat gun on the plastic and it should return to it's original shape somewhat. ABS plastic has memory to it. But still try to be careful and not mess it up. This trick doesn't always work, depending on how bad it is.

Yes, there are clips inside that thing way in there. They are attached to the rear part of the enclosure, and each clip has two prongs that stick out into the front section. The two prongs are then joined together with a spade-shaped end part that puts pressure up into the front of the housing, locking behind some protruding hooks.

They made a tool that opens it, but you can do it with a long, very thin screwdriver or something.

To get it open, you have to wedge something down the center and get it on top of the spade-shaped end part of the clips, and then pull them down past the hooks attached to the front. There are four hooks on the front, two for each of the spades. You have to get the screwdriver between those hooks and then on top of the spades.

It may take a longer tool than you are using. I've done it before on a 12" PS2 monitor, and it was hell. I messed up the plastic somewhat.

If you also mess up the plastic, you can carefully use a heat gun on the plastic and it should return to it's original shape somewhat. ABS plastic has memory to it. But still try to be careful and not mess it up. This trick doesn't always work, depending on how bad it is.
Ok thank You and here are some pics of what I see:

I haven't done it in awhile, or specifically to a G40. IBM used clips inside slots like that with multiple monitors. Looking at your photo, it may be that the inside configuration is slightly different, but I can see there is a white piece of plastic (presumably the clip) that it behind a darker area. If you had a way to take a higher res photo it might help you more. I would also use a flashlight to shine down in the hole to take the photo and not just your flash.

If it was me, I would probably just use a tape measure and try to guestimate. I guess you can't be too long, right?

Another thing I'm not sure I mentioned, you have to pull down both clips simultaneously. That makes actually separating the halves and doing it at the same time by yourself basically impossible. You are going to need two tools and a friend to help you do it.

I haven't done it in awhile, or specifically to a G40. IBM used clips inside slots like that with multiple monitors. Looking at your photo, it may be that the inside configuration is slightly different, but I can see there is a white piece of plastic (presumably the clip) that it behind a darker area. If you had a way to take a higher res photo it might help you more. I would also use a flashlight to shine down in the hole to take the photo and not just your flash.

If it was me, I would probably just use a tape measure and try to guestimate. I guess you can't be too long, right?

Another thing I'm not sure I mentioned, you have to pull down both clips simultaneously. That makes actually separating the halves and doing it at the same time by yourself basically impossible. You are going to need two tools and a friend to help you do it.

Thank You at least now I know I'm on the right track, I just got to find a small screw driver long enough to get to it cause I could only get a really small screw driver to fit in there.

Back