Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Roving dark spot on CRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roving dark spot on CRT

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Seems to change when the monitor is tapped or moved around.

https://youtu.be/-rQUJfjtV-g

The fact that the spot remains in the same place regardless of sync or lack of it tells me that something has flaked off the innards and is occluding the electron beam. Perhaps cathode detritus? It clearly moves a bit when you tap the side of the monitor. I think the best you can hope for is for the schmutz, whatever it is, to drop into an area where it doesn't get in the way. Have you tried running the monitor upside down, on its face, on one side or the other, etc.? Maybe you can dislodge it.

Comment

Yeah, that's strange, LOL. The first thing I would do is make sure the board connected to the yoke is connected well (loose, cold solder joints, etc..) I'm no monitor expert though. Someone else may know the exact cause.

See, Chuck above posted just before I did. That explanation does make sense.

Comment

Adding on chuck's suggestion, have you tried picking up the monitor and shaking/jumping with it in your hands? :P
        [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

That's a pretty bizarre fault, but the fact that it changes when you tap the monitor likely means there's a bad solder joint somewhere that is at least contributing to the fault.

Comment

Thanks guys. Strange thing is that spot wasn't there when I first fired it up. I then moved it about to look at the broken feet from the stand and that's when it appeared. My concern here is that even though the monitor looks cosmetically great, it clearly was abused by FedEx and I wonder if something may have broken internally. But what Chuck mentioned is interesting. I can certainly try turning it upside down and see what happens. It's a nice little monitor.. I'd love to have at least one working RGB monitor in addition to my 5154.

Comment

Ok I just reviewed my earlier video of when I first fired it up and I was wrong.. it had that dark spot and it was huge.. all the way down almost to the bottom. So if anything it got better in my later video that I posted here.

Comment

That is a very weird looking issue. The way it moves when you tilt the monitor does make me think it might be in the tube. But it might be worth opening the unit up and just tapping around on the electronics with a plastic tool to see if anything else in there triggers movement.

Comment

Flake-off from the cathode coating used to be one of the failures in the old TV days. The problem was that the flakes are somewhat conductive and if they fall between two elements, the CRT is inoperable. CRT "Rejuvinators" often had a "Remove Shorts" function--but don't try it on a Trinitron--you'll destroy the CRT. It was a gamble--if you could clear a short by zapping it, you'd save the cost of replacing an otherwise non-functioning CRT. In your case, however, you don't have a short; just some crud in the way of the beam.

Comment

There is likely nothing at all wrong with the CRT. And if there was anything in the way of the beam the defect would remain a fixed shadow.

There is likely a defect in the blanking pulse circuitry. The beam blanking pulses, both H & V, should be a clean rectangular wave. But after flyback the H pulses have a large tail on them continuing to blank the beam which recovers after about 1/4 of the V scan. The fact it is changing suggests capacitor leakage issues in the blanking sub-circuits.

If you post the schematic I can advise where to test with the scope.

Comment

How do you explain that the dark spot remains stationary after sync is lost (tail end of the video), Hugo? That's what caught my eye.

Not saying that you're wrong, Hugo--my eyes could be playing tricks on me. It wouldn't be the first time.
                      Last edited by Chuck(G); May 4, 2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                        How do you explain that the dark spot remains stationary after sync is lost (tail end of the video), Hugo? That's what caught my eye.

Not saying that you're wrong, Hugo--my eyes could be playing tricks on me. It wouldn't be the first time.
                        The blanking pulses are not derived from sync directly, they are derived mainly from the H & V scan output stages, so it does not matter if there is a video input to the monitor or not, if there is a H blanking pulse defect it will still be there in the scanning raster in the same place, why it is not there for all H scanning lines I am not sure yet.

This sort of thing relates to the age old question, when a defect is seen in the image, is the defect in the Picture Content or is it in the Scanning Raster. In this case, the fact it remains there, with no signal, means it is in the scanning raster.Which also means something could be physically obstructing the beam, but when I have see that its always a fixed unchanging shadow.

Looking at the form of it, it looks like the H blanking pulses are abnormal just after the start of scan to give that tear drop like effect where the beam is being cut off in that zone. Probably, where the H & V blanking pulses are mixed, there will be a faulty capacitor. It depends on the design, some sets use a dedicated blanking amplifier. So we need the schematic.

Edit : and pondering it more, if the vertical blanking signal was modulating the H blanking, then even de-synchronized with no video input, the defect would stay in the same place, starting just after H and V retrace in the upper left of the image.

This is just an initial hunch of course.
                        Last edited by Hugo Holden; May 4, 2021, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I watched the video here are my observations.

1) the raster is square, correct size and properly aligned.
                          The yoke and alignment magnets must be in the correct place

2) focus and brightness are good
                          tube voltages are nominal

3) color purity is good
                          gun is undamaged and not dislocated

4) "the blob" moves smoothly as the monitor is turned.
                          if this were a bad contact it would jump not move smoothly so not electrical.

whats left is mechanical. two things come to mind:

The supports for the shadow mask/aperture-grille are damaged displacing it, blocking the beam and shifting due to gravity
                          or
                          The coating (anode) on the inside of the tube is separating from the glass envelope and blocking the beam.

neither is good news.

What I would do if it were mine.... set it on its side and whack it like a bongo.
                          It will do nothing or make it better or make worse. But right now it's E-waste ;^(

joe

Comment

4) "the blob" moves smoothly as the monitor is turned.
                            if this were a bad contact it would jump not move smoothly so not electrical.

Yes, if that is the case, I agree it cannot likely be electrical. Possibly a flap of internal aquadag as you suggest.

Though looking at the early part video again, there is something interesting that goes against that theory, in that when the monitor is not being bumped or moved there is a sudden rapid change in geometry of the area, and it is hard to understand how that could happen with internal an internal loose flap of aquadag or debris occluding the beam. (though I guess electron impact might explain it) Even though its also difficult to not think that if the problem is vibration/movement sensitive , that it must be a defect inside the CRT.

If it were my monitor, before I condemned the CRT, I would look at the grid-cathode signals on the CRT with the scope, just to make 100% certain the beam was not being cut off electrically by defective blanking signals.
                            Last edited by Hugo Holden; May 7, 2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I would loosen the deflection yoke, and try rotating it to see if the dark spot moves with the image. If it doesn't, then it has to be something inside the CRT.

Comment

Working...
                              X