• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Zenith SupersPORT LCD “repair”

thenzero

Experienced Member
Alright folks…I need some advice. Either troubleshooting or whether to give up. This is the same SupersPORT 286 that I’ve posted about a few times. The lcd backlight went out (in retrospect it was probably just the transformer on the power supply) and I decided to replace it with a red one. The new backlight looks great but when I put it back together there were a lot of lines all over the screen. I took it back apart and checked everything and put it back together again and now there are only a few lines (see picture). The screen is totally usable but it’s annoying. Any ideas on what might be causing this? Also including a picture of the pcb for kicks.

if this might be a difficult or impossible repair I’m also considering just removing the LCD assembly entirely and just using this as a desktop computer with an external monitor (took a picture in this configuration as well). Thoughts on that idea?

4FDC50A6-19D3-4EC6-9F2C-06E978C4150C.jpeg 2B83A2D4-E95F-4F27-B1B4-26DE9F037EB7.jpeg AA5BFD36-55E1-4B84-B833-4233852601A0.jpeg

You didn't twist the tabs on the back of your screen to get the backlight out, did you?

I did something like this a long time ago (almost 12 years ago, in fact), and I had the same problem. What you have is a ZEBRA connector (i.e. a long rubber connection with multiple contact strips in the center) problem. Some of them are not making contact with the golden contact fingers on the screen PCB. You might be able to fix it if you press on those areas from the front, but you may have taken the precision out of the contacts. (I say MAY.)

You didn't twist the tabs on the back of your screen to get the backlight out, did you?

That’s…. Exactly what I did *sheepish* I didn’t realize until I got in there that you could just slide the backlight out the side.

I did something like this a long time ago (almost 12 years ago, in fact), and I had the same problem. What you have is a ZEBRA connector (i.e. a long rubber connection with multiple contact strips in the center) problem. Some of them are not making contact with the golden contact fingers on the screen PCB. You might be able to fix it if you press on those areas from the front, but you may have taken the precision out of the contacts. (I say MAY.)

That explains why it was so messed up the first time but got a lot better when I disassembled and reassembled it. Would it be worthwhile to do that again? Assuming the contacts weren’t damaged, is there any way to ensure that the zebra connector is lined up properly before tightening it down?

That explains why it was so messed up the first time but got a lot better when I disassembled and reassembled it. Would it be worthwhile to do that again? Assuming the contacts weren’t damaged, is there any way to ensure that the zebra connector is lined up properly before tightening it down?

I would not worry about the screen being misaligned. What I think you have here is a case of air getting underneath it and ever so slightly pushing the contacts off. I would be careful, but try finding a way to clamp that part down without breaking the board or the screen as you re-twist the tab back into place. (You might be able to get a plastic black and orange clamp at Lowes or Home Depot.) Take this with a grain of salt though, because I was never able to get my screen working again when I tried to fix it all those years ago.

I wonder if there’s some sort of conductive adhesive or other something I could apply to fix the air problem…

I’ve got lots of different types of clamps…can you link to an example of what you’re thinking here?

DUDE!!!!! there were in fact TWO zebra connectors, one along the top and one along the bottom. Took two tries but look:

81B1E3B0-4D12-4ED6-BBFF-14B58165D9A8.jpeg
I initially tried your clamp suggestion but it was kind of cumbersome. In the end my forefinger and thumb made a good enough clamp while I twisted down the tabs. Thank you so much!

Also ended up testing the old backlight that I removed. The backlight itself was bad! Isn’t that surprising? I figured it was the power supply.

Good! I'm glad! I was worried that another screen was going to bite the dust, because I never got mine to come back. (and I had to trash it)

It’s still a little wonky, especially when there’s full screen graphics but it is very usable. Thanks again for the suggestions/advice/knowledge.

Would deoxit work to help the zebra connector do you think? Or would that just short it out?

Back