• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old school IDE to CF adapter

thenzero

Experienced Member
I was looking at adding a cf adapter to a 286 machine but all (well…most) of the ide cables I have have one of the pins near the middle blocked on the connector. However the motherboard of this computer has a pin there. Are modern cf adapters compatible with an older 286 motherboard?

(By the way…if the answer is “it depends”, let me know what to look for and I’ll report back with more info)

I went ahead and tried the cf adapter with an ide cable that had the extra pin spot but the computer wouldn’t boot with it connected.

Attaching a picture of the motherboard and the original hard drive connector.

Attachments

• photo61815.jpg
    photo61815.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1
Even in the earliest of my drive literature, IDE/PATA pin 20 is noted as "key--unused"--I think my first IDE drive was a CDC Wren II--about 70MB 5.25" half-height. The idea of a "key" position was to make it impossible to insert the connector "upside down".

A stupid question, so please forgive me. Have you installed a hard drive on the same connector yet?

Many CF adapters and most DOMs use that pin for power, so they can run from the IDE cable only.

Your 286 may not like that. You could remove or isolate that pin from the CF adapter and see if that makes a difference.

With all that's been written here, I assumed that you were observant enough to select a period-appropriately sized CF on a 286 system. (I've got CFs varying in capacity from 2 MB--that's right two megabytes, sixteen megabytes, 32 MB... and so on.) If you're trying to use a gigabyte or multi-gigabyte CF card, you have your answer.

I keep forgetting how old I am...:(

Hmm, well it’s not posting with the cf adapter connected, nothing to do with the size of the card. It’s not even powering on.

With all that's been written here, I assumed that you were observant enough to select a period-appropriately sized CF on a 286 system. (I've got CFs varying in capacity from 2 MB--that's right two megabytes, sixteen megabytes, 32 MB... and so on.) If you're trying to use a gigabyte or multi-gigabyte CF card, you have your answer.

I keep forgetting how old I am...:(

This only hurts my feelings (and confuses me) a tiny bit. Picture attached of my card and adapter. You can tell me if you think this is too large but it seems to work on my other systems.

Attachments

• photo61818.jpg
    photo61818.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2
This only hurts my feelings (and confuses me) a tiny bit. Picture attached of my card and adapter. You can tell me if you think this is too large but it seems to work on my other systems.

I apologize--I didn't get much sleep (arthritis) and am very grouchy today. If the 286 is of a more recent (closer to 1990 than 1985) vintage, a 128 MB CF card should work. Can you boot this system from floppy? There's a Seagate tool that does a direct inquiry on the drive (bypasses the BIOS) and can tell you if you're actually connecting.

Sorry to hear about the arthritis, that’s a bear. Totally understandable. Currently running a scan disk on the original drive but when it’s done I will put the cf adapter back in and try booting from a floppy.

Attachments

• photo61821.jpg
    photo61821.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1
Hmm, well it’s not posting with the cf adapter connected, nothing to do with the size of the card. It’s not even powering on.

So the PSU is not starting with the CF adapter connected ??
Some of these CF adapters have an IDE header pin/s grounded that shouldn't be and that will cause the PSU to not start, Check pin 28 of the cf adapter header to see if it is grounded. I have had this problem before on different adapter.

Back