• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Connecting Wang PM-004 displays

schatzi

Hello!
I recently acquired two Wang Pm-004 displays, each with a Wang 4220 bases (I assume for controlling and rendering terminal connections?) .
Here's a picture of each.
signal-2021-06-18-165424_001.jpeg
I want to get them working, but I am missing 2/3 of the required display cables and I'm curious if anyone knows anything about these to help me find/create replacements.

The bases are identical, with these 5 and 8 pin DIN connectors shown below with these symbols (I'm guessing the '+' is beam control and the '<)' is the scanning signals). The Monitor with the knobs has the same connectors on the bottom of this, and I have the 5 pin + connector, but not the other one. I don't have a multimeter available to me for a few days to check if the given cable is a straight through or cross over cable, because I want to guess that the same engineers would use the same type for the other one. I'm hoping to be able to buy something like this [https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Male...ywords=8-pin+din+cable&qid=1624050569&sr=8-3] to replace it.
signal-2021-06-18-165424_004.jpeg
The monitor with no knobs has a connector with 10 pins I've never seen before, here is a picture of that:
signal-2021-06-18-165424_009.jpeg

So here are my questions:
1. Does anyone have documentation about these things, as most internet searches barely return anything besides old ebay listings.
2. Would that simple 8 pin DIN cable work for that monitor, and if it might not, should I worry about that damaging the monitor if I tried.
3. What is that weird 10 pin connector called and/or what is the pinout relative to the DIN cables?
4. There are 2 sets of 10 dip switches on the back of the 4220 base, how do I figure out what those do?

Probably all of these would be answered with the docs from question 1, or some deconstruction and reverse engineering, but I welcome any advice you may have.
Thank you

Attachments

• signal-2021-06-18-165424_008.jpeg
    signal-2021-06-18-165424_008.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 2
So I bought that 8 pin Din and fortunately it works. I also purchased the proper cable for the other off of ebay and when it arrives I'll test the contacts and post about the pinouts here for someone else who finds themself in the same situation without there being one on ebay.
New Problem is that only one of these bases give a picture when the monitor is connected, and it gives "ERR 8277 00 33 33 12 0000" and I don't know what to think about that without knowing what these are called or where I can find docs
I also posted about this in the [Other] section hoping to catch the attention of a Wang enthusiast[sic] who can help, if that's discouraged on this site I apologize, I'm new here.
Thanks for any help and I mean any help. Tell me anything you know about these devices because I am in the dark.

So I cracked each one open. The one that puts an error code on the screen has a bunch of jumpers in it and the other that gives no video output at all has none save for a lone flip flop chip that had a bent leg, perhaps was done in manufacturing, though the first one also has both of its ROM chips missing their official wang stickers, instead having their ID's written on in sharpie on what I am guessing are replacement EPROMs.
These two ROM chips and the Z80 processor inside are the only seated chips, and swapping them between machines gave the same outcomes on both so that leads me to believe they are all working. Still crossing my fingers that someone comes through with documentation or else I picture I'm going to need to dump the main rom and poke through it looking to reverse engineer what test the error code is reliant on, then doing my best to trace out the offending memory location, and the non-outputting one may have a bad shift register or crystal or something in the screen rendering circuit I'd need to check with a scope or something.
So if anyone has an expert opinion that can save me some computer engineering that would be grand.

What I don't know:
- What the error code means
- If the jumpers on the more functional machine are done by manufacturing or by a later servicer, and if they are what would fix the non-working unit
- What's wrong with the second unit's video output, as the working one at least put a green rectangle up when powered up with no main ROM, leading me to believe a broken connection somewhere.
- What these machines are called or where to get documentation

Attachments

• signal-2021-06-24-204014_002.jpeg
    signal-2021-06-24-204014_002.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 3
  • signal-2021-06-24-204014.jpeg
    signal-2021-06-24-204014.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 3
  • signal-2021-06-24-204014_003.jpeg
    signal-2021-06-24-204014_003.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 3
Patch wires like that are usually for correcting mistakes on a PCB or for dealing with alternate component parts that the PCB was not exactly designed for. With or without, if the unit shipped, it should have "worked" when new.

I have no idea what these units are exactly either. My only suggestion would be to see if there are any other part numbers anywhere on or in the unit that might return some results.

If you're willing to part with one of the monitors for a not insane price, please do send me a DM. I have a Wang Professional computer that needs it's partner ;) I don't need the terminal station, just the monitor, but I'd consider grabbing it if you didn't want to split it up.

Back