• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DeOxit for keyswitches?

falter

Veteran Member
I'm working on restoring this Netronics terminal and the keyboard has some dead keys. The keyswitch itself seems to be sealed and not openable. The only point of entry is where the plunger moves. I'm wondering if Deoxit is as miraculous as advertised and could potentially work here? Deoxit is rare in Canada.. have to order it online and it's not cheap, so I thought I'd check.

they look fairly unpleasant to deal with http://www.techdose.com/repairlog/Fi...457/page1.html
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Stackpole_torsion_spring

you may have to drill a small hole and inject dielectric grease
the patents on the wiki mentioned they added a silicone cap to the switch mechanism to increase longevity

Mine have the spring on the inside. And yeah, I don't think they're going to be fun at all. Some of them are also sticking mechanically. I could steal some from another Netronics keyboard I have but I'd prefer to find a way to fix em.

Here is how to fix them:

Provided you understand the internal anatomy of the switch you are dealing with, there is plenty of hope. And there are photos of a cut open switch to help you.

You can work out where to drill a very small diameter hole( 1mm is suitable), without the drill tip damaging the internal mechanism. And do it very gently with no significant overshoot where the drill just passes into the hollow part of the switch body, so that little plastic swarf is introduced into the mechanism.

Then with a can of CRC's contact cleaner, and the spray tube cut down with a scalpel blade around its perimeter, to a taper to just fit in the 1mm hole opening, flush the switch with copious amounts of cleaner while exercising it at the same time. After that, and waiting at least 1 hr or more, use the same cut down tube on a can of Inox's mx-3. Spray that into the switch to lubricate an protect it from future oxidation.

Back