• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cipher 5210 IBM XT tape streamer

mt777

Experienced Member
I can't setup this device (bought as working but tested long time ago). Have new DC600A tapes.

When setup with IBM floppy card then during `verify` option in Cipher software, it stopped and message is device failure (insert tape, motions starts, motions stops).
I tried with Cipher card but don't know jumpers. Maybe someone has settings for it?
I dissasembled device and cleaned it.

Photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15eCho3q9RN12atSpEUoQ4oLaKhn1iJHD?usp=sharing

The card is nothing more than an add-on floppy controller, more or less. If you've got a 5150 or 5160 with the 4-drive floppy controller, you can use that instead of the card. You may want to drop a line to Roland to see if he has anything to add from his own setup.

Config of 5210 software asks about irq/dma in mode with Cipher card.
I tried as I said with floppy controller of 5150/5160 and got message about failure. With cipher card is freezed (no msg) so feel that jumper config doesnt match

I think that is something wrong with device, but would like to check if Cipher card works

Okay, since the Cipher card was an option (not provided as standard), you're going to have to figure this one out on your own, unless someone has the documentation for it. Look at the jumper pins W1-W6; the lower pin on each of these pairs connects to a contact on the ISA bus. What are those connections? That might give us a clue.

Where's these jumpers located? I have one of these drives (locking lever broke off unfortunately) and I've used it on my 5160 attached to the floppy controller no problem (even used DC600A tapes with it). I could check how those jumpers are set on (or in, if they're on the inside) mine.

BTW: anyone have a replacement lever? ;-) (can't bring myself to recycle the drive as I think it looks cool)

The jumpers near the edge connector on the card--see the white caps and bare pins?

When my 525 lever fractured, I replaced it with an ordinary 1/8" D knob. Fits and works just fine.

Oh the jumpers are on the card? You mean the controller card or the card inside the drive enclosure (sorry if I sound a bit thick-headed here)? I'll see if I can find one of those 1/8 D knops somewhere. I still have the original lever (it just broke in half where it fit's on the lever spindle thingie) and I tried glueing it with epoxy but when I put it on and tried to rotate it it just broke again (so I can still glue it and leave it on for display purposes LoL).

Well, you did show a photo of the controller card with jumpers... :)

Yup, the lever on my 525 broke the same way--and the 525 was new old-stock. Chalk it up to a design deficiency. 1/8" D knobs should not be difficult to find. You don't get a lever, but a knob works just as well.

Well, you did show a photo of the controller card with jumpers... :)

Yup, the lever on my 525 broke the same way--and the 525 was new old-stock. Chalk it up to a design deficiency. 1/8" D knobs should not be difficult to find. You don't get a lever, but a knob works just as well.

No that was that other dude who had the card, but if them jumpers is on the ISA controller, shouldn't the drive work on a normal PC/XT/AT floppy controller (like I said: mine was just hooked up to the big centronix connector on the FDD of my 5160 and worked with the Cipher software no problems).

Yep, I got me a knob off eBay... black alu and knurled so that might look nice in the end. Thanx for the tip!

Back