• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sharp PC7200 Boot Disk?

Haemogoblin

Experienced Member
Hey guys

So i think I finally found a copy of the Sharp Diagnostic disk but I've got a slight problem. When I first became the proud owner of this machine, the floppy drive didn't work and as a work around I installed a 3.5" floppy drive. It works fine and it's a lot easier to swap data between machines with the 1.44mb disks.

My issue is that the diagnostic disk image is a 360kb floppy. I've used winimage to drag the contents over to a 3.5" floppy but when i run the disk, i just get a hung system with a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

If there are any fellow Sharp owners, I'd really like some advice. Do you boot off this disk or do you boot in to DOS and THEN run the software on the diagnostic disk?

I'm sick of this darn computer beeping every time i turn it on and reporting "configuration error"

I have no experience with this Sharp computer. However, I think if you imaged the disk with Dave Dunfield's Image disk and then used IMDA to analyze the image file, it would give you alternative disk formats and configuration to write the image to a 720K floppy. I don't see anything problematic with doing this.

I did image a Tandy diagnostics disk the other day and it had an unrecoverable command.com on the disk. I just made a new system disk and then copied everything over to the new disk minus the bad command.com. This worked just fine.

If you send me the link to your diagnostic disk, I can try to play around with getting it to boot on my 386 I use for disk imaging.

Travis

Yeah, that’s my situation. I have a 7200, fitted with a 3.5” floppy drive and a hard drive. Works pretty well, but I don’t think the diagnostic disk I used to get it all setup has detected the available ram properly. Every time it boots up it reports a configuration error, but it’s not enough to stop it booting up in to DOS. So I suppose I should count my blessings.

ive wanted a copy of the proper disks for ages, but you only ever see them being sold with a system on fleabay.

Back