• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The absolute worst "OLD" Keyboard I have ever had to work on

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So I am working on a DATANETICS 0551 Keyboard from an early model Apple II. Everything about it is just horrible. Each keyswitch is 1.25" Tall; Why so tall? They are completely sonic sealed so they are not meant to be serviced and they went defunct in 1985 so parts just dont exist for this keyboard.
IMG_20211128_125857.jpg - datanetics kb1
I suppose it would not be as big an issue if the switches were still available or the switches were serviceable like many of the other switches. I have two bad switches on an otherwise working keyboard rendering it not useable. Replacing a switch eludes me right now. The spacing on the two posts is very close together. Far closer than any switches I have in my possesion. And even if I was to mount one, it was be significantly lower that the ones around it. I always thought keytronic keyboards were unecessary and horrible.. I change my mind because as of now those can be rebuilt.. This is the worst keyboard I have ever seen.
IMG_20211128_125841.jpg - datanetics kb2

Well Anything that lasts 40 years can be argued as "reliable"... But I already said my gripes. No its not hall effect. It uses two metal plates separated by a piece of plastic coated in a blue film which has deteriorated. Pushing the plungers compresses a leaf spring against a plastic finger which pushed the two metallic plates together. Simple idea, overengineered implementation.

Okay, I'm with you on that one then. I couldn't tell if it was a special type of Hall effect keyboard. But that wouldn't fit with Apple's cost profile.

Well as luck would have it I stumbled randomly on an ebay listing for keyswitches. I was dearching for DC50 and these were listed as DC51.... The seller is Technici turns out. He only had two left with is exactly what I needed! So if they work this solves the problem with one of the bad keyboards!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184925861021

So I have another of these keyboards. I was able to "wake up" almost all the keys but the last 3 I get no life from. I cant find anyone selling these switches. I am really surprised they arent 3d printing or making replacements since these Datanetic switches are so popular on Apple 1 and early Apple II.

I dont think I have much of a choice. I cracked the seam on the last 3 keycaps I couldnt get working. I think they are sonic welded.. Possibly some kind of glue but I cant see evidence of it. Once its open the coil spring wants to pop out so be careful. You have to take great care to not lose the Copper spring (which is just a 6 mm long piece of bent copper) which fits into a slot on the plunger. It fits really loosely so once you try to get it back together you will fight hard to get the copper spring in place while holding the plunger to get the coil spring in just to close it.. Takes some practice (THE SPRINGS WILL DO EVERYTHING TO POP OUT!).

So I found pinching the meal contacts and mylar sheets while altogether betweein my finger nails is enough to break the crud and get continuity between them again. Reassemble and super glue. Not sure how long this will last.

Sorry for the slight thread necro! But its a pretty niche subject so, its probably better than making a new thread.
I just discovered that my early Apple II Europlus (European Plus variant) has the same Datanetics Rev. B keyboard.

At first I thought "score!" because I know they are on the rare side. Mine has green keyswitches as well, which are apparently even rarer...
But then after some reading, I just ended up worried that switches were going to die and I wasn't going to be able to fix it!

Currently it works 99% fine, but a couple of the keys result in double presses being registered, the 1 key and the space bar. As far as I can tell there isn't really a solution to that is there?

In any case, I came across this possible solution online. Someone has made 3D printed parts that allow you to fit Cherry MX keyswitches to the original baseplate, and retain the original keycaps.
See here: https://www.applefritter.com/content/cherry-mx-datanetics-dc-51-keyboard-switch-adapter

This has no affiliation to me, I just figured I'd X-post in case it helps anyone.

Its not a dead thread. I only posted to this thread last fall. Its barely spring. If it was from 2013 then you could say its dead so dont worry about that.

You dont want to throw the word rare around like they do on ebay, These keyboards were mass produced. And I have come across 3 myself already... but hopefully never ever again.

Also. Welcome to the forum! Please be sure to post something in introductions about yourself and change your avatar to tell us where in the world you are.

Ill tell you what 3D printed new switches is great news as these things are to me as the title of this thread reads. Nice post!

Mick

Fair enough! I only looked at the date on the first post for some reason. Even then, 2021 is only about 5 days ago. Or it feels that way......

You're probably right, honestly I have no idea how rare or not rare it is, an Apple II group I was in led me to believe it was "rare". Perhaps that is the wrong phrasing. Less common might be more apt.
That being said, I have never seen an Apple II keyboard for sale, of any variety.

Thanks for the welcome! I will post in intros in a moment.

Yes I think I am going to get a full set of the adapters made up, and fit some Chinese "Cherry MX" brown keyswitches.

Although in the mean time I might just swap the 1 keyswitch with the repeat keyswitch, which would essentially mean I have a fully working keyboard. For now...

Very few things are RARE.. so just dont use it.. Its eBay nonsense talk to drive up prices. They were common on the II and II plus..

Rare or not-rare quite honestly its all moot. The reality is its a poor design and all of the switches are failing. So again, thanks for sharing that Applefritter post about a 3D print option. If and when I come across another one of those that would be a nice viable long term work around. Anyway Im going to send you a Pm which may help you out.

Back