• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pentium II computer won't turn on

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
The computer is a Dell OptiPlex GXa. The computer sometimes doesn't turn on. Nothing changes other than the passing of time. I can come back the next morning and it will turn on. This morning, however, it didn't. What could be the problem?

Test a different PSU. Be aware that DELL used PSUs with an ATX connector but not ATX pin-out for some time. If that's the case here, using a generic ATX PSU will kill the mainboard.

Do you get anything kick then immediately stop ? ie CPU fan

No, I simply turn it off by the ATX power switch, then often it won't turn on again. I am doing troubleshooting for the boot process, so I am power cycling it several times a day. When it refuses to turn on I have to wait.

Timo W. said:
Test a different PSU. Be aware that DELL used PSUs with an ATX connector but not ATX pin-out for some time. If that's the case here, using a generic ATX PSU will kill the mainboard.

I've got a few other OptiPlexes of this era. When I get a chance I can try testing one of them in place.

I remember that era, such a bonehead move by Dell.

With no indication of life, that would suggest to me a PSU fault rather than not seeing power good from the motherboard (assuming Dell implemented the standard ATX supply if not the actual pinout)

Open it up and reflow the connections as it might be heat related (I had an Apple PSU very similar, would fire up sometimes and work fine but would not restart when turned off. A cracked solder joint on the regulating transistor, resoldered and never did it again)

Sattinger's Law strikes again!

The power supply was not completely plugged into the motherboard. I thought I had pressed it in all the way when I was first examining it, but apparently I didn't. With a screwdriver, I was able to push it in the rest of the way and the computer boots normally now.

Back