• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to know what replacement modern battery to use?

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
Compaq Prosignia VS from 1996. Has a dead Rayovac type 840 battery. These are actually still commercially available, for $21-$36 each.

But say, just for the sake of argument, that I wanted to instead replace it with a much more common battery type. The 840 battery says 4.5 Volts but doesn't say the current. I can easily buy a replacement battery pack for 3*AA, 3*AAA, or 3*AAAA batteries to add up to 4.5 Volts, but how do I know that I will have the correct current?

Rayovac 840 - Screenshot 2021-12-22 015405.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Rayovac 840 - Screenshot 2021-12-22 015405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.0 KB ID:	1236807

Batteries don't have a current rating. Any standard one will do. Only voltage and type (rechargable or not) must match. Current is given by whatever circuitry you connect to it.

Quite a few Powermacs use that battery pile brick. I've had luck replacing them with CR2 Lithium battery. If you scuff up the terminals, you can cut the pigtail off the old brick battery and solder them to the CR2 and wrap the ends in electrical tape to prevent shorts.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I chose to simply order a replacement type 840 battery.

Back