Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

True CGA vs VGA card in CGA mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True CGA vs VGA card in CGA mode

Hi all

Is there any performance differences between a true CGA card and a 8-bit VGA card running CGA graphics ?
    Current machines:
    PCs: IBM PC XT 640K, IBM PC XT 256K ,IBM PC XT , 2x IBM PC AT, Compaq Portable I, Compaq Portable II, Compaq Portable I/286, Philips Logic Analyzer XT clone, IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 , HP 95X, HP200LX (2x),Compaq SLT/286.
    Apple: Macintosh 512k, Macintosh SE, Macintosh Classic, PowerBook 170, iBook Clamshell, iBook G3,iMac G4 , TiBook's, Apple IIc, Many newer machines (G4, G5, Intel..), 20th Anniversary Mac
    Others: Commodore 64C,Amiga A500, CCS S-100 System, SNES,

Wanted: Macintosh 128k, Hard Disk 20, System disks and games for the Mac

If it has switches so it oculd be toggeled to CGA mode on startup, it would operate as a CGA, and there would be no differences unless the card is of lower quality and price.

However, if it's configured as VGA on startup, it might have some problems with certain CGA graphics modes.
    Current systems owned by me:
    Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
    Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

memory map

Well, they typically live at different addresses in the pc's address space.
      0A0000-0AFFFF VGA/EGA Video Memory
      0B0000-0B0FFF Monochrome Video Memory
      0B8000-0BFFFF CGA

patscc

Comment

Originally posted by patscc View Post
        Well, they typically live at different addresses in the pc's address space.
        0A0000-0AFFFF VGA/EGA Video Memory
        0B0000-0B0FFF Monochrome Video Memory
        0B8000-0BFFFF CGA

patscc
        Okay. I was thinking more along the line: If I run a game in CGA on a VGA card or run it on a true CGA card, will there be any noticeable performance differences ?

I talk simple games, like Alley Cat
        Current machines:
        PCs: IBM PC XT 640K, IBM PC XT 256K ,IBM PC XT , 2x IBM PC AT, Compaq Portable I, Compaq Portable II, Compaq Portable I/286, Philips Logic Analyzer XT clone, IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 , HP 95X, HP200LX (2x),Compaq SLT/286.
        Apple: Macintosh 512k, Macintosh SE, Macintosh Classic, PowerBook 170, iBook Clamshell, iBook G3,iMac G4 , TiBook's, Apple IIc, Many newer machines (G4, G5, Intel..), 20th Anniversary Mac

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumII View Post
          Okay. I was thinking more along the line: If I run a game in CGA on a VGA card or run it on a true CGA card, will there be any noticeable performance differences ?

I talk simple games, like Alley Cat
          I have had some problems with that. Often, the VGA is toggeled into wrong video modes, ant it doesn't really support some of the special modes of the CGA, like some of the CGA's graphics mode, like morecolors and the BG/red/cyan/white palette.

See the attachement of running Flightsimulator 2.13 (Booter) on a VGA in VGA mode and VGA in CGA mode. Note that "Signal Error" alert in the upper right courner on one of the pictures, hence, NOT recomended on CRT monitors.
          Last edited by per; April 28, 2009, 04:10 AM.
          Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
          Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

Originally posted by per View Post
            I have had some problems with that. Often, the VGA is toggeled into wrong video modes, ant it doesn't really support some of the special modes of the CGA, like some of the CGA's graphics mode, like morecolors and the BG/red/cyan/white palette.

See the attachement of running Flightsimulator 2.13 (Booter) on a VGA in VGA mode and VGA in CGA mode. Note that "Signal Error" alert in the upper right courner on one of the pictures, hence, NOT recomended on CRT monitors.
            Galaxian is one game I know that does this. It works on some VGA monitors, but on others the picture loses sync.

Moon Patrol always locks up about 7 seconds into the game (Demonlord noted this on his site). Both of these games have some kind of problem with VGA, but I'm not sure what.

VGA is BIOS compatible with CGA, but not register compatible. At least 60% of CGA software works on VGA, but the other 30% either partially or completely fails. This can be caused by any of the following:

*Setting video modes or color palettes by writing directly to the registers

*Using the 160x100 pseudographics mode

*Raster interrupts

*Tweaking the 6845 registers to produce effects like screen shaking

Comment

Yeah, I tried FS on VGA, and it was just like your picture.. Say, did you boot the game from a floppy or did you run the fs.com file ?
              Current machines:

Comment

Yeah, I tried FS on VGA, and it was just like your picture.. Say, did you boot the game from a floppy or did you run the fs.com file ?
                I booted from a floppy (from retrogade, that one got no hidden message on it).

You say you got a CGA with a RCA jack. If you got a monitor/TV capable of displaying NTSC, you could connect it to the CGA. FS is a lot better in composite than RGBI.

Comment

How about a CGA with a scan converter box (as discussed on other threads?). I assume the idea is to use a VGA monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                    How about a CGA with a scan converter box (as discussed on other threads?). I assume the idea is to use a VGA monitor.
                    Yes, if I cannot get a CGA monitor within reasonable time (I'm an impatient guy sometimes) I'll get one of those.. They could be nice to have anyway
                    Current machines:

Comment

Hi

Today I did some tests (True CGA card VS VGA Card in CGA mode)

Results: The true CGA card was faster and the graphics was smoother.

Alley Cat is choppy when running ona VGA card (Many items on screen, bad performance)

When using a true CGA card is was running along just fine, regardless of the items on screen etc etc..

How come ? Anyone seen it before ?
                      Current machines:

Comment

Hi

Today I did some tests (True CGA card VS VGA Card in CGA mode)

Results: The true CGA card was faster and the graphics was smoother.

Alley Cat is choppy when running ona VGA card (Many items on screen, bad performance)

When using a true CGA card is was running along just fine, regardless of the items on screen etc etc..

How come ? Anyone seen it before ?
                        The VGA's ability to emulate CGA isn't 100% perfect. my guess it that it varys from card to card. Also VGA uses other registers, so if the program does low-level stuff (IN/OUTs), then it might write to other registers than it is supposed to. Another cause can be that the version program you're using is modified for newer computers (most unlikely).

Comment

The VGA's ability to emulate CGA isn't 100% perfect. my guess it that it varys from card to card. Also VGA uses other registers, so if the program does low-level stuff (IN/OUTs), then it might write to other registers than it is supposed to. Another cause can be that the version program you're using is modified for newer computers (most unlikely).
                          Okay. I think it's because _some_ emulation are taking place, native CGA will have better performance. The 4.77Mhz is not that much, and the hardware overhead of doing the emulating affects the performance for programs written for pure CGA.

Of course, on newer PC's this is not noticeable (I tried) but the IBM's limited speed in combination with the above is the reason (I think)

I have now bought an original IBM CGA card off eBay. I will use that instead when I a) Get an IBM 5153 or b) Get a cga-to-vga converter or c) get an LCD with composite in..

I think option b is most likely right now, but I will continue to hunt for an IBM 5153.
                          Current machines:

Comment

Snow

I seem to remember having to twiddle with timings when writing CGA code to minimize snow. That might be why some games look odd on VGA-emulated CGA, since I don't think you get the CGA snow problem on VGA cards. Although I certainly could be wrong.

patscc

Comment

Okay. I think it's because _some_ emulation are taking place, native CGA will have better performance. The 4.77Mhz is not that much, and the hardware overhead of doing the emulating affects the performance for programs written for pure CGA.
                              I've run CGA games on my 386 with the turbo off, and I don't notice any performance problems. Alley Cat doesn't use any weird video tricks either, so there's no real difference between running it on a CGA or a VGA card (you do have to run it at 4.77Mhz to hear the digitized sound effects, though).

I have now bought an original IBM CGA card off eBay. I will use that instead when I a) Get an IBM 5153 or b) Get a cga-to-vga converter or c) get an LCD with composite in..
                              I have a CGA card too, but I don't yet have a working 5150 or XT to put it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X