Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

AT to XT Keyboard Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AT to XT Keyboard Converter

I want to know if anyone has ever designed a converter box that will make an AT keyboard, like the most of the IBM Model Ms and other more modern 101 and 104 keyboards, work properly in a PC/XT that expect an 83-key keyboard or need a keyboard with an XT/AT switch. I have heard of boxes that will let an XT keyboard work in a modern system that expects an AT keyboard, but has the reverse been done?
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

If it hasn't, drop me a line. I've probably got enough code to put something together in a uC.

Comment

wiki page is here with all the details distilled from this thread:
      http://wiki.vintage-computer.com/ind...oard_converter

I too would be interested in such a device.
      I would like to use my PC/XT machines on a KVM switch with my 286+ machines.

sounds like we may have another VC forum project on our hands! Go chuck go!
      Last edited by hargle; May 18, 2010, 06:12 PM.

Comment

There has certainly been a box to do the opposite, and they go for about $100 if you can find a custom one online.. Perhaps they work in either direction?
        More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
        Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
        I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

I'll put this one on my to-do list, unless someone beats me to it.

Comment

If you feel like building custom ones for XT-to-AT I'd buy one.. Hopefully not at $100 tho :P
            More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
            Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
            I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

i'd like one of these boxes too. i have one of my 8088s on a KVM switch but it's a pain because i have to keep a separate keyboard sitting on top of the tower and make room for it on my desk when i switch to it.

making a converter would be pretty trivial with a very very low powered single board computer, 2 serial ports, and a little bit of ROM code.

read the tech details of the XT keyboard protocol here:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jmcm/info/key2.txt

tech details of the AT/PS2 protocol:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/keyboard/keybrd.htm

a possible cheap-o solution would be wiring an AT style keyboard into one of the 8088's serial ports and using a specially designed TSR to interpret and move the data into the computer's keyboard buffer, but i'm not sure if that would work for all software or not.
              Last edited by Mike Chambers; June 3, 2009, 06:23 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Chambers View Post
                making a converter would be pretty trivial with a very very low powered single board computer, 2 serial ports, and a little bit of ROM code.
                With a decent small uC, you probably don't even need the serial ports--just bit-bang it.

And, in fact, most uC UARTS can't be used--while the keyboard sends a start bit, it sends the remainder of the data in clocked synchronous mode--and uses an 11-bit (start+8 data+parity+stop) format. Most UARTs can't handle 8bits+parity.

I'm first going to see if it'll fit in a PIC 12F629. That'd be very slick. Otherwise, I can use an ATMega8.
                Last edited by Chuck(G); June 3, 2009, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Check this link

I will get one for me too.
                  http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11066/subcatid/0/id/176955

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jmcm/info/key2.txt

My apex 8088 xt take at keyboard if it is use full i will upload the BIOS.
                  Last edited by nesan; June 7, 2009, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I just assembled the prototype in an old "Monitor Miser" box. It's scarcely anything--an 8 pin 12F629, a capacitor and a couple of resistors. (The LED is for debugging).

Given the right components (i.e. SMT), one could probably fit it inside a 5-pin DIN connector shell.

I'll be working on the code this week--I've already constructed the translation tables.

All in all, this looks like it will be very easy.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                      I just assembled the prototype in an old "Monitor Miser" box. It's scarcely anything--an 8 pin 12F629, a capacitor and a couple of resistors. (The LED is for debugging).

Given the right components (i.e. SMT), one could probably fit it inside a 5-pin DIN connector shell.

I'll be working on the code this week--I've already constructed the translation tables.

Thats it? I don't even see $5 worth of components there!

The interface on clickykeyboards is using a much larger chip, is the opposite conversion (XT to AT)more complex, hardware wise?
                      My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would suggest building it into a small box that accepts both 5 pin DIN and 6 pin mini-DIN female connectors with a 5 pin DIN male cable coming out the other end. This way you can use any type of AT keyboard and you won't need an adapter. I would also include a small fuse just in case the KVM (or whatever) sends some bad voltage down the line.

Do you have a schematic yet?

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
                        IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
                        Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Comment

Just a quick update--the converter is currently operating with an IBM Model M keyboard on an XT. I've still got to write some code to manage the keyboard LEDs, but otherwise, I don't have any unresolved issues.

The prototype is largely unchanged, other than getting rid of the LED (it's no longer necessary) and a couple of very minor wiring changes.

I'm not interested in building these myself unless there's a substantial interest in them, but I'll post the code and construction details for those who are. For those without a PIC programmer, however, I'm willing to furnish pre-programmed PICs for a small bit above my cost of the chip itself.

The PIC 12F629 is exactly right for this project--it's probably the minimum (about $1 in quantities) that will do the job, yet there's plenty of code space left in case someone wants to do something interesting, such as use the 128-byte EEPROM for keyboard macros for F11 and F12, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Hierophant View Post
                            Thats it? I don't even see $5 worth of components there!

The interface on clickykeyboards is using a much larger chip, is the opposite conversion (XT to AT)more complex, hardware wise?
                            Yup, that's it. If I'd wanted to wire it up inside of a keyboard, it wouldn't even be that. Just a dead-bug bit inside the case.

As far as complexity, it's a wash. Converting XT to AT keystrokes requires that the converter understand bi-directional AT protocol, but so does converting AT to XT.

I'd say that there's little difference. I was tempted to try a 6-pin PIC 10F series uC, but there's just not enough I/O on one of those.

Hobbyists like to use the 16F84 because it's got a fair number of I/O pins and there's a lot of existing code for it, so you see it in a lot of designs. But wasting real estate and resources bothers me.

Comment

The PIC 12F629 is exactly right for this project--it's probably the minimum (about $1 in quantities) that will do the job, yet there's plenty of code space left in case someone wants to do something interesting, such as use the 128-byte EEPROM for keyboard macros for F11 and F12, for example.
                              Would it technically be very difficult to allow XT or AT keyboards to work with a Tandy 1000/A/HD/SX/TX? I know Northgate's keyboard supported XT/AT/Tandy/AT&T/Amstrad and even some Amigas.

Comment

Working...
                              X