Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I put a V.2 bios in any ISA card (graphics card with BIOS socket) or only in the V.2 XT.IDE card?

Comment

You can put it in any ROM socket as long as;

1) the CPU can access the ROM (in other words, the ROM is decoded into the PCs address space) and

2) it's not conflicting with another ROM (two ROMs in the same address range) and

3) the entire BIOS is available without any special handling (ie ROM paging).

So, using an extra graphics card just to hold the BIOS won't work due to rule number 2. (I'm guessing this is what you had in mind.)

Most people use NICs with ROM sockets (intended for PXE booting) or harddrive controllers with the original ROM replaced with XTIDE Universal BIOS. If you plan on using a "large" build of the BIOS then be mindful of rule number 3 as some NICs use paging to access code above 8 KB.

Other options might be unused ROM sockets on the motherboard or something like the Lo-tech ISA ROM board.

Yet another option is to find free space in the system BIOS ROMs (or any option ROM you might have in the machine) and stick XUB in there.
      Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Originally posted by Krille View Post
        You can put it in any ROM socket as long as;

1) the CPU can access the ROM (in other words, the ROM is decoded into the PCs address space) and

2) it's not conflicting with another ROM (two ROMs in the same address range) and

3) the entire BIOS is available without any special handling (ie ROM paging).

So, using an extra graphics card just to hold the BIOS won't work due to rule number 2. (I'm guessing this is what you had in mind.)

Most people use NICs with ROM sockets (intended for PXE booting) or harddrive controllers with the original ROM replaced with XTIDE Universal BIOS. If you plan on using a "large" build of the BIOS then be mindful of rule number 3 as some NICs use paging to access code above 8 KB.

Other options might be unused ROM sockets on the motherboard or something like the Lo-tech ISA ROM board.

Yet another option is to find free space in the system BIOS ROMs (or any option ROM you might have in the machine) and stick XUB in there.
        Thank you very much kind sir.

Regarding the use of a graphics card: I wasn't meaning to use an extra graphics card, just one with a free ROM socket. But regardless, I can see how that wouldn't work and I would better use a network card.

Or, which I find most intriguing, replacing the ROM on the disk controller!? I have not dealt with XT-class hard disk controllers (MFM, RLL and that odd XT IDE stuff), I have no experience, and very little knowledge, about them. Which hard disk controllers allow for the replacement of a ROM? I guess a RLL or MFM controllers would be right out of consideration, as I really want to interface with IDE drives and CF cards. But WOW, is that exciting, if it could be done!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Fartalot View Post
          Regarding the use of a graphics card: I wasn't meaning to use an extra graphics card, just one with a free ROM socket. But regardless, I can see how that wouldn't work and I would better use a network card.
          AFAIK, there is no reason to provide an extra ROM socket on a graphics card so an unused/free ROM socket most likely means that someone pulled the ROM for use elsewhere. And this would mean that the card no longer works of course.

Or, which I find most intriguing, replacing the ROM on the disk controller!? I have not dealt with XT-class hard disk controllers (MFM, RLL and that odd XT IDE stuff), I have no experience, and very little knowledge, about them. Which hard disk controllers allow for the replacement of a ROM? I guess a RLL or MFM controllers would be right out of consideration, as I really want to interface with IDE drives and CF cards. But WOW, is that exciting, if it could be done!!
          When I wrote that I had regular 16-bit IDE controllers in mind since that is usually the type of controller people intend to use anyway in this scenario. Note that you can use just about any old controller to hold the XUB ROM but you won't be able to use the harddrive interface on it because XTIDE Universal BIOS does not support these old types of interfaces (MFM/RLL/XTA).

Comment

Thanks again. I have half a dozen multi-I/O 16-bit ISA cards and neither (is "neither" the correct word to use in this scenario? English is a foreign language to me.) has a ROM or a ROM socket.

Comment

16-bit IDE / Floppy controllers with their own bios in a socket seem to be getting harder to find these days, I've got 2 such cards i use and are very handy, Otherwise like many others i use a NIC with a free boot rom socket or a ROM board. Another option for the IBM 5160 with the 11/08/82 bios is U19 has 24k free space which can be used for ie: the XUB.

Comment

I did a quick search on ebay and found three controllers:

www.ebay.com/itm/141918463030
                www.ebay.com/itm/172060415451
                www.ebay.com/itm/321327359828

These links are just examples and are not meant to be endorsements of any kind or a guarantee that XUB will work with any of them.

Comment

I did a quick search on ebay and found three controllers:

www.ebay.com/itm/141918463030
                  www.ebay.com/itm/172060415451
                  www.ebay.com/itm/321327359828

These links are just examples and are not meant to be endorsements of any kind or a guarantee that XUB will work with any of them.
                  Would one simply replace the BIOS on those cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Fartalot View Post
                    Would one simply replace the BIOS on those cards?
                    Yes. Though I would use a NIC with a ROM socket instead if I were you (since you already have several IDE controllers). Do you have any such NICs?

Comment

Yes. Though I would use a NIC with a ROM socket instead if I were you (since you already have several IDE controllers). Do you have any such NICs?
                      Yes I do have 16 bit ISA network cards which I will use to host a XUB BIOS. I am trying to figure out how this business with extending BIOS works, that's why I am asking if replacing the BIOS on the IDE controller card with XUB would work. Why do these IDE controllers even have a BIOS? I understand why a SCSI card would have a BIOS, but am unclear about these 16 bit ISA IDE controller cards.

Comment

Dear All,

please be aware the last Beta 3 version has a trojan on the file XTIDECFG.COM. My antivirus blocks it and deletes it from the ZIP file when I download it on my computer. Please fix that and take care next version will not have a trojan anymore.

Regards, Vincenzo.

Comment

Originally posted by pevalcas View Post
                          Dear All,

please be aware the last Beta 3 version has a trojan on the file XTIDECFG.COM. My antivirus blocks it and deletes it from the ZIP file when I download it on my computer. Please fix that and take care next version will not have a trojan anymore.

Regards, Vincenzo.
                          Is it a false positive?
                          I have a Major in Post-Apocalyptic Economics.
                          Wanted: Any PC-Compatible Reciprocation Dingle Arm

Comment

Originally posted by offensive_Jerk View Post
                            Is it a false positive?
                            Not even...

Do we know where OP acquired this copy?

Do we know what AV program reported this?

Do *you* really believe that this file was actually released with a trojan?

C'mon, a little common sense goes a really long way.
                            PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Originally posted by pevalcas View Post
                              Dear All,

Regards, Vincenzo.
                              It's a false positive. XTIDECFG.COM is compressed with UPX and that's what triggers your antivirus program. Yes, your AV program will flag any program compressed with UPX, a legitimate exe-compressor, as a trojan. That should tell you something about the quality of your particular antivirus program as well as the quality of the antivirus software industry in general. Basically, if you pay for AV software then you're one of the proverbial suckers born every minute.

FWIW, this is the result from scanning the UPX-compressed XTIDECFG.COM on VirusTotal and this is the result from scanning the uncompressed version.

Comment

Just tried out the XT-IDE bios for AT class systems today and I have run into a snag. The system in question is a 486DX-33 and the hard drive controller is a regular 16 bit (not VESA) IDE controller

I burnt the bios onto a 27C256 eeprom and placed it into the network adaptor in the machine. This worked perfectly and it detected the two hard drives in the system and booted from the master.

At this point I decided to switch to a compact flash card (the whole idea behind the project). I installed a CF card to IDE adaptor which I previously had in my XT machine (working fine with a lo-tech CF card) into the 486 along with a 64MB CF card (exact same card was also used in the XT machine successfully). When powering up the XTIDE bios does not detect the CF drive. I tried a few other CF drives but had no luck at all.

At this point I thought it might be the IDE adaptor in the machine so I reconfigured the sound blaster card (which has a fully fledged IDE port, not a CDROM interface) to be a secondary IDE interface. Tried the CF card on there as a master and slave however I got the same result; nothing is detected.

Any troubleshooting tips/steps/advice would be appreciated.
                                System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Comment

Working...
                                X