Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would guess that you're using an old version of the BIOS, perhaps beta 3? If so, use a newer version.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Originally posted by Krille View Post
      I would guess that you're using an old version of the BIOS, perhaps beta 3? If so, use a newer version.
      Yes I am running 2.0.0 beta 3 from your Google code repository https://code.google.com/archive/p/xt...bios/downloads

Forgive me but where is the newer version available from? I have Google searched high and low and the only places I can find it are in the Google code repository; and the lo-tech website (which is down, so I cannot confirm if it is available there!)

EDIT: I should also add the Soundblaster IDE port works brilliantly with a real HDD. Great way to get a secondary IDE controller into an older machine without taking up an extra ISA slot. The only note of caution is that most Soundblasters of the era only have a CDROM interface; only the more expensive / later ones have a proper IDE interface. Check TH99 if your in doubt.
      Last edited by 3pcedev; June 11, 2016, 03:00 PM.
      System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Comment

Originally posted by 3pcedev View Post
        Forgive me but where is the newer version available from? I have Google searched high and low and the only places I can find it are in the Google code repository; and the lo-tech website (which is down, so I cannot confirm if it is available there!)
        James is currently in the process of moving his server, You can download the last available R588 from [ Here ].

Comment

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Now I've got to find my UV-Lamp to erase the 27C256.....
          System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Comment

Originally posted by 3pcedev View Post
            Now I've got to find my UV-Lamp to erase the 27C256.....
            Just leave it out in the sun for a month.
            PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Ok now I have flashed on the latest version from Malc - I chose the XTIDE386 binary as I figured this is most compatible with my system

As before it works fine with the real hard drives.

It also now detects the 4GB CF card and I can see it in FDISK. I can create a partition without any problems; however when I exit FDISK and reboot the computer the partition is gone (and all it says is 'no partition defined').

I have tried both the SB IDE ports and the main controller IDE ports. I have also checked in the bios that no virus protection is active (long shot as I just FDISK'd the real hard drives and it worked fine).

Comment

Bit of extra info:

A 4GB Cactus industrial CF card reports the correct size of 4000mb in FDISK. A 128MB CF card shows up as ~600MB and and a 64MB card shows up as around 200MB.

Another peculiarity is that the when XTIDE bios is loaded it displays the 'device ID strings' associated with each device it detects. The hard drive shows up fine; but the CF card string is garbled and has zero's at the end. I.E. instead of CACTUS 4GB it approximately displays GACTUS%4GB 0 0 0 0.

I tried reflashing with the AT file (XTIDE-AT) but it did exactly the same thing. I then tried disabling interrupts in XTIDECFG on the Primary/Secondary IDE controllers and that resulted in the CF card not being detected at all. I then re enabled them and made sure my SB card IDE port was on IRQ 15 which it was.

Anyone able to shed some light on this? Heaps of people use this bios so I am guessing its something simple/setting related on my end.
                Last edited by 3pcedev; June 11, 2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Try configuring it for super-slow XT mode, which transfers a byte at a time, slowly. See if that makes a difference.
                  Offering a bounty for:
                  - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                  - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
                    Try configuring it for super-slow XT mode, which transfers a byte at a time, slowly. See if that makes a difference.
                    By that do you mean loading up the XTIDE AT binary in XTIDECFG and then telling it the device type is 16-bit ISA/VLB in 8 bit mode?

Or do you mean just flash XTIDE XT version?

Comment

This is likely either a power supply (to the CompactFlash) card issue, bus timing, or level interfacing (CF is a CMOS spec).

What controller are you using, and what IDE to CompactFlash adapter? Re the latter, ensure it is set to 5V and use a dedicated supply to it I.e. Floppy power connector. If cabling between the two use only 80-wire cable.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Well I have sorted it out.... The fault was the last thing I thought it would be.

I was using a IDE-CF adaptor I got from China about 3 years ago. It was working fine in my XT (in this case as a slave drive) and I had no issues whatsoever.

On a limb I thought I would try another IDE-CF adaptor from my other XT (same type and batch as the other one, and also working for years as a master). This one partially worked; the device name was still corrupt but FDISK worked and I had partitions. I then formatted the partitions and copied some files over. It then fell apart; all the filenames were corrupt and garbled. Nothing could be copied to/from successfully without filename and data corruption.

Thinking that this couldn't be a coincidence I took at look at each adaptor under a magnifier. One had an bridged solder joint between two of the pins leading to the CF header. The other had a dry solder joint and two bridged pins. Remember both worked fine with XT style 8-bit transfers; but both broke when trying to use 16 bit transfers. So if you have CF adaptors that work in one PC but not another; take a close look!

I reflowed the solder joints on both adaptors. They now work perfectly. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Comment

The bridged joints are probably grounds, Good job on finding the cause of the problem

Comment

just in case someone needs it, here is the compiled r591 package: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dz4221...42/XUBR591.zip

Comment

The XT-IDE Universal Bios has a new home now, Official builds are available from the Pre-Built Binaries Download Centre and the home page is http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/

Comment

Wow, I missed the pre-built binaries links on the new homepage, where is it?
                                The archive I posted above is not needed then since there is an official one

Comment

Working...
                                X