Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP address isn't working for me either, unfortunately.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
      IP address isn't working for me either, unfortunately.
      You need to add it to the hosts file - just typing it into your browser won't work as the server is using name-based virtual hosting.
      Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Originally posted by Krille View Post
        You need to add it to the hosts file - just typing it into your browser won't work as the server is using name-based virtual hosting.
        Yup, I can confirm that it works with the added entry in the hosts file.

Comment

James was able to fix the DNS issue on his end, so http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/ now works correctly...

...however the main page says it was last modified two years ago, and I don't see any download links to binaries (these should be one of the first things listed at the top of the main page). The source tree is up to date, so that's good, but most people aren't going to want to (or can't) build bleeding-edge r600 from source. Can someone with authority or ownership modify the main page to more easily point to a "stable" and "bleeding edge" binary download?
          Offering a bounty for:
          - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
          - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Here's the link to the binaries page: http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/ (found the hard way)
            Current retro systems:
            386/486DLC, AMS NotePro Plus DSTN
            Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus
            Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT, 2x IBM ThinkPad 380D (both TFT)
            iMac G3/600 Graphite, iMac G4/800 Lampshade
            YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroPCUser

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
              James was able to fix the DNS issue on his end, so http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/ now works correctly...

...however the main page says it was last modified two years ago, and I don't see any download links to binaries (these should be one of the first things listed at the top of the main page). The source tree is up to date, so that's good, but most people aren't going to want to (or can't) build bleeding-edge r600 from source. Can someone with authority or ownership modify the main page to more easily point to a "stable" and "bleeding edge" binary download?
              I agree that there should be a prominent link to the Binaries download page on the main page, The Information on the main page is out of date, It was just copied over from the old google code site, But it's still valid mostly. This has all been discussed before.

"Stable and bleeding edge" hmm, It's very dificult to please everybody, The official binaries include modules that hopefully should suit most people but as you know that's not always the case and build your own from source is needed, Currently there is a problem with the building of the r599 and 600 binaries, that's why the folders are incomplete.

Comment

I was trying to figure that out myself as well. Luckily, there's the R598 that has the whole binary package if anyone's interested: http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/bi...versions/r598/

I'll test this out on my Packard Bell desktop and see how well it works and report back.
                Current retro systems:

Comment

Double post, sorry !
                  Last edited by PePe-fr; August 13, 2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

is there a changelog somewhere?
                    last version I compiled was r591 , surely it became even better now?

Comment

Originally posted by keropi View Post
                      There are new binaries on http://xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries that are new, but, are missing the extra 1KB of code (my Packard Bell complains about the boot ROM in my network card unless I use the one that a fellow member on here produced) and might be buggy, unfortunately.
                      Current retro systems:

Comment

Originally posted by keropi View Post
                        The closest thing to a changelog is the commit messages included with every revision. If you want to know what's happened since r591 then read the message for r592, then click the "Next Changeset" link and read that, etc.
                        Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Is there a way of booting computer bios and xtide bios all together inside the machine,without using external flash from the adapter?.
                          Since flash bios is using address like C800 to tell the computer is a external hard drive controller,could the machine boot and still get the rest of the lines from the adapter.

Regards

JOSÉ GONÇALVES

Comment

I have a problem with the SVN server (xtideuniversalbios.org) that has me completely stumped. We can't commit changes with any *new* files - obviously a permission error, but I can't solve it.

Would be very keen to here from anyone with skills with Trac on Ubuntu.

Comment

Maybe can help also other users:
                              To build r600 for all , there was only one error:
                              i added:
                              SYSTEM_TIMER_TICK EQU 1Ch
                              to AssemblyLibrary/inc/BiosFunctions.inc
                              and it builds like a charm. I don't know how to upload/upgrade files...

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                                I agree that there should be a prominent link to the Binaries download page on the main page, The Information on the main page is out of date, It was just copied over from the old google code site, But it's still valid mostly. This has all been discussed before.

"Stable and bleeding edge" hmm, It's very dificult to please everybody, The official binaries include modules that hopefully should suit most people but as you know that's not always the case and build your own from source is needed, Currently there is a problem with the building of the r599 and 600 binaries, that's why the folders are incomplete.
                                I keep on getting the following error when I try to go to that website:

A communication error occurred: "No route to host"
                                The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.
                                Any idea whats going on?

Comment

Working...
                                X