Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hwarin View Post
    [2 years and a reply !]

==> Thanks, WallyB - I definitely must have a try of this, I've let my A1000+BridgeBoard setup away since long as I did not find a solution to use XT-IDE with it.
    Hi,

i don't think this is a real solution.
    The problem is that INT19-Init is never called with activated Janus-Handler, VERY_LATE_INIT (INT13) is called, but
    fails here (marked) in Int13hBiosInit.asm:
    Code:
    36	Int13hBiosInit_Handler:
    37	    ; Initialize XTIDE Universal BIOS only if Int13hBiosInit_Handler is still at
    38	    ; vector 13h. Otherwise some other BIOS has hooked us and our very late
    39	    ; initialization is not possible.
    40	    push    ds
    41	    push    ax
    42	    LOAD_BDA_SEGMENT_TO ds, ax
    43	    pop     ax
    44	    cmp     WORD [BIOS_DISK_INTERRUPT_13h*4], Int13hBiosInit_Handler
    45	    pop     ds
    46	    jne     SHORT .VeryLateInitFailed   ; XTIDE Universal BIOS does not work.  <<<<==== Fails here
    48	    ; Ignore all but read command (assumed to read boot sector)
    49	    cmp     ah, READ_SECTORS_INTO_MEMORY
    50	    je      SHORT Int19h_BootloaderHandler
    If you delete the >jne SHORT .VeryLateInitFailed< XTIDE starts with activated Janus-Handler and the HDD is accessible, but the Janus-functions AWRITE, AMOUSE,... doesnt work.
    I think a "boot-mode" of a Seagate ST01/02 (INT13?) should help, this controller works out of the box.

Comment

Hi, Toms01

I think that you're probably pointing the real issue. I've spent hours in the code years ago and did not seen that (not expecting much of VeryLateInit … and more focussed on INT19).

==> If try to translate from the code : "If Int13 was hooked by someone else, don't try to initialize the BIOS and fail", what's pretty clear, this someone might be Janus ...

I don't know what you mean exactly with ST01/02 boot mode [ST01/02 seems to be SCSI boards] but I've got a Tandon TM9362 [including a WD1002 MFM board] fitted natively in the sidecar (*) and it works perfectly well (never tryed AWRITE/AMOUSE anyay). (*) It's so common that I have the exact same board in the M24.

Thanks so much for pointing this, now, how can we go further ?
      [it should be possible to just patch actual code with NOPs in order to test ? I Don't have the tool chain ready for a custom compilation]

Regards - Hervé
      Last edited by hwarin; March 27, 2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I'm having a problem with XT-IDE serial port booting certain floppy image sizes only.

My setup is IBM 5150 with an glitchworks v4 XT-ide card, running XT-IDE universal bios 2 beta 3 and also a 8-bit 16550 UART.

The serial server is a notebook running win10x86 with a USB serial device. On this system I have multiple floppy image files.

I can successfully boot disk images with 360kB or 1.44MB size, but not 720kB disk images. I have tried multiple image files with the same result, and I have also verified that the images är in fact bootable when mounted on bochs. The speed setting doesn't make any difference.

Running serdrive with higher verbosity level reveals that sectors 0-8 are read, but not further, and I suspect this might be the issue.

When starting serdrive with 720kB image it's identified as a CHS 80:1:18 device, when I guess it should be 80:2:9. The values are hard coded in source, and the parameters are set based on image file size.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Best regards,
        Måns

Comment

Originally posted by mrmanse View Post
          When starting serdrive with 720kB image it's identified as a CHS 80:1:18 device, when I guess it should be 80:2:9. The values are hard coded in source, and the parameters are set based on image file size.
          That is indeed a bug! Thank you Måns, not only for reporting it but also for finding the cause. I can't believe no one has discovered this until now.

This one should work;
          serdrive.zip
          Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Originally posted by Krille View Post
            This one should work;
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]52520[/ATTACH]
            Fantastic - thanks a lot!

Can't wait to give it a try when I get off work.

/Måns

Comment

This one should work;
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]52520[/ATTACH]
              Indeed it does, very well. Thank you!

/Måns

Comment

Hi,

I Don't know if I shall post in this thread or in "XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing" thread - I'm still facing an issue with last R601 version (and any known previous version) of IDE_XT BIOS. This seems to be a known issue in Amiga Community. (https://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread...t=xtide&page=4)

The issue is with Commodore JANUS board [this board makes the link between an Amiga computer and the PC-XT "co-computer" that was optionally available by Commodore at the time Under the names of SideCar or BridgeBoard].

In details, IDE_XT BIOS operates basically from "PC side" only when compilled with VeryLateInit option and with "jne SHORT .VeryLateInitFailed ; XTIDE Universal BIOS does not work." commented out.

In facts, when it operates, IDE_XT disables completely JANUS operation.

As a consequence, I've started to prepare a "VeryEarlyInit" option for IDE_XT, with my very limited coding capabilities, done in a similar way that what was doing regular WD controllers of the time. It seems to work, as JANUS BIOS now initializes after IDE_XT. The issue is that now, JANUS cycles 4 times in it's initialization then hangs the PC-side, as per screen shot. I've attached my binary and 3 versions of JANUS BIOS (I'm using currently v2.63).

==> Needing help to fix this problem as I Don't have any idea of what, in IDE_XT "VeryEarlyInit", may prevent JANUS to start correctly and I Don't see where or how to start for debugging
                ==> Keeping my current code and my reference Workbench at disposition of anyone interested in helping (too big to attach here in the forum)
                ==> Available also in any way to explain/test the issue

r601_WithVeryEarlyInit_190421_minimal options.jpg

Regards - Hervé
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Hervé, do you have actual sources about the "veryearlyinit"? I can do some tests
                  toms01

Comment

Hello everyone.
                    My friend and I are working on restoring a rare Soviet XT clone (based on 8086). This machine has an integrated IDE controller and an EGA card, but unfortunately, the BIOS from this board has been lost. We have already found compatible main bios and EGA videobios, now we are trying to revive the built-in IDE interface with the XT-IDE bios, but so far no luck. I have full schematics for this PC. Can anybody give advice, what setting should I try with XT-IDE? Thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi, Filin

I've not been able to view correctly your schematics, so, speaking in the Wind ...

I'm a bit surprised that this "Soviet XT" had an IDE built-in interface. Would it be an XTA style interface (see WD140 or WD150 controllers) requiring special and rare and unreliable 8bits HDD ?
                      ==> Possibly as it seems sufficiently modern and luxious to have an EGA board

At first idea, I would try to disable any hardware regarding this interface and would plug directly a CF-IDE in an available slot

Regards - Hervé

Comment

Hi friends

I've finally got good results with "VeryEarlyInit" and "Steal_Ram" options.

Here is the code that I've successfully tested, should work for 8088 SideCar and BridgeBoard.
                        ==> I will mail the source code to official authors to obtain their validation and let them integrate my changes to next release.

r601_hw02_190501.zip

SideCar's Boot screen
                        01_BootScreen.jpg

Details of last tests

DOS3.30 boot and ATIME getting Amiga's date
                        02_DosScreen.jpg

JLINK virtual disk
                        03_JlinkScreen.png

ARead / AWrite tests
                        04_AReadScreen.png 05_StartupSequenceScreen.jpg 06_AWriteScreen.png 07_RamConfigScreen.jpg

DJMount / Write to HD2: test
                        08_DJMountScreen.jpg 10_CopyToHd2Screen.png

ADisk - Anomaly [no idea why, may be this partition was incorrectly created before last build] on number of cylinders (deleted and recreated the partition => fixed)
                        11_ADiskScreen.jpg

Folklore (worked after a reboot/second attempt - My A1000 isn't very stable)
                        12_SoftwareErrorScreen.jpg 13_GuruScreen.png

Regards - Hervé

Comment

Trying XT-IDE on my IBM ValuePoint 425SX, but I haven't had much luck in getting it to work.

The machine only loads the option ROM when the HDD is not bootable (e.g. if I unplug it from the mainboard).
                          I tried both the ide_atl and ide_xtpl builds but both have the same result.
                          I downloaded them from here: https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/XTIDE_Universal_BIOS

I load the ROM using an old Intel Ethernet NIC.

I hope anyone has an idea why the machine does not always load the option ROM.

Comment

Originally posted by h3x4d3c1m4l View Post
                            The machine only loads the option ROM when the HDD is not bootable (e.g. if I unplug it from the mainboard).
                            To me, "not bootable" is not the same thing as "unplugged". So which is it?
                            Newer versions are available from here. Not that it matters in this case.

Comment

Newer versions are available from here. Not that it matters in this case.
                              I find R601 to have solved many of the problems I was having over R566 from the Lo-Tech website.

One suggestion I'd like to make to the people working on the XUB though, is that the revision number be included in the BIOS splash along with the date. example, the R601 BIOS would actually say "R601," instead of just saying "XTIDE Universal BIOS (XT)v2.0.03+ (2019-02-14)," which isn't very descriptive when that version number has been used for several revisions in a row. I had to add that when I was experimenting so I could more readily tell which version I had flashed against the results I was getting.
                              My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
                                One suggestion I'd like to make to the people working on the XUB though, is that the revision number be included in the BIOS splash along with the date. example, the R601 BIOS would actually say "R601," instead of just saying "XTIDE Universal BIOS (XT)v2.0.03+ (2019-02-14)," which isn't very descriptive when that version number has been used for several revisions in a row. I had to add that when I was experimenting so I could more readily tell which version I had flashed against the results I was getting.
                                This has been discussed before and everyone agreed on having the BIOS print the revision number just like you described. The problem is that it requires changes on the server side, and no one knows how to do it/has bothered to look into it.

Comment

Working...
                                X