Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackepyon View Post
    ....There's a data-protection flag you gotta set properly when flashing it, otherwise you can't re-flash in the utility without using a programmer to wipe it, and I'm still trying to figure out which way it's supposed to be set. But these programmers have other uses, so worth keeping around regardless...
    I've never set the data protection flag in XTIDECFG one way or the other, I always leave it enabled, As far as i know XTIDECFG will set the flag accordingly while erasing and reset it when finished depending on if it's set or not in XTIDECFG. The only times i have had to use a programmer to erase the EEprom is when i had a bad flash, That was back in the early days i got the bad flash every so often, I have not had one of those in a very long time. Yes well worth having a programmer or two, I have 6 of em.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
      I've never set the data protection flag in XTIDECFG one way or the other, I always leave it enabled, As far as i know XTIDECFG will set the flag accordingly while erasing and reset it when finished depending on if it's set or not in XTIDECFG. The only times i have had to use a programmer to erase the EEprom is when i had a bad flash, That was back in the early days i got the bad flash every so often, I have not had one of those in a very long time. Yes well worth having a programmer or two, I have 6 of em.
      Huh. Never worked for me. I could flash it once, and that was it, then I had to wipe it with the programmer. Which card do you have? It kept giving me a timeout error, when I tried reflashing it, but I've since moved the '245 buffer on the protoboard card closer to the bus (it's based on the XT-CF rev.2) and that cleared up some other issues I was having, so I could try again and see what happens.

If you're wondering why I built it on a protoboard instead of buying one of Lo-Tech's boards, it's cause my Tandy 1000HX only has so much room, and I had mo more space for another ISA-PLUS adapter, so I had to build it as a PLUS board. I'm trying to figure out if something in the construction might be causing that timeout error when re-flashing.
      My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

I have original VCF revision 1 - 2 and Glitch's R4 XTIDE cards, I also have a couple of lo-tech ISA - CF cards, When you say (it's based on the XT-CF rev.2) do you mean the lo-tech ISA - CF card or the VCF XTIDE R2, What EEprom is it using.

Comment

Sometimes you have to futz with the SDP setting. I haven't dug into why it's an issue with XTIDECFG. I've used the AT28C64B in several other projects, along with other EEPROMs that use SDP, and never had a problem with it. You just send a specific byte sequence to a specific set of addresses before writes to "unlock" SDP. There's a sequence you can send to completely disable it, too, but I always use it as a backup safeguard, in case someone leave the write switch on.
          Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

My card is based on the ISA-CF r.2b (the names keep getting switched around, depending where you look). I'll fiddle with the SDP setting when I have a moment, and see if moving the '245 solved it.
            My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, Hyundai Super16TE (XT clone), and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Comment

-Continued-

Aaaaand.... It seems to be behaving itself now. Go figure. Perhaps it was the location of the '245 after all. It lets me re-flash within the XTIDECFG now.

It also had trouble recognizing all but one 16MB CF card before I moved the '245 (see first picture). I figure that having all the signal wires bundled together originally might have been too much noise for it. Any ideas?

XT-CF PLUS show back.jpgXT-CF PLUS show front.jpg

Comment

I'm no fan of those cheap CF adapters, Over the years i've found them to be the cause of so many problems, They either don't work or work and fail after some use, They all ended up in the bin, I'd rather pay a bit more and get a decent one or more recently i've been using SD card adapters and a couple of DOM's i removed from a couple of thin clients i upgraded with SD card adapters for more storage space. I don't own any Tandy's so don't know how much room you have to play with.

Comment

I'm no fan of those cheap CF adapters, Over the years i've found them to be the cause of so many problems, They either don't work or work and fail after some use, They all ended up in the bin, I'd rather pay a bit more and get a decent one or more recently i've been using SD card adapters and a couple of DOM's i removed from a couple of thin clients i upgraded with SD card adapters for more storage space. I don't own any Tandy's so don't know how much room you have to play with.
                  Actually, this is one of the CF adapters that I've had the least problems with. I'm curious to know what goes wrong with them. The only thing I can think of is that some of the cheaper ones don't have any decoupling caps.

For an example of how little space this machine has, take a look at this:
                  IMG_20190101_164410058.jpg
                  These picture were taken before. There's a total of three slots. The RAM card beneath has the riser headers for the next two cards, and I've got an I/O card on top for the use of it's serial port, because this Tandy doesn't come with one with which to use a mouse. PLUS cards are more or less electrically compatible with the XT/ISA bus, so a simple adapter can be used to plug in an ISA card, but that usually takes up space, forcing the card to misalign with the slot, or you need to use a ribbon adapter, which itself takes up considerable space.
                  CAM00390.jpg
                  This is with the ISA I/O card installed on top.

Another interesting thing I discovered, is that before I moved the '245, with that ribbon adapter installed, regardless of whether the I/O card was present, I had trouble recognizing certain CF cards other than that 16MB card, but as soon as I moved the '245, the issues disappeared. So I think the issue was related to signal noise.

Comment

I see, Not a lot of room, I've had CF adapters with crap solder joints, bridges in the trace's which burn after some use, Grounded pins that stop a computer from booting when connected to certain IDE/Floppy adapters, CF card corruption, Intermittent CF detection and lost a couple of CF cards when the adapter failed. etc etc, I don't buy them anymore, The only one's i like are the rear accessible type, never had a problem with those.

Comment

bridges in the trace's which burn after some use
                      Does China have regulations against leaded solder? I know tin whiskers are a thing, and the CF card socket's pins are probably just close enough together for that to become a problem over time if they used lead-free solder.

Comment

Not that i know of, Never looked into it, China takes in a lot of electrical waste and we get it back so probably not. What i meant was bridges in the trace, Not solder bridges, Looking thru a magnifying glass i have often found burn spots in the solder mask where the trace has burned underneath.

Comment

Can IDECFG.COM be used ONLY with the XTIDE card, or can it somehow be also used with a network card hosting the EEPROM?

Comment

IDECFG.COM is for the very old v1x XUB, XTIDECFG.COM is for the v2x > XUB but neither can be used to flash an EEPROM in situ on a network card, However You can flash an EEPROM using an XTIDE card for use in a network card.

Comment

I'm using XUB r602 to configure my XTIDE rev 2 board (built from scratch) in an IBM PC portable (early XT motherboard w/ CGA graphics). On this system, the boot time menu bar is completely unreadable. By trial and error I discovered that 'A' would start from floppy and 'C' from hard drive. It looks like there's supposed to be legend text to the right of 'A>' and 'C>', but it's not legible with any setting of brightness and contrast. I can also see what I think is 'F6' and 'F8' but text cannot be read. There are otherwise no issues with the display on this machine.

Comment

Hi, you could try using the "xtl" version of XUB..that includes the boot menu option I believe.
                                I compiled and use a version that does not include the hotkey bar on the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X