Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I finished the new tests and got the following results:

Used drives:

- NEC D3755 (~100MB capacity)
    - QUATNUM Fireball ST2.1 (~2 GB capacity)
    - Kingston CF-Card (~1 GB capacity) (bootable)

The following test results are independent of the used drive above.

Original IBM Floppy Controller
    floppy boot -> OK
    hard disk boot -> OK

This controller works with 40pin and 80pin cable without problems.

Without any Floppy Controller
    floppy boot -> not possible, no controller installed
    hard disk boot -> still not possible, hang up at boot (Do you have no problems booting only with XTIDE + VGA Adapter without any other controllers?)

No difference between 40pin and 80pin cable.

Multi I/O Card with Floppy Controller and RTC
    floppy boot -> OK
    hard disk boot with 40 pin cable ->
    ----> Clone-Board: boot menu displays at cold boot a wrong string, missing first characters. displays "5" or "755" it varied. Next message "no valid boot sector". After a warm boot, the string "D3755" is shown correctly, but still "no valid boot sector".
    ----> IBM-Board: boot menu displays string "D3755" correctly, next "boot sector found" and then the system hang up. (No message from operating system)

hard disk boot with 80 pin cable -> "starting ms-dos", sometimes get the dos prompt, but very instable with read/write errors.

It could easily be a signaling/timing issue.
    Yes, but I don't understand what I make wrong.
    Last edited by quark; February 14, 2010, 07:24 AM.

Comment

So things worked a bit better when using 80 pin cable? This definitely sounds like a hardware issue. Do you have a jumper on any of the XTIDE IRQ select pins? Can you find the multi I/O card from Total Hardware 99? What other cards do you have?

I have used different 40 and 80 pin cables and they have all worked. 80 pin cables should be better but not needed for PIO transfers.

I installed XTIDE on my clone XT and it works. It is not exactly the same kind of system since i have CGA and MFM drive too. I was able to successfully boot to 20MB MFM drive, 210MB Quantum IDE drive and 360kB floppy drive.

I did found a new bug in RC1: boot menu works very slow when no XTIDE controlled drives are present.

Comment

So things worked a bit better when using 80 pin cable?
        Yes, i make some additional tests which shown more stability with the 80 pin cable while using the multi I/O rtc card.

Can you find the multi I/O card from Total Hardware 99?
        Do you need the exact model on TH99 (hard to find) or would be a picture of my multi I/O card also okay?

What other cards do you have?
        Especially floppy controllers? I must have one additional floppy controller, but I have to find it first
        If other cards also interesting (timing relevant?), there are some VGA & monocrom adapters, network, mfm controllers, different io cards (seriell / parallel) available.

Many thanks for your efforts!

PS: I am still interessted, does nobody using the XTIDE have problems to boot without any installed card except of the XTIDE + graphik adapter (if possible VGA)?

Comment

Picture of your multi I/O card should be okay since i can use it to find the card info from TH99.
          I meant what other cards do you have installed in addition to the XTIDE, VGA and multi I/O card.

Have you tried the multi I/O or XTIDE card in differents ISA slots? Try to use XTIDE with IRQ enabled if you have available IRQ channel (IRQ5 should be free if you don't have any other hard disk controller or sound card).

Comment

I found another bug in RC1, this time a serious bug since data corruption might occur!

Hard disk reset works in RC1 and all previous versions by assuming that master and slave drives would need to be reset separately. This is wrong since both master and slave drives will always reset at the same time.

This didn't matter before block mode transfers were implemented since all drives were used with their initial settings. Resetting the drive will disable block mode so BIOS will re-enable it for the only drive it expected to be reset.

Everything works when there is no slave drive or if master drive does not support block mode. Resetting the slave drive will reset master as well and disable block mode. Block mode will be re-enabled for slave drive only. Worst thing is that BIOS does not know that block mode was disabled for master drive. This will lead to data corruption on master drive since BIOS and the drive expects different block size.

I already fixed this and the boot menu slowdown bug too. RC2 needs more testing so i'll release it later this week.

Comment

good news on the bug fix!

question though:

I have already programmed all the atmel parts with RC1. The rest of the parts will be here today and I am ready to start shipping kits out this week. Do you want me to just ship with RC1, or should I reprogram them all again and ship later/next week?

Comment

I flashed my board with RC1 last night and it gave me failure error can't remember now what it was but anyway now it's dead No floppy boot or anything else. Removed XTIDE card and booted from floppy drive. I have the REV 02 board I bought a few month's back. HELP! Was installed in a 8088 clone motherboard with ISA multi I/O card.
                *FrankG*

Comment

1) Remove the "bios enable" jumper with the card installed in the machine.
                  2) Boot to a floppy with the flash utility on it.
                  3) Re-install the jumper
                  4) run the flash program

You should always be able to go back this way, even if the flash totally bombs out.

Comment

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what drive size could the at bios handle?
                    I have a Promise EIDEmax but that only allows me 8 of 40GB. ( Overkill, I know )

Comment

The error I get is "Data verification Failed" What can I do to correct this?
                      *FrankG*

Comment

Swapped SEEQ EEPROM for another one I had and it works now! Go Figure bad SEEQ EEPROM.
                        Last edited by Chromedome45; February 16, 2010, 04:52 PM.
                        *FrankG*

Comment

Originally posted by TheLazy1 View Post
                          I have a Promise EIDEmax but that only allows me 8 of 40GB. ( Overkill, I know )
                          that 8 gig limit is likely coming from your O/S, not the controller card.
                          I suspect your controller card could do at least 137G, but you'd need FAT32 in order to support it, which DOS 6.22 and backwards doesn't support.

The XTIDE card can do 137G too, and could easily (possibly already supported?) 48bit LBA, which gives you drives beyond what they are currently making, but without an OS to support it, you'll top out at 8.4G or less no matter what you've got.

Comment

Originally posted by hargle View Post
                            Do you want me to just ship with RC1, or should I reprogram them all again and ship later/next week?
                            Go on with RC1. Most people will probably have only one drive so they are not affected by the bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLazy1 View Post
                              Total drive capacity should be detected correctly even on drives over 137GB. At the moment the BIOS cannot access more than 8.4GB. This is a limitation of the old BIOS functions that DOS 6 and older operating systems use. Eventually i will add support for EBIOS functions so all capacity can be accessed. It is not high on todo list since computers that are capable of running Windows 95 or later don't need XTIDE.

Before EBIOS support i'll probably do some sort of bios partitioning so large drives can be partitioned to many small logical drives to be used with DOS 6 and older.

Comment

Sorry for my late reply, but due to high workload at my job, it was earlier not possible.

Picture of your multi I/O card should be okay since i can use it to find the card info from TH99.
                                I tried again to find the my card on TH99, but I still can't find exactly the same card, so I will post the picture now.

I meant what other cards do you have installed in addition to the XTIDE, VGA and multi I/O card.
                                I tried some seriell / parallel port cards and different mfm harddisk controllers, but it seems not to influence the stability/instability of XTIDE. If I plug in the IBM floppy controller (with or without other cards - it doesn't matter), it works.

Have you tried the multi I/O or XTIDE card in differents ISA slots?
                                Yes... i think nearly all combinations. I tested it with the xt turbo clone and the original IBM board - exactly the same!

Try to use XTIDE with IRQ enabled if you have available IRQ channel (IRQ5 should be free if you don't have any other hard disk controller or sound card).
                                I tried without IRQ (no jumper set) and with jumper at different IRQs (include setting in XTIDE bios). The problems are still the same. Still I have on both boards the situation, that booting from XTIDE is not possibe if I only have the VGA adapter and the XTIDE card pluged in (without any floppy controller). Did your xt board not show this phenomenon?
                                Last edited by quark; February 24, 2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X