Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

4264 DRAM compatible with 4164?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4264 DRAM compatible with 4164?

Hi Guys,

I'm repairing is old Atari 800XL board which gives a RAM error. It has MT4264 ICs soldered in. I've done some web browsing and it seems to me that NEC 4164 ICs are compatible with these.

I've got some spare 4164s so I got brave and tried the piggybacking technique to see if I could identify the offending chip. Sure enough, when the 4164 is piggybacked over one of the 4264's the machine passes it's memory tests and boots. In fact, it seems ok?

Before I go and socket/solder this in though, I just want to check with knowledgable people that these are indeed 100% compatible.

Does anyone know if they are not?

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Um, no Tezz--the MN4264 (I assume that's the part you're talking about) is 65Kbit all right, but organized as 4x16K, not 1x64K like the 4164.

MN4264 datasheet
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Tez,
      I never heard of the 4264, but some searching showed that it is backward compatible with the 4164 but the 4164 is not upward compatible. This means if the Atari uses Page Mode in its design to speed up read/writes, the 4164 may not work. But who may know if they used 'Page Mode' addressing??

Here is a link to the Micron Technology 4264 part. http://generalthomas.com/Old_Test_Eq...Micron4264.pdf

Comment

Chuck,
        I guess we posted about the same time. So the first thing is to check what 4264 does Tez have in the Atari?
        -Dave

Comment

Thanks guys.

It's a MT4264-15. Anyway, I cut out the old RAM IC and soldered in a socket. I've plugged the NEC D4164C in there, and I've had the ATARI ticking over in BASIC fairly successfully running a few loops and functions etc. Of course that's not to say it won't crash when it's doing something else.

I'm not sure if the Atari has a "page mode". I suspect it might as the two Atari 800XLs I know of both use the 4264 IC. I might have to track down some more documentation.

I'm investigating this as received a query on my own New Zealand Vintage computer forums from a guy with an Atari RAM problem. See
          http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/....php?f=4&t=112

Anyway, by chance, I ALSO have a Atari 800XL board which has faulty RAM. It's one I've kept for spare parts. I wondered about the 4164 being a possible fix for this problem (they seem easier to obtain) so before I got back to the guy in the NZ forum I thought I'd try it out myself.

The jury is still out I think.

Tez

Comment

Originally posted by tezza View Post
            I've plugged the NEC D4164C in there, and I've had the ATARI ticking over in BASIC fairly successfully running a few loops and functions etc. Of course that's not to say it won't crash when it's doing something else.
            Tez,
            You would be better off running a good memory test with walking one patterns, etc, but it seems the 4164 will be OK.
            -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave_m View Post
              Tez,
              You would be better off running a good memory test with walking one patterns, etc, but it seems the 4164 will be OK.
              -Dave
              Yes, I might look for such a test over the next few days.

The Atari 800XL does a memory check when it first boots. That's why these problems are easy to diagnose. If the RAM wasn't compatible you would think that memory test would pick that up. But then again...it may not be a very sophisticated test.

Tez

Comment

I have an Atari 800XL that I don't know anything about and have no cables for... I don't know how much it costs to ship back and forth from NZ<->USA but perhaps you have some spare peripherals, power adapter, etc...?
                More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
                Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
                I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Raven but we do get Atari 800XLs appearing here from time to time. Some of the scruffier ones just go for a few dollars.

As the one I've just worked on is a junk machine for spare parts I'm not going to worry about fixing it too much. But for Nathan though (the guy who posted in the NZ forums) his best option might be to look for a scruffy but working ATARI on our TRADE ME site and swap the boards, or get hold of a broken one (even cheaper) and solder out a RAM chip if he has the skills.

Alternatively he could look for 4264 ICs out here in the wild here in NZ somewhere. I don't fancy his chances with this option.

For myself I'm now curious as to whether or not the Atari 800XL does indeed NEED the MT8264 ICs that seem to be soldered in there, and whether an 4164 is an acceptable substitute.

Some research is in order I think. I need to find out if "Page Mode" addressing is used by the Atari 800XL at all. From what Dave_m said, this seems to be the main difference between the two.

Tez

Comment

Next time, you need to specify the prefix to the part number. The Matsushita MN4264 is not the same as the Micron MT4264. Confusing, huh?

You're probably all right with a 4164, depending on its date and manufacture. For example, the KM4164B from Samsung also has Page mode, as does the TI TMS4164.

Comment

Very Confusing.

But with respect Chuck, I did say MT4264 in my very first post so the prefix was there

What is needed on the web is some kind of "at a glance" site, which has a large table of RAM ICs, showing equivalents from the many different manufacturers. Perhaps such a thing would be just too large, but there certainly is a confusing morass of names and numbers out there.

Tez

Comment

Very Confusing.

But with respect Chuck, I did say MT4264 in my very first post so the prefix was there

What is needed on the web is some kind of "at a glance" site, which has a large table of RAM ICs, showing equivalents from the many different manufacturers. Perhaps such a thing would be just too large, but there certainly is a confusing morass of names and numbers out there.

Tez
                        You've got him there, Tez
                        Besides, 4bit DRAMs usually have 18 pins so you wouldn't be able to piggyback a 16 pin chip...

But you're right; the numbers are indeed confusing in many cases, especially RAM chips; most of the time you can ignore the manufacturer's prefix, but once in a while the same number does refer to two different types.

As it happens I'm just cataloging and inventorying some RAM and EPROM chips; lots of fun...

Here are a couple of somewhat incomplete lists; no small DRAMs, but better than nothing...:

http://www.serve.com/macsite/ChipMerRamGuide.html
                        http://www.infinityelectronics.com/crossref.htm
                        Last edited by MikeS; April 11, 2010, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                          As it happens I'm just cataloging and inventorying some RAM and EPROM chips; lots of fun...
                          I'll bet (-NOT!) . Are you going to publish it somewhere when done Mike?

Incidently, I managed to obtain a copy of SAMS Computerfacts for the Atari 800XL. They specifiy the RAM type as HM4864P-2 (??). Replacement types are listed as General Electrinc 4164-15, NTE4164 and ECG2164(!!). Not a sign of a MT4264-15, which were the ICs actually in the thing.

No mention of the NEC 4164C-15 I used as a replacement either but based on the other compatible ICs I think it will certainly be ok.

Obviously there was some but not a lot of standardisation of nomeclature regarding RAM ICs back in those days. Is it because there was no overall international body setting naming conventions? Many manufacturers just thought of a number for their ICs and called them that?

Tez

Comment

Thanks for the offer Raven but we do get Atari 800XLs appearing here from time to time. Some of the scruffier ones just go for a few dollars.

As the one I've just worked on is a junk machine for spare parts I'm not going to worry about fixing it too much. But for Nathan though (the guy who posted in the NZ forums) his best option might be to look for a scruffy but working ATARI on our TRADE ME site and swap the boards, or get hold of a broken one (even cheaper) and solder out a RAM chip if he has the skills.

Alternatively he could look for 4264 ICs out here in the wild here in NZ somewhere. I don't fancy his chances with this option.

For myself I'm now curious as to whether or not the Atari 800XL does indeed NEED the MT8264 ICs that seem to be soldered in there, and whether an 4164 is an acceptable substitute.

Some research is in order I think. I need to find out if "Page Mode" addressing is used by the Atari 800XL at all. From what Dave_m said, this seems to be the main difference between the two.

Tez
                            I think you misunderstood - I was asking if you had spare peripherals you could sell/ship to me - I actually had considered selling it to you first, but I promised someone who gave it to me that I'd hold onto it and not sell it.
                            More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
                            Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
                            I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

Very Confusing.

I missed that, going by the subject title, instead. Silly me for not reading the fine print.

Comment

Working...
                              X