Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Repairing a Commodore 2040 IEEE-488 drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing a Commodore 2040 IEEE-488 drive

I recently acquired one of these units, and was not at all shocked to get the famous "blinking LEDs" error advisory when I turned it on. Sources online seem divided about the precise interpretation I should attach to the code thus reported (7 flashes, pause, repeat), though the general consensus is the fault probably lies in the second common RAM range. (I have seen conflicting reports indicating that the 2040 may or may not share a board design with the 4040. Did they use the same chip identifiers between the two boards? UD5 in one drive is not necessarily the same thing in a different model.) Alas, the only chip (and I checked them all) that seemed to get notably hot was a perfectly ordinary 7404 with no chip identifier printed next to it. It was right below what looks like an oscillator can, so for all I know, it's supposed to do that as part of the clock generation.

Any ideas?

I'd also be very interested in hearing any techniques people might have for cleaning the grime out of the actual drive units. With the computer circuits not yet working I can't really test the old full-height floppy mechs (which use late-1970s technology that is several years more primitive than anything else in my collection and thus is not compatible with anything else I have available), but I observe a fairly consistent layer of what looks like heavy, mysteriously-adhered (is it magnetized?), black dust throughout the whole 2040 unit's insides. Don't get me wrong, it actually looks pretty good for a 29-year-old piece of retrotech that has probably been in a storage locker or worse for most of its existence, but it's a long way from being clean enough that I'd feel safe trusting elderly, fragile magnetic media to it.

Other than these issues, the thing is in beautiful shape, with only minor cosmetic issues -- and a sticker in the lid indicates it's been upgraded to DOS 2.0, too. Definitely worth the $20, IMO.

Does anyone know what order the two mechanisms are supposed to sit in the 2040 case? According to the drive mechanism bezels, reading from left to right it goes {drive 1}, then {drive 0}. Totally unimportant, I know, it just seems a bit eccentric, and I can tell someone's had the thing apart at some point because the bezels and so on are sitting very slightly crooked in the case.

Thanks to anyone who can advise,
    G.
    Last edited by gsteemso; July 12, 2010, 03:27 PM. Reason: Ran out of time quota for the original post.
    the world’s only gsteemso
    agitator-in-chief for the Seattle Retro-Computing Society

Yes. Bad RAM. I *think* you'd want to replace D4/5 RAM. I also *think* that the 2040 and 4040 boards have the same RAM markings.
    Let me know how it goes. There may be other problems too, but get some new 2114's and see how that goes first. I don't think a hot chip in this case is a problem.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Comment

Gah! Ninja'd during my edit!

Thanks for that much, anyway, Bill. I lack the skill or experience to dare attack the thing with a soldering iron myself -- does anyone know what the going rate to have someone do the chip-swapping at an electronics shop is? I probably can't afford it anyway, but there has to be some solution.

G.

Comment

Originally posted by gsteemso View Post
        -- and a sticker in the lid indicates it's been upgraded to DOS 2.0, too. Definitely worth the $20, IMO. Does anyone know what order the two mechanisms are supposed to sit in the 2040 case?
        $20 is a good gamble. I paid $50 plus $50 shipping for my 2040 with only the standard notice of "it was working 25 years ago when I put it in the closet". I was lucky and it worked. Drive 1 is on the left and drive 0 is on the right. With DOS 2 ROMs, it is functionally equivalent to the 4040.

Check zimmers for info on the Shugart 390 drives.
        http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...040/index.html

This is the closest to a manual. It is for the single drive 2031:
        http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...031/index.html

Let me know if I can help with anything. What PET will you hook up to?
        -Dave
        Last edited by dave_m; July 12, 2010, 05:13 PM. Reason: added 2031 manual

Comment

I'm sure you could find a volunteer to help. where are you located? I have the 2040 user guide and some tech info. Tech references interchange the 2040 and 4040 often, they must be similar as far as the control boards go.

first blow it out to clear out the dust and debris, then clean with soap and water (lightly), then clean with isopropyl alcohol. It may seem like a daunting project but if you keep at it it's worth the experience.

bd
          @ BillDeg:
          Unauthorized Bio

Comment

If you get to the point that you have the correct lights, contact me or others here for software/testing tips. remember that this is a DOS 2 system so you have to use the old commands.
            @ BillDeg:
            Unauthorized Bio

Comment

Project update:

The board is indeed the one at Bo Zimmerman’s site, but this one appears to have been modified. That does tend to explain why the one chip was getting hot — it wasn’t intended to be there at the factory. If you look at the upper left corner of that board layout, there are two unpopulated chip positions between C40-C39 and C39-C2. The first of those has a 7406 (not, as I erroneously reported above, a 7404) occupying the lower 14 of the 16 solder pads at that position; this is the only chip on the board that gets noticeably hot. The one on the right has a normal-sized resistor with three red bands and one gold, soldered across the bottom two solder pads of that position. If memory serves, that means it is good for 220 Ω ±5% with a 1/8 watt power rating, correct? I am completely at sea as to the purpose of this two-component modification. Has anyone seen such a thing elsewhere?

Comment

Project update:

The one on the right has a normal-sized resistor with three red bands and one gold, soldered across the bottom two solder pads of that position. If memory serves, that means it is good for 220 Ω ±5% with a 1/8 watt power rating, correct? I am completely at sea as to the purpose of this two-component modification. Has anyone seen such a thing elsewhere?
                This is not much of a mod, an open collector hex inverter chip and an associated pull-up resistor of 2.2K ohms. If all the inputs were open, then all the 6 outputs would be drawing current so it might get a little warm but nothing to worry about.

There could be any number of reasons for this. Possibly someone was thinking of adding a new LED indicator or maybe someone bypassed a circuit that had a shorted trace as a repair, etc.

Are any of the outputs wired to something? You may have to trace the connections.

Don't worry about this mod unless there is a problem after you replace the RAMs.
                Last edited by dave_m; July 13, 2010, 09:26 AM. Reason: last line

Comment

I lack the skill or experience to dare attack the thing with a soldering iron myself --
                  Sure you can. Here are the steps.
                  1. Buy several 2114s in case one is bad, also buy two 18 pin IC sockets and some solder wick.
                  2. Using small diagonal cutters (dikes), cut off each leg of RAM chip close to the body. This will mimimize possibility of overheating the board when unsoldering legs.
                  3. Remove each leg using mimimum time as possible. Don't worry about the solder that is left.
                  4. Use solder wick to clean holes. http://www.ehow.com/video_4435740_us...ve-solder.html
                  5. Solder in the socket
                  6. Insert chip
                  Last edited by dave_m; July 13, 2010, 10:30 PM. Reason: replaced 'pliers' for more correct 'cutters' & 18 pin socket

Comment

Thanks Dave, it does sound simple when you put it that way.

I can’t do anything about the 2114s until I get paid, but I looked at the back of the board to see where the extra components are connected and... They’re not! The chip is connected to power and ground rails at the usual points, pin 4 is tied high at one leg of the resistor, and neither the other end of the resistor nor any of the 7406’s other pins are connected to anything. Very odd. Maybe someone got interrupted midway through a project?

Scrounging around for datasheets reveals pin 4 of a 7406 is the output of open-collector inverting buffer #2. I think this was intended as a pull-up resistor but whoever installed it got turned around in going from the front side to the back side of the board, and soldered the wire to the wrong leg of the resistor. No wonder the chip gets so hot, so quickly — only whatever internal resistance it has is keeping it from being an outright short circuit.

D’you think the excess current being thus diverted could be disrupting the RAM’s operation? The 7406 and UD5 are almost next to each other on the board, connected in parallel by about 1.5 inches of power and ground rails. (UC5 and some decoupling capacitors, also connected in parallel, lie between them.)

Investigations continue,
                    G.

Comment

Scrounging around for datasheets reveals pin 4 of a 7406 is the output of open-collector inverting buffer #2. I think this was intended as a pull-up resistor but whoever installed it got turned around in going from the front side to the back side of the board, and soldered the wire to the wrong leg of the resistor. No wonder the chip gets so hot, so quickly — only whatever internal resistance it has is keeping it from being an outright short circuit.
                      Yikes, that's not good for the 7406. I hope you unhooked the +5v from that circuit. It should not have much effect on the rest of the board assuming the +5V power supply is good, but who knows? If the chip was super hot maybe it affected adjacent components.

Comment

Oh, I chopped out the wire to the wrong leg of the resistor, and the one from the 7406 to the ground rail, as soon as I realized what the implications of that circuit were. Couldn’t readily cut the +5V connection because the chip is soldered directly to the rail (side effect of the soldering points’ position on the board). Still, the whole abused 7406 is now floating at +5V with no other connections, so apart from adding a teeny bit of stray capacitance it shouldn’t really affect anything now.

Naturally, the drive’s startup error is unaffected by this change. Ah well, it was always a long shot.

Comment

The 2114 RAM chips are 18 pin DIPs. Earlier I said they were 16 pin chips. Here is a link to a spec sheet:

http://generalthomas.com/PET/2114RAM.pdf

Comment

I still have a few broken 3040 drives in the basement, items I've offered for shipping costs or pick-up but nobody yet wanted to touch. I have been meaning to dump them (!) for almost a year now, but they remain in the basement. I doubt I will have any time or incentive to have another round of troubleshooting with them, but perhaps I should keep them piled in the basement for as long as I can afford the space in case one needs parts later on. At least the circuit boards contain valuable chips (if they can be tested good) and perhaps also drive mechs, case and power supplies can be of use.
                            Anders Carlsson

Comment

Anders, I’d offer to buy parts off you if we weren’t so expensively far apart. :¬) It seems there is no real difference other than firmware between 2040, 3040 and 4040 drives; not sure about the 8040. Seems Commodore just rebadged them to match whatever the current PET lineup was called. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Actually, Anders, if I pay the shipping plus a bit, could you mail me the plastic latch off one of the drive mechanisms? One of mine is broken off — the business end still works but there’s next to no handle left on it. It’s dead easy to remove; just open the lid on the unit and push inward on the latch, and it pops right off into the inside of the case. (Naturally, I did not figure that out until I had already unscrewed the little rail thingy it clips to. :¬\ )

I don’t know, maybe I should wait until I know if the affected mech even works… Not sure. I get paid Friday, so with any luck I’ll have enough to order some 2114s and try that repair mentioned above by next week. Found a cheap reseller of them at www.arcadechips.com, but he doesn’t specify access speed and his minimum order of $15 means it’s actually cheaper to pay half again as much at Jameco.

Comment

Working...
                              X