• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model M 82G2383 ribbon cable

DrCherry

I've had this model M for years and just recently the "g" and "h" keys stopped working. I took it apart and found that slight pressure on the ribbon cable would cause them to work. I cleaned the contacts with isopropol and a q-tip and re-seated them but the problem still happens occasionally.

I wonder if there's a fix for this. Maybe the clips in the connectors have lost their spring? What's the fix for this?

I've got another related model M but I'll post the questions separately.

I take it you mean one of the two mylar tabs with contacts? Buffing them with alcohol isn't enough, take a folded banknote (dollar bill in US) and buff the contacts on the tape until they are a uniform color.

Old contacts can look like tarnished silver. Buffing them makes them resemble a good solder. Not gleaming, shiny silver, but a silver-ish uniform color.

Don't use an ink eraser or any abrasive. Once the trace is gone, it is gone....

Krud Kutter rust inhibitor solution on a cuetip is a better solution than any abrasive.

I've used it for years to clean connectors and traces, just a tiny bit goes a long way.

Deoxit is a lot more expensive and generally hard to find locally. I do attest to it working very well though, I've used it to get misbehaving AGP/PCI/ISA slots working again.

Back