• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scsi hard drive trouble, unit doesn't spin up.

luckybob

Veteran Member
A few days ago I won this hard drive and tried to fire it up last weekend: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230863295543

My normal testbed is an 440gx motherboard with an onboard adaptec 7896. All day saturday, the drive would actually spin-up, but would never "be ready" when the bios came knocking. In fact 2-3 seconds after it spun up it would give up and spin down. Only a power cycle would get it to spin up again.

I found correct jumper settings online, set it to spin-up on command. It did. Still spun down, bios still failed the drive.

Sunday, drive stops spinning up at all. I decided I don't have anything to lose at this point, and I pull the drive apart, looking for loose connections or anything that has released its magic smoke. I did NOT open the box containing the platters. I did find a copper electrode that grounded the spindle of the motor. it was very badly corroded. A salt & vinegar bath cleaned it up like a new penny and I reassembled the drive.

no dice. The drive still replies to the controller, but no longer spins up or becomes ready.

I'm hoping someone here has some advice, because unless a miracle happens, I have a 20 pound toe stubber. :sarcasm:

If it was having trouble spinning up and now refuses to do so, it is probably ready to be recycled.

Who makes the drive and what model is it?

Back