Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Another round of XT-IDE V2 PCBs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another round of XT-IDE V2 PCBs?

Hi
    I am still getting requests for XT-IDE V2 PCBs and am considering doing another round. If there are 20+ "firm" requests this is probably doable. If you are interested please send me an email at LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM with "XT-IDE" in the subject. Everything would be the same as the previous batch.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Hi

There are about 18 boards for builders in the wait queue for XT-IDE V2 PCBs. There has to be a minimum of 20 "firm" requests (preferably more) to make a PCB manufacturing order viable so if you are interested in getting an XT-IDE V2 PCB please send me an email. These are the Do-It-Yourself PCBs using the old school plated through hole construction for easy assembly using your own parts. Please see the wiki article for more information.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...tle=XTIDE+Rev2

If cost is an issue, you can leave much of the board unpopulated and still have a functioning XT-IDE board. This version includes the "chuck mod" and other improvements over the original. The PCBs will be the same as the last couple of XT-IDE V2 rounds.

Thanks and have a happy holidays!

Andrew Lynch

PS, the cost would be the same as before: $12 per PCB with $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere. Shipping is USPS first class parcel with no tracking unless you specify otherwise. The builder assumes all risks and the boards are "as is". The XT-IDE project is by hobbyists for other hobbyists on a non-commercial basis.
    Last edited by NobodyIsHere; November 29, 2012, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Hi!
      There is enough builders to make this work so I will go ahead and get another batch. There will be enough for everyone who signed up plus a few who didn't. The PCBs should be here in about three weeks.

Andrew Lynch

Comment

Hi! Good news!

The XT-IDE V2 PCBs have arrived. I am sending out the PCBs to the builders on the waiting list and will give them a couple of days.

The remaining boards will be available here after they get their boards.

The PCBs are $12 each plus $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere.

There are plenty of PCBs available so please get as many as you would like.

Please send a PayPal to LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM with “XT-IDE” in the title.

Please include your current shipping address in the PayPal.

The PCBs will be sent regular USPS first class postage without any tracking numbers and the builder assumes all risk of delivery.

If you want special shipping options such as package registration, tracking numbers, insurance, etc. please contact me to make arrangements.

It will cost extra and may be worthwhile in certain circumstances.

All of the packages I have sent so far have arrived safely but if you are aware of any “risk of delivery” issues please let me know beforehand.

Any packages with more than a couple of PCBs should at least have the delivery confirmation option which costs about $1 in the US.

After a couple days, I will post another announcement on here, CCTALK, comp.os.cpm, N8VEM mailing lists etc. to offer the remainder of the PCBs to send these to other builders.

Thank you very much for participating in the N8VEM home brew computing project.

Have a happy holidays! Andrew Lynch

Comment

Hi

If you are planning on getting an XT-IDE V2 PCB you should do so soon.

The stack is shrinking fast and there are only eleven (11) PCBs remaining.

Please contact me at LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM if interested.

Andrew Lynch

Comment

Hi

An update; there are 10 XT-IDE V2 PCBs left.

Andrew Lynch

Comment

Hi
              All of the XT-IDE V2 PCBs have gone to their builders. However I am getting more emails requesting another batch.

If you are looking for the XT-IDE V2 PCBs please send me an email at LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM with XT-IDE in the subject.

Once there are enough requests to make an order viable I will place another order.

These are the Do-It-Yourself all plated through hole parts PCBs that you build yourself. No kits or assembled units are available.

They include the "chuck mod" and UART for remote booting.

Andrew Lynch

PS these are the "classic" XT-IDE V2 design. No SMT, CPLD, 8-bit, or CF socket. You can use a CF to IDE adapter though. It is just the IDE controller, boot ROM, and serial port for remote booting.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...tle=XTIDE+Rev2
              Last edited by NobodyIsHere; February 18, 2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Hi! One of the XT-IDE V2 builders sent me this handy jumper configuration sheet.

https://files.pbworks.com/download/b...20settings.png

I tried to update the XT-IDE V2 wiki with the graphic but it doesn't seem to work. If anyone can get this to upload and display properly mucho thanks in advance!

Have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Comment

I would say that label D800h at the picture of P11 in third row is misleading. It should actually read D000h. And little wish, maybe could the builder add weights of the jumpers to address and IDE I/O settings pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchaj View Post
                    and UART for remote booting
                    Can one leave the UART unpopulated if remote booting isn't required?
                    Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Hi
                      Yes, on the schematic the UART and ROM BIOS sections are Do-Not-Populate because they are optional. Most builders add the ROM but only a few really need the UART.

Andrew Lynch

Comment

Hi

Numerous builders have requested more XT-IDE V2 PCBs so I ordered another batch. They should be here in late Mar 2013.

These will be identical to the previous batches. They are $12 each plus $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere.

Due to changes at the USPS I may have to increase shipping costs. I will post more information once I know what the new prices are.

Andrew Lynch

Comment

Originally posted by lynchaj View Post
                          Hi
                          Yes, on the schematic the UART and ROM BIOS sections are Do-Not-Populate because they are optional. Most builders add the ROM but only a few really need the UART.

Andrew Lynch
                          Are there any other components that can be left out? Like, can this be used as let's say an "XT-IDE V1 board" but with power to drive DoMs? Just wondering, because just leaving out the UART, would lead me to think the support chips for the UART can also be left out... but maybe I'm talking BS here, since I do know how to solder, not how to read schematics

I'd like to build an XT-IDE V1 board for use in my Model 30 286, that's why I'm asking... and since V1 PCBs aren't available anymore I was wondering what the cheapest way would be to build a controller that just makes it possible to use a 32MB DoM in an IBM Model 30 286...
                          Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening. - Kevin Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Denniske1976 View Post
                            I'd like to build an XT-IDE V1 board for use in my Model 30 286, that's why I'm asking... and since V1 PCBs aren't available anymore I was wondering what the cheapest way would be to build a controller that just makes it possible to use a 32MB DoM in an IBM Model 30 286...
                            Model 30 286 has an 16-bit ISA, so why not to use regular IDE card? I think Jameco was selling AT IDE + FDC cards really cheap. Another option is to use a sound card with an IDE interface (just make sure it is not a PnP card).
                            Not sure though if the BIOS will support IDE disks (probably it won't)... so you'll still need some card to put the Universal IDE BIOS extension ROM. If you have a network card, that could be an option.

Comment

Hi! The XT-IDE V2 PCBs will be here soon. They will cost the same as before ($12 each). However due to unforeseen extreme price increases in shipping by USPS I am forced to change shipping costs.

Shipping in the US will be $3 for a single PCB and $2 for each additional PCB. Shipping internationally will be $10 for a single PCB and $3 for each additional PCB. This is for the bare basics USPS first class postage with no tracking or insurance. The builder assumes all risk of delivery as per usual arrangement.

I apologize for the large price increase on shipping but this is out of my hands. The USPS is in dire financial trouble and is raising prices on shipping. It affects us all and is most unfortunate. These boards are provided "at cost" so there is no margin to absorb any shipping price increases. I have to pass them along.

If you would still like an XT-IDE V2 PCB please send a PayPal for $12 plus shipping as appropriate to LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM and I will send them out ASAP.

Andrew Lynch

PS, please be sure to have your *current* shipping address in your PayPal along with "XT-IDE V2" in the subject line. Please include your VCF screen name as well to help keep the conversation straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X