• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another exciting episode of "what the heck is this?"

luckybob

Veteran Member
This one should be easy, but I'm stumped on what these memory sticks are FOR. They seem proprietary for a reason...
PIC:

http://i.imgur.com/mDUef.jpg

Top is a 72 pin simm. I haven't tried it in anything yet, but I ran what numbers I could. the chips are 1M x 4 and I have NO clue what the center chip is for.

Bottom is some sort of 30 pin simm. numbers on the chips come back as 256 x 1. But as you can see, its a very special shape. It will not fit into any 30 pin socket that I have available. I also have EIGHT of these, although one is missing is 9th chip.

I got these in a box with other items off ebay. Everything else in the box has worked so far. But I don't know what these simms go into. Anyone know?

I think that the ninth (missing) chip on the 30-pin SIMM is for parity bit. Apparently these guys run out of space on the SIMM (because they used DIP chips instead of some kind of SMT chips), so they put the parity one on the side.

Also my guess is that the square chip in the middle of the 72-pin SIMM is a parity generator. This is probably to save some money on the DRAM, and yet keep systems (that require parity bit) happy.

Parity 30-pin SIMMs - a workstation of some description perhaps, or a PC-based network server maybe? Whatever it was, 386-based I wouldn't mind betting.

I already figured out they were parity simms, I was just wondering what they went INTO. The 30 pin ones seem like they only fit into a non-standard socket.

Back