• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5161 expansion unit on E-Bay

bettablue

Veteran Member
OK, I'm confused. This expansion chassis on E-Bay linked to just below this paragraph, looked pretty good, especially with a starting bid of $500.00. Has interest in these waned, or are there enough popping up recently that the numbers are driving the prices down?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5161IBM-XT-...Pur9eXEKraU1xC2N%2FGc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

What surprises me is that it didn't even get one bid, even though it is a complete unit with the extender card, what appears to be a good working hard disc and controller. Sure they didn't mention the cable, but those are still out there if you look. Although, some companies who have had the cables recently, and had them in different lengths, no longer have any at all. Is that another factor as to why this particular unit didn't sell, or is there some history here that I don't know about?

I've also contacted the seller to see about adding it to the expansion unit database, but so far haven't gotten a reply.

Any ideas?

Dunno. Starting bid that high I think is towards the top of the value of the system IMO. $75 shipping is a minimum of $575 *IF* you really need more ISA devices attached to your system. I personally have always been fine with the number of slots available (sans today's technology though I don't accessorize today either). Could also be the category and not getting to the right viewers though.

Maybe the seller's horrible grammer has something to do with it. Does this guy know what a period is? My 1st grader writes better than that. Sellers with low IQ turn me off completely.

Ah, so there is something else going on that I didn't know about. Doesn't answer the question, but at this point, I guess it doesn't matter then, does it...

OK, I'm confused. This expansion chassis on E-Bay linked to just below this paragraph, looked pretty good, especially with a starting bid of $500.00. Has interest in these waned, or are there enough popping up recently that the numbers are driving the prices down?

The person you linked to has been relisting that unit for months at the same price. I told him his price was too high without the cable and he got somewhat irate, telling me he sold them for $1500 "last month".

What surprises me is that it didn't even get one bid, even though it is a complete unit with the extender card, what appears to be a good working hard disc and controller. Sure they didn't mention the cable, but those are still out there if you look. Although, some companies who have had the cables recently, and had them in different lengths, no longer have any at all. Is that another factor as to why this particular unit didn't sell, or is there some history here that I don't know about?

Economics 101. Supply and demand. There is more supply than demand at that asking price. I would not buy one for $500.

(I did recently buy one for $250 (woohoo!) but have not received it yet so I'm keeping my whoopin' and hollerin' at a lull until it is set up and functional.)

I've also contacted the seller to see about adding it to the expansion unit database, but so far haven't gotten a reply.

Expansion unit database? Of owners? Where is this?

Howdy Trixter. I see by your reply that you got an expansion unit for $250! Congrats! As far as tracking, and the database, well, that's something I'm doing on my web page at www.allthingsdos.com. within the next couple of weeks, my business partner and I will be posting the database along with a registration form to help us track those expansion units that are still in operation.

For now though, I'm taking the information and entering it into an Excel sheet by hand. If you don't mind, when it arrives and you have it up and running, send me your first and last name, the serial number and the working status of your expansion unit. That is, if it's working or not; if it's missing a key piece to keep it from working, etc.

That's all.

I'll notify everyone here when we have the IBM 5161 registration form and database up and operational on our web page as soon as we get it up and running.

The person you linked to has been relisting that unit for months at the same price. I told him his price was too high without the cable and he got somewhat irate, telling me he sold them for $1500 "last month".

Economics 101. Supply and demand. There is more supply than demand at that asking price. I would not buy one for $500.

(I did recently buy one for $250 (woohoo!) but have not received it yet so I'm keeping my whoopin' and hollerin' at a lull until it is set up and functional.)

Expansion unit database? Of owners? Where is this?

IMO when I look at auctions like this, I have to ask the question; What else could my money buy for $575.
Something like:

Cromemco System
Compupro 8/16
Heathkit H8
IBM 286XT

So for me, an IBM 5161 expansion box isn't even on the radar.

It isn't on most people's radar. But since I do graphics development with mine, and since I have both cards and monitors, and I also perform media archival with an option board, and I have a hard disk, etc. etc. it will really make my life a lot easier.

I believe it's also the only way you can get 14 ISA cards into a system. Or, if not the only way, the easiest way.

I guess I'm what you would call a techno geek in that regard, because once I had my 5150, I had to make it the best possible 5150 system I could afford. For me, the question of whether or not I wanted one was never an issue. As soon as I saw an IBM 5161 expansion unit mentioned and I found out what it was, and what it could and would allow me to do with my 5150, I had to have one. Luckily, mine didn't cost me anywhere near $500.00. In fact, I only paid $40.00 for expansion chassis, sans drives and controller. Then after buying period correct drives and controller for only another $50.00, I was pretty much set. Everything else in my expansion unit was already in my parts bins, having been stripped from other older PCs. Of course, I have about another $50.00 in shipping costs added in. Personally, I think I jumped on the lucky bus the day I bought expansion. $140.00 total? That's going to be a hard price to beat.

The reason I'm so curious as to why this one hasn't sold is because recent E-Bay sales of these expansion units have all seemed to end in the $800.00 area. I can see that, given the supposed rarity. But I also knew that if more and more of these things popped up, prices would fall. When I got mine almost a year ago now, there were only a very small handful of them that were known to exist which were still in working condition. Now, that number has grown to about 20. Still a low number, but that just proves that there are a lot more of these expansion units out there than any of us know about. So yeah, prices should come down. I thought that might be the case here, and why this particular specimen hasn't even had one bid.

Thanks for your insight Trixter. I see I was partly correct in my assumption, but as you pointed out, there is always more to the story, which you proved so well.

IMO when I look at auctions like this, I have to ask the question; What else could my money buy for $575.
Something like:

Cromemco System
Compupro 8/16
Heathkit H8
IBM 286XT

So for me, an IBM 5161 expansion box isn't even on the radar.

The reason I'm so curious as to why this one hasn't sold is because recent E-Bay sales of these expansion units have all seemed to end in the $800.00 area.
Presumably they were complete with the Expansion Unit Adapter Card and the umbilical cord? They're not much use without both.

I know that particular seller has sold at least one (and maybe two) at that price previously. But those units had a receiver card and a non-official cable. Not sure if they had a transmitter card. Honestly, it is the right person/right time deal. If he is in no rush he keeps listing it until either someone who really wants one shows up, or the supply goes down. There are way too many 5161s on the market right now. I see one or two every few months. The other issue is the psychology.... There was another 5161 from a forum member that did not sell for a much lower price even though it was listed MULTIPLE times and had lowered the price. It was even better equipped. At the same time people were bidding up 5161s to much higher prices then his starting bid. There is no explaining eBay behavior!

Well, well, well... Look at what I found on E-Bay. It's hard to determine just what this is because the sellers description seems to differ from what the photo shows. Although it's obvious to VCF members in general that there were never any expansion units labeled with the 5150 part number. To me, it actually looks like something someone had pieced together from available parts. But what disturbs me the most is the lack of photo documentation, or any documentation for that matter. I single photo of the interior would help to properly identify this unit, and possibly show if there is more rust in and around the interior. There are only 2 photos in the ad, and both show the same view. Another thing is the amount of rust on the steel case. The sellers description tells me that he doesn't know what he has. It could be a 5150 PC, or 5160 XT with a 5161 case upper, or it might in fact be an honest 5161. $30.00 shipping isn't bad, but again, not knowing for sure what this really is, $65.00 would be out of the question. I still think it's mote than likely a 5150 with the 5161 case upper.

For those of you who might be interested, I'm including the direct link. At least the price isn't too terribly bad; if in fact it is a genuine expansion unit. Then again, without the extender card and connecting cable, it would be useless. Follow the link below, and make your own decision. In the meantime, I'll contact the seller to see if he can post some more photos, or maybe even email them to me directly. If he will do that, I'll post them in this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMB-PERSONA...tage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item4ac1283c01

wow, did they drege that up from a lake bottom or something? Also, I'm not familiar with IMB, is that some sort of Chinese knockoff of IBM? :mrgreen:

but seriously, get the guy to pop it open and take a picture of the inside. ( at the very least the rear). I'm sure that would dispel any questions about what model of IMB it is.

wow, did they drege that up from a lake bottom or something? Also, I'm not familiar with IMB, is that some sort of Chinese knockoff of IBM? :mrgreen:

but seriously, get the guy to pop it open and take a picture of the inside. ( at the very least the rear). I'm sure that would dispel any questions about what model of IMB it is.

LOL... I have to agree with you. Whatever it is, looks like it was stored in a rainforest or something.

It is most likely, it's a 5150 PC or 5161 XT with a 5161 case upper. Then again, if it is an expansion unit, missing an extender card and cable make it pretty much worthless. The seller really needs to provide more information and photos. And again, without additional info, who knows what this thing is. It could be just another pile of assembled parts made to work. It does appear to have full height floppy and hard disc drives. But that doesn't help to identify it one way or another. I've seen too many 5150 computers upgraded to include hard disc, floppy drive, etc. All it really takes is the right power supply, and the appropriate controller card. So we're still at a stand still until the seller sends me some photos and additional information.

We'll see if I get anything back from the seller.

I just checked out the store selling this expansion unit; eparts_xp. Most of the items they sell are printer related, from whole printers to printer trays, etc. They also have an IBM 5170 AT computer. It's in pretty sad shape too. If anything, the AT computer looks to be a bit worse shape because of rust. There is so much rust on the case that it appears the paint is all but gone. Then there are some photos of the rear which indicate to me that it is also filled with rusty components. Personally, for the money he's asking, I wouldn't buy either the expansion unit, nor the 5170 AT. I just can't trust that any of the internal components would work, and if they did function, I surely wouldn't put any bets on how long they would last.

Back