• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Corrosion on a card - is it savable?

Smack2k

Veteran Member
I don't think this card is savable, but want to ask you more knowledgable folks if it worth a shot at a clean.

The Card is a Stealth 64 VLB Card with an S3 Chip

Here are the pics of the card and the bad stuff:

The Card:

Picture of Card.jpg

Really Bad Corrosion:

Corrosion Worst.jpg

Bad Corrosion:

Rom Board Corrosion.jpg

As I said I don't think it can be saved, BUT if it can...what do you suggest I do? Soldiering / Cleaning, whatever, I am up for a try!

I'll be honest, I wouldn't bother fixing it, the S3 PCI cards are dirt common, especially Diamond ones.

Based on the damage done, it looks like it's eaten through a couple traces there, so you can always try cleaning it up with vinegar or your cleanup method of choice, but I have a feeling this one's already gone.

I'd suggest a paste of baking soda and water. (If it was acidic.) Brush it on gently and see if it gets rid of the corrosion.

The substance is probably from a leaky battery, so you'll need vinegar or some other mild acid to neutralize it. Just douse the whole area, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then go back over it with alcohol and a soft brush. Make sure to remove the BIOS chip and clean underneath it.

Then you can survey the situation and see how much actual damage there is.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't bother fixing it, the S3 PCI cards are dirt common, especially Diamond ones.

You missed the part about it being VLB. Those are considerably harder to find.

Based on the damage done, it looks like it's eaten through a couple traces there, so you can always try cleaning it up with vinegar or your cleanup method of choice, but I have a feeling this one's already gone.

its actually VLB, and all vb cards are worth saving. Cirris Logix 5340's are up for debate though... I'd get some baking soda and water and toothbrush everything off and give it a shot.

worst case scenario, it just wont post.

Again with the baking soda... that isn't going to do anything against another alkaline substance. The leakage needs to be neutralized with an acid.

the point remains valid. Now that I think about it, I clean contacts with a salt/vinegar solution.

Plain vinegar should be fine. Adding salt creates a very corrosive combination (free chloride ions) and doesn't do a thing to neutralize the leaked electrolyte.

Rinse well.

Does the type of vinegar matter?

Do I need white vinegar? I have apple cider here in the house, but will go get the right stuff if needed

Cider will work and even though it has some color you're going to was it off anyway. Vinegar is vinegar as far as the chemical goes -- it's a weak acid.

Cider vinegar is okay--save the regular cider for drinking--just be sure to wash the cider vinegar off with clear water. It's probably not a good idea to use balsamic vinegar--too much dissolved "other" substances.

I just use regular white vinegar for alkaline battery clean-up.

(Boring video of me doing just that)

But, what you have looks more like iron oxide (rust deposits).

So, if simple vinegar won't do the trick, you're more likely to need something a little stronger. I find lemon juice to be handy in removing rust stains.

Good luck!

Rom chip had a pin break while coming out

Cleaning rest but even worth finding a replacement chip?

Is it even doable?

Rom chip had a pin break while coming out

Cleaning rest but even worth finding a replacement chip?

Is it even doable?

I am not sure if all this process (cleaning the card, and now finding and programming the EPROM) worth the effort, unless you're doing it for self education purposes (getting trained for repairing more complicated stuff).

But to answer your question:
- You can try to repair the EPROM by carefully soldering pin back to its place (depending how/where the pin broke).
- You can find another 27C256 EPROM and Video BIOS image for your card, and program the EPROM. You'll need an EPROM programmer, or a friend with one :)
- It is not very likely to find already pre-programmed EPROM specifically for your card.

P.S. It might be my personal opinion, but I really hate VLB cards. They never worked well, especially when multiple VLB cards (e.g. IDE and VGA) were installed in the same system. For 486 system, I'd rather prefer a later PCI based or an EISA based ones. Yet VLB might be viable option for a fast 386 system.

I am just doing this for training.

The card came clean with not much damage outside that BIOS

I am gonna pitch it but what items should I take off of it first outside the extra RAM?

If this is a labour of love, and you dearly want to save the card; find the traces, solder wire to fix the gaps. If the edge connector is corroded badly, you can epoxy traces onto it. Look for arcade board edge connector repair kits.

No

Don't want to save it just learn from it.

Should I attempt to take anything else off outside the extra DRAM sticks that were put in?

IE unsolder any of it?

Keep the spare DRAM chips in case you find another one in the future that needs the upgrade.
Chances are you wont need anything else off it.

I keep a box of 'crap parts' that is full of old cards which don't work - when I need a component I dig through and desolder it then. Desoldering all components you might need one day takes time and they'll likely get damaged in storage - so just leave them in.

(I'm assuming 'pitch it' means 'throw it away')

Back