Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

9vdc voltage limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Knerr
    replied
    The end result was that I tried the 9v dropout regulator and it worked as expected. When the computer supplies a voltage less than 9v to the fan, the regulator passes the same voltage to the fan as on the regulator's input. But when the computer supplies more than 9v, the regulator limits the output to 9v. No more B52 bomber taking off on my desk.

To Chuck - The input voltage to the fan can be less than 12v because the voltage is controlled by the computer. There is a temperature sensor in the computer that runs the fan faster when the computer gets warmer, and runs the fan slower when the computer cools down. I didn't want to make the voltages independant of each other, I just wanted to limit the maximum voltage to the fan to 9v instead of 12v. A buck-boost converter would have had the exact opposite effect of what I was looking for. I sincerely hope you understand the question and answer at this point because I don't know of a way to explain it any better than I have.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Well, I have to admit that I'm puzzled by all of this.

If you want to make the output truly independent of the input voltage, then use a buck-boost converter--there are plenty. But I still can't understand why the input voltage to the regulator is expected to drop much below 12V. Are you planning to arc-weld with it in your off-time?

If this isn't a computer application, then it's miscategorized.

Leave a comment:

• xprt
    replied
    If you want to get fancy, you can make your own LDO:

Regulator.jpg

This circuit is from here: http://e2e.ti.com/support/power_mana...p/70729/256693

The trick is to use a depletion mode MOSFET, for example an IXYS IXTP6N50D2.

The depletion mode FET will be normally turned on, so when the regulator drops out the FET will stay on and feed the input directly to the output.

Of course I haven't tried it, so who knows if it works.
    Last edited by xprt; March 16, 2015, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xprt
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony Knerr View Post
    The 'Zener Limiter' circuit looks like the only thing that fits the requirements so far. Thank you.

I had hoped to use a dropout regulator for this though. I guess my question regarding the dropout regulator will go unanswered. Probably the only way I'll find out the true nature of this device is to try it for myself.

For those that didn't understand the inquiry, here's a further explanation. If the device has 1v on it's input, the output should be 1v. If the device has 2v on it's input, the output should be 2v. If the device has 3v on it's input, the output should be 3v. ...and so on up to where If the device has 9v on it's input, the output should be 9v. But if the device has 10v or above on it's input, the output is limited to 9v. I hope this clarifies my inquiry.

Tony
    How about an LT1963A? Lower dropout than the LD1086. If your fan draws about 200mA, the dropout is only about 0.15V. A problem with the low dropout regulator for your application is the behavior when it drops out is not well specified. The output voltage is not likely to drop nice and linearly as the input voltage drops. At some point as you lower the input voltage the output voltage might just collapse.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Every active bipolar device exhibits a certain amount of loss due to the presence of diode junctions, which runs about 0.6-0.7V per junction. Look at the schematic of the LM7800 series of regulators and you'll see that the drop from line to load is about 2V, or about 3 junctions. If you look at the LM7809 quick spec sheet here, you'll see that the minimum supply voltage to get 9V out is 11.2V, which, from a 12V regulated SMPSU, is more than adequate. At 71 cents, it's hard to see how you could be more cost-effective.

An LDO uses a somewhat different implementation that cuts the drop to about half that or less of the tranditional bipolar device, so it's handy if you're trying to get a 3.3V supply from a 5V rail. They still come in 3-terminal configurations.

Leave a comment:

• luckybob
    replied
    thats what I linked to you...

linear voltage regulators will lose some voltage, no matter what. The sheet you linked tells you it happens to be 1.3v. That means, NO MATTER WHAT you lose 1.3v So you need a minimum of 10.3v to get 9v out.

just buy that little module i linked.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Knerr
    replied
    The 'Zener Limiter' circuit looks like the only thing that fits the requirements so far. Thank you.

I had hoped to use a dropout regulator for this though. I guess my question regarding the dropout regulator will go unanswered. Probably the only way I'll find out the true nature of this device is to try it for myself.

For those that didn't understand the inquiry, here's a further explanation. If the device has 1v on it's input, the output should be 1v. If the device has 2v on it's input, the output should be 2v. If the device has 3v on it's input, the output should be 3v. ...and so on up to where If the device has 9v on it's input, the output should be 9v. But if the device has 10v or above on it's input, the output is limited to 9v. I hope this clarifies my inquiry.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• luckybob
    replied
    you can go "fancy" and use one of these: http://www.mpja.com/Adjustable-DC-Vo...fo/31800%20PS/

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Since this is a fan, an LM7809 should do just fine--cheaper than the LDO variety, even if the regulation at a line supply of +12V isn't as good. Its's a fan, after all.

Alternatively, you could use a variable regulator such as an LM317 to provide fine control.

Or you could stick a resistor in series with it (the fan nameplate should show power consumption).

Or you could go exotic and use a PWM regulator....

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    You could try the 'Zener Limiter' at [here]. 9V zener. It is a common circuit, often introduced to people during electronics training. There will be information on the Internet about how to calculate the component values (including power rating).

Leave a comment:

• Tony Knerr
    started a topic 9vdc voltage limiter

9vdc voltage limiter

I've asked about this several other places, but no one seems to know the answer.

I would like to limit a speed controlled 12vdc fan to 9v max. The caveat being that anything below 9v be passed at the same voltage in-and-out, so a simple resistor wont do. Will a dropout voltage regulator correctly perform this function? Something like this? http://www.jameco.com/1/1/34873-ld10...ulator-9v.html

Or is a more complex circuit required?

Thanks,

Tony
Working...
X