Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM 026 Keypunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM 026 Keypunch

Well I have just purchased what is now the oldest and one of the coolest pieces in my collection.
    I can't believe I won the auction for it on eBay let alone for $9!!
    Here is the auction for the only photos of it as of now since I haven't gotten it yet.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-26-Keypu...vip=true&rt=nc
    I'm sorry if I come off as if I may be bragging but I am honestly just so excited to have a keypunch, I thought I'd never own such a piece of history!

Now its not in the best condition and will need a lot of work, but I am prepared to preform said work and am excited to restore it!
    I have access to a small machine shop and a 3D printer so I can reproduce some parts myself.
    The only major missing piece I notice missing is the weight that sits in the card pickup.
    Machining that is obviously possible but will be difficult and look very out of place being freshly machined.

I was wondering what tips and tricks others may have for restoring a keypunch.
    I was also wondering if anyone knows of any PDFs online of the manual/repair manual for this keypunch!
    I am not able to find one personally in my somewhat brief Google searching.
    Any input is appreciated!
    Thanks!

Also don't know if this is of any relevance but being 17 I've never even seen an 026 before let alone used or worked on one!
    But I already know this project is not for the faint of heart and think I am ready for such a project

I can't find a repair manual anywhere either

The only manual I can find is the user guide on bitsavers. My bitsavers redirects to here:-

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stut...Keypunches.pdf
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals.

Comment

Sorry, I have now found the base Field Engineering Maintenance Manual (FEMM) for the model 24 and 26 punches. Its in the same folder...

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stut...Card/Keypunch/

as

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stut...FEMM_Dec65.pdf

hope this is usefull...
      Dave
      G4UGM

Comment

Thanks Dave, it is super useful!
        Usually bit-savers documents show up in Google searches, but I didn't see them while searching, probably because of the various abbreviations in the PDF name.
        I always forget to check there directly for some reason, I really have to hammer it into my head to always check there first...
        Sorry!

Comment

No problems. Those names are really convoluted, especially the second of which does not contain "026". I only opened it after reading the first and realizing that the 026 was really a printing 024. Also many manuals on BitSavers have not been OCR'd so they don't show up on Google searches. I also knew there was a separate section for punched card equipment as I have an IBM Model 011 "hand punch" and was recently looking for manuals...
          Dave
          G4UGM

Comment

I spent far too much time using an 026 to write FORTRAN and COBOL programs.

The RICM has an 010 punch.
            http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home...010-card-punch
            Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
            http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Comment

Dave: Yea they are quite terrible, but what are you going to do. At-least they have them!

m_tompson: I've seen your page before of the 010 punch that's awesome! I'm sure its nicer to use on the fly and easier to repair than a whole 026 heh. But once I get this thing going again I think I will try and make it available for people to try out, maybe next years VCF E or something especially if I at some point along the way find a way to get punch cards cheap... Say with a group buy from a paper mill or something willing to do a pallet full. I don't want to keep this machine private I'd much rather allow it to be used and let people experience it either again or for the first time

Comment

Punched cards are not going to be cheap. I have a quote from a local supplier for £49.00 (so about $80) + Tax per 1000. Still that's cheaper than used which were about £65 for 500.....
                Dave
                G4UGM

Comment

Hm.
                  That's is pricey but not terrible if you can order in 1000s not say by the pallet, I wonder how cheap you can find it in the states with tons of paper mills to price out... But you'll likely have to buy in pallets from a paper mill, guess that's what group buys are for.

Comment

Ask the Living Computer Museum where they purchase their new stock from.
                    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Originally posted by Conmega View Post
                      Dave: Yea they are quite terrible, but what are you going to do. At-least they have them!

m_tompson: I've seen your page before of the 010 punch that's awesome! I'm sure its nicer to use on the fly and easier to repair than a whole 026 heh. But once I get this thing going again I think I will try and make it available for people to try out, maybe next years VCF E or something especially if I at some point along the way find a way to get punch cards cheap... Say with a group buy from a paper mill or something willing to do a pallet full. I don't want to keep this machine private I'd much rather allow it to be used and let people experience it either again or for the first time
                      I am very interested in hearing the repair story for your 026 punch. We have one as well. But we have never tried to start it. As far as I remember it there might be a Selenuium rectifier in it which make me a bit reluctant to turn it on. And then there are valves and relays involved. I have very little experience with valves.

BTW. For how long time were the 026 produced? Did all have relays and valves in them?
                      www.datormuseum.se

Comment

Originally posted by MattisLind View Post
                        I am very interested in hearing the repair story for your 026 punch. We have one as well. But we have never tried to start it. As far as I remember it there might be a Selenuium rectifier in it which make me a bit reluctant to turn it on. And then there are valves and relays involved. I have very little experience with valves.

BTW. For how long time were the 026 produced? Did all have relays and valves in them?
                        Wow your 026 looks beautiful! The 026's were produced from 1949 to probably the mid 60s when they were superseded by the 029 keypunch. I'm pretty sure they all used the same power supply (the metal box with tubes mounted and the selenium rectifiers along with some other bits which you can see in the repair manual clearly) and the cage of relays. But every keypunch I've seen has always been different in the back assumingly because they were built by hand. The power-supply uses 25L6 vacuum tubes which seem fairly common, you appear to be missing one so I'd not recommend powering yours up as is... So yes they all should have been produced with relays and valves, but you can never be sure with how they were made. But yours especially should have relays and valves due to my thinking that yours is a VERY early model as my describing later.

I am personally not familiar with selenium rectifiers other than they were used for diodes in old power-supplies and they give off dangerous fumes when they fail. I do know however that mine powers up because the seller powered it up before posting it... Although I will be doing a look over before powering it up again. Mine appears to have had a lot of work done to it though because mine has mixed looking selenium rectifiers in different stacks, also because of its condition I have a feeling mine has seen a LOT of action.

Yours however looks very clean and almost completely stock your power-supply actually looks almost exactly like the one in the repair manual especially in respect to the selenium rectifiers. So I would want to be careful with those heh... Your keypunch looks quite different from all the ones I've seen though, like the power switch is different, the cables aren't wrapped in a fabric material, you have all your relays labeled by hand instead of stamped, you have a different cover over the printing and punching mechanism, the reading station is painted instead of polished, and your keyboard has an extra switch at the top and the plate covering that area looks different... I want to say you have a VERY early version of the 026 likely a first generation of some type. The manuals available on bit-savers (linked in a previous post by Dave) show an image of one that looks like mine and most of the others online, and its a revision from 1964. But photos on this site (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/026.html) show photos like yours, likely these were pulled from older manuals dating back before new revisions of the manual with the updated photos were put in.

Although I'm not exactly the one to say, I am only 17 and these machines predate me as far as 48 years! This is just from the research I was able to do! Maybe someone else can chime in and confirm.

Once I get mine and start repairing it I will be making logs here and probably have a go at making videos on Youtube so its easier to follow along for people trying to restore their own.
                        In the mean time you can watch this guys video series of restoring an 029 Keypunch which shows some problems these machines get over the years and some tips for restoring them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XpR4cwCado
                        Also here is a wiring diagram for the 024 and 026 Keypunches: http://ibm-1401.info/IBM-026-Wiring-228005P.html

But I'd think you may be-able to throw a tube in the empty socket and power it up and see what you get after testing those selenium rectifiers and capacitors if you can.
                        It does seem the first step to trouble shooting these guys is to plug em in and power them on.

Good luck with yours!

Comment

You can not get the proper card stock for punch cards anymore. It is a specialty paper that is very difficult to make. During the last years at Cardamation, the owner tried to find a substitute stock when the good stuff ran out, and the best he could find just does not work well at all.

--
                          Will

Comment

Ah, well I already emailed the Living Computer Museum.
                            I'll see what they say, but that's not good news.
                            Thanks for the information anyway though.

Comment

Originally posted by Conmega View Post
                              Also here is a wiring diagram for the 024 and 026 Keypunches: http://ibm-1401.info/IBM-026-Wiring-228005P.html

But I'd think you may be-able to throw a tube in the empty socket and power it up and see what you get after testing those selenium rectifiers and capacitors if you can.
                              It does seem the first step to trouble shooting these guys is to plug em in and power them on.

Good luck with yours!
                              I had a quick look at the wiring diagrams and also browsed through the maintenance manual. It looks to me that the wiring diagram only lists 9 valves, right? The maintenance manual is quite extensive on all the mechanical details. I guess that get this to run is for me a very long term project.

I look forward to follow your journey to get it working!

The history behind this particular machine was that it was used by a small accounting company in Saltsjöbaden southwest of Stockholm. We got in contact with them in the eighties since they wanted to dispose of a Univac 9300 machine. But this was the only piece that we were able to get. The rest was unfortunately scrapped.
                              www.datormuseum.se

Comment

Working...
                              X