• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

486 machine crapped out

Mike_Z

Veteran Member
Today my Windows 3.11 486 machine crapped out on me. It attempts to boot and then will not recognize the keyboard. I tested the keyboard on another machine and it works fine. I removed the motherboard and inspected it. The keyboard plug looks good, it's the large IBM XT type, the large five pin semicircle one. I thought that maybe the socket may have broken a connection to the mother board, but thats not it. I also removed all the extra ISA boards to make a basic machine, drives and video, but that didn't help either. Any suggestions before I look for another motherboard? Thanks Mike

Try another keyboard.

Try wiggling the keyboard plug in the socket.

Did the battery leak and corrode the board near the keyboard?

Last edited:
I'd double check the connector (I know you said that you've checked it already). I've seen enough cold joints... you might just want to resolder it :).
Check that keyboard gets +5V (pin 4 is ground, and pin 5 is +5V). Some computers have polyfuse on keyboard power supply net, some might have a regular fuse... If you're not getting +5V try tracing that signal on the PCB, you might find a burnt PCB trace or a fuse.
Other than that you might try replacing the keyboard interface ICs. Usually there is a 7407 open collector buffer and a keyboard controller - look for an IC in 40-pin DIP package. Finding a replacement keyboard controller might be a bit tricky. In early AT days Intel UPI-42 (8042/8242/8742) or compatible micro-controllers were used, and they were normally programmed with a firmware developed by the BIOS vendor - AMI, Phoenix. Later on, in 90's, specialized keyboard controller ICs were used, e.g. VIA VT82C42N, Holtek HT6542B, Winbond W83C42, etc.

The battery is OK and the plug and socket seem OK. I'll try re-soldering a little later. But I did find the 5 volts between pin 4 and 5. Right next to the socket is something labeled F1, probably the fuse? It's definitely not a regular fuse, it must be something in the board itself. But since I have the +5 on pin 5 it must be OK. There appears to be four traces, that I can see, (failing eye sight is a problem for me), Looks like one goes to the power pins and I think it is the ground. The three others run to a 40 pin IC in a socket. It's labeled Regional HT6542. What are the other pins of the keyboard socket? It appears that pin 1 goes to pin 39 of the IC and pin 3 goes to Pin1 of the IC. I can not determine where pin 3 of the plug goes. Thanks Mike

I tried re seating the HT6542 chip but it didn't help. I found this pinout for the chip.
HT6542B-pinout.jpg
Looks line pin 1 is KBCI, could that be Keyboard common input?
Pin 39 is KBDI/MSCI, might that be Keyboard data input?
Maybe I try to find a HT6542 replacement before I try a new motherboard. Thanks Mike

I tried re seating the HT6542 chip but it didn't help. I found this pinout for the chip.
View attachment 23848
Looks line pin 1 is KBCI, could that be Keyboard common input?
Pin 39 is KBDI/MSCI, might that be Keyboard data input?
Maybe I try to find a HT6542 replacement before I try a new motherboard. Thanks Mike

The datasheet for this controller is here
This chip has two modes of operation: AT and PS/2. The main difference is that PS/2 mode supports mouse. The pin assignment is a bit different between these two modes, and the first part of the pin name (before slash) is the signal name for AT mode, while the second part is for PS/2 mode. The mode is auto-detected by the controller - depending on what connected to KBDO output. AT mode uses a non-inverting OC buffer (e.g. 7407) with its output connected to KBDI/MSCI input. PS/2 mode uses OC inverter (e.g. 7406) with its output connected to P10/KBDI input.
Now I am not sure which mode your motherboard uses. Some of these 486 motherboards have keyboard controller configured in PS/2 mode (even though the keyboard connector is an AT-style 5-pin DIN). Such motherboard usually have 5 or 6 pin header for connecting a PS/2 mouse connector.

Anyway if you have a logic probe or oscilloscope you can try debugging the keyboard interface: check if there is clock and data output to the keyboard, or input from the keyboard.

Thanks for the datasheet and explanation. I generally use an IBM Model M keyboard with this machine. This Model M keyboard will work with an XT or an AT machine. The computer can also use a much later keyboard like my COMPAQ Presario keyboard. I have a good scope and can look for data. I also found a replacement HT6542 chip on ebay for $12. Let you know what becomes of it. Thanks again, Mike

Today, my HT6542 chip showed up in the mail. Before I replaced the chip I checked the power supply voltage on the old chip and it was +5 volts. Then after I replaced the chip and loaded enough cards to see if it would work, it did! So I put all the cards back and everything is fine, except my CMOS setting were screwed up. Fortunately, I had all the setting recorded. Anyway the 486 is working again. Thanks to everyone that helped. Mike

If i disconnect keyboard i have message:
Keyboard error or no keyboard present

if i connect keyboard, i don't have this error.
so the keyboard is detected byt VT82C42N but it not work, i can't enter to bios for example.

EDIT:
sorry, I got the wrong post

Back