Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

8 bit isa lava parallel card in vintage ibm5155

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    Chuck, It could just be personal experience, but over years of repairing TTL based pcb's it always seems that the plastic cased ones that fail (but only very rarely). I have yet to ever had to replace a single ceramic cased 74 or 54 series IC in any apparatus. But by comparison the cmos IC's of all kinds, especially the original 4000 series were shocking, failing inexplicably and in clusters. One thing they would do is get an output stage that goes totally open circuit, leaving the inputs of other IC's connected to that floating, giving all sorts of weird effects, and when you touch the connection with the scope, it discharges it, making it look like logic 0. Later cmos were much better protected from electrostatic damage though. I still have many TTL's IC's from the 70's, all working just like the day they were made. Recently though, for an exercise, I thought I would try out 90 year old transformers & tubes to make a 2 watt iPod amplifier. Astonishingly, still working, and as I remarked in the end of this brief article, what manufacturer these days would make components that lasted 90 years, probably the will last triple that:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/UX-171...amplifier..pdf

I managed to work in a classic 1970's National LM309k into the project.
    It appears these days that electrolytic caps set the limits on appliance lifetimes.
    I've been working on- and off- rehabilitating a 70's dumb terminal. No microprocessor; all 4000 series CMOS (mostly NSC and SSS). I'll get a section working for a few hours. and then another one will fail. Very frustrating. So I put it to one side and pick it up a few months later after my frustration dissipates. For what it's worth, some of the Japanese 4000-series from the same time, such as Toshiba, seem to be pretty good.

I've still got a military receiver from the 1940s (last saw service in Okinawa in 1945) that I run with an old rack-mount Western Electric power supply. Works fine with absolutely no audible hum. But then, consider the telephone of the 1960s and earlier. Since (at least in the US) all were leased from Ma Bell, service life was important and the lowly 500-series desk set was designed with a service life of 50 years. There were some clever designs in those. For example, when the Touch-tone dialing came out, the electronics used a single transistor to generate the DTMF signals--and they were stable.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    The ones that I have just use plain dual-row 0.100" headers that fit an IDC ribbon-cable connector. From a signal standpoint, that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    Yes that latching input feature of the 8225 might turn out to be handy. What sort of connector did the cards with the 8255 use?

Leave a comment:

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    Chuck, It could just be personal experience, but over years of repairing TTL based pcb's it always seems that the plastic cased ones that fail (but only very rarely). I have yet to ever had to replace a single ceramic cased 74 or 54 series IC in any apparatus. But by comparison the cmos IC's of all kinds, especially the original 4000 series were shocking, failing inexplicably and in clusters. One thing they would do is get an output stage that goes totally open circuit, leaving the inputs of other IC's connected to that floating, giving all sorts of weird effects, and when you touch the connection with the scope, it discharges it, making it look like logic 0. Later cmos were much better protected from electrostatic damage though. I still have many TTL's IC's from the 70's, all working just like the day they were made. Recently though, for an exercise, I thought I would try out 90 year old transformers & tubes to make a 2 watt iPod amplifier. Astonishingly, still working, and as I remarked in the end of this brief article, what manufacturer these days would make components that lasted 90 years, probably the will last triple that:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/UX-171...amplifier..pdf

I managed to work in a classic 1970's National LM309k into the project.
    It appears these days that electrolytic caps set the limits on appliance lifetimes.

Leave a comment:

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    Hello Stone,

Can you email me on Address on the link pdf: http://worldphaco.com/uploads/CardWanted.pdf

Then I could put the money for the card and shipping into your paypal account. I'm blocked from the Skype link currently.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Hugo, my first ICs were RTL and then DTL. TO-100 and flatpack. I'm not aware that they were more reliable than the stuff we have today.

One thing you don't get with the printer port mod is a latching input; that may matter to you. Of course, an 8255 will give you both, as well the ability to repurpose pins on the C port. LAVA did have an 8255 board. Up until a few years ago, you could still get ISA triple-8255 boards from TeamETT in Thailand. Surely, I can't be the only one with one still in my card collection. They also made a PCI version--and National Instruments made a bucketload of those.

I'll look around and see what I can find--or you may want to take Stone up on his offer. I nowhere nearly as organized. Heck, I still have an Ampex Megastore SASI ISA card rattling around somewhere...

Leave a comment:

• Stone
    replied
    I have one like in the pic above if you're interested.

Leave a comment:

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    Chuck,

I had considered the 8255 IC, which were popular add ons for 8080 and Z80 micros because it does have three 8 bit I/O ports. But there is something about the simplicity an elegance of the printer parallel card with just a handful of 74LS series TTL IC's on it. I was also able to download the circuit for it and its base address can also be changed on the board with a link from H378 to H278, so I can use two of these cards in the computer at once.

I have always had a fondness for TTL DIL package IC's, especially the original 74 series of the late 1960's and 1970's and 74LS types. They are generally very reliable and this in many ways this is one of the things that attracts me to a computer like the IBM5155. The 54 series or mil spec equivalents used in Apollo spacecraft computers and were astonishingly reliable. Tektronix also list the TTL IC as being the most resistant IC to electrostatic discharge damage. My favorite TTL circuit (of all time) has no ROM, RAM or micro's in it, just over 65 TTL IC's and its amazing what can be done with just them:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/LAWN_TENNIS.pdf

One of these Pong games made with plain TTL draws about 1.2A @5V, but only 360mA if its made with 74LS !

If you have a spare parallel card, I think given the quality of this sort of thing (in my opinion) its worth at least $25 (not $5) so if you can part with one, can you email me on the email shown on the link with the card image on it.

thanks, Hugo.

Leave a comment:

• mbbrutman
    replied
    Does it need to be identical or will any bi-directional card work?

http://www.brutman.com/BasementClean...mozTocId686360 should work in an 8 bit slot.

(Disclaimer: I am the seller.)

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    The card you show resembles one of the dime-a-dozen Taiwanese import cards that used to be very common and probably the least expensive 8 bit ISA card that could be purchased. I probably have 2 or three of them--you could get them at computer shows for $5 or so back when. Surely, there must be some still around...

I'm just curious if you're doing something that requires a printer-compatible port. There used to be (and still may well be; I haven't looked), 8-bit ISA cards with one or more Intel 8255A chips on it. They were quite popular with the early instrumentation people. I have one such. You get the full set of 8255 ports that can be programmed any way you'd like.

Just a thought...

Leave a comment:

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    This is the original parallel card from my computer. And modified to be bidirectional it works perfectly. I need a separate input and output 8 bit port for my project so I would dearly like to get an identical one to this, link to card image: http://worldphaco.com/uploads/CardWanted.pdf
    (I seem to prefer vintage PCB's/cards with through hole parts!)

Leave a comment:

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    Hi again,
    There is an interesting twist......I performed the hardware mod on the IBM card, works like a dream, all 8 bits of data easy to input now. However the Lava card (at least the one I have) is a different story. When I first tested it, after the "slot 8 problem" was solved, I only checked it for function on the least significant 4 bits. It turns out that the upper 4 bits are not working as inputs (return a value of 0 regardless of the inputs). To be sure I wasn't getting any spurious effects I grounded each input pin close to the connector and took it high with a clean +5V supply and a 150R current limiting resistor, in case the port got into output mode,on each bit to be tested.
    Curiously, at one point testing the Lava card, it swapped around, the lower 4 bits stopped working and the upper 4 started working. Looking at the chips in it, one is the 74ALS244 octal buffer, but it has separate control lines for each nibble, these are pin 1 and 19 and on the pcb these connect to a 74LS125. So clearly on the card it can choose to do different things with each group of 4 bits. So I'm investigating to find out why, the card may have been damaged by static electricity, possibly, I don't know its exact history. If I do find out what is wrong with it I will post it.
    Last edited by Hugo Holden; December 23, 2015, 05:32 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Hugo Holden
    replied
    Hardware modifications:

Originally posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    Good Lord, how did you know that ? I switched the Lava card to slot 5 (where the original IBM parallel printer card was) & performed the tests , its working fine now.
    On my computer Slot 8 was the only empty slot because Slot 1 is the CGA card, slot 2 a Six Pac Plus card, Slot 3 a serial card, slot 4 a 256K memory add on card, Slot 5 the original unidirectional parallel (printer) card, slot 6 the hard disk card (my computer has a 40Mb vintage Seagate Hard drive (loaded with DOS 3.3, & Windows v1.0) and slot 7 is the floppy controller card (it has a dual 3.5/5.25 floppy unit). Leaving only slot 8 "free". So I plugged the new Lava card into slot 8, like you suspected.

What is it about slot 8 that causes this problem ?.... and can I plug the original standard IBM parallel output only card into slot 8 and expect it would work normally. I could always remove the serial card to free slot 3 (which I had been using to "mouse windows") because the six pac plus card has another serial input which should work with the mouse.

I'm very grateful for your help.
    Hugo.
    A further note based in the suggestions by mbbrutman, Chuck(G) and modem7; I had a good look at the circuit tracks on the original parallel card in the computer, which I think is probably the original IBM card it came with: Pin 1 of the 74LS374 passes to a track with a via and a short section of track to ground. Pin 15 of the 74LS174 has a track which passes to a via right beside the first via mentioned. So it is clear that the board was intended to be modified by cutting the small earth link track and joining the two nearby vias thereby connecting pin 1 of the '374 to pin 15 of the '174. Also I put the scope on pin 15 of the '174 and indeed it goes high if I enter OUT &H37A,32 which is the usual command to put the port control register into "input mode" and it goes low again with OUT &H37A,0 This extra information is very helpful. Thank you again.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    I thought I mentioned that.

Leave a comment:

• mbbrutman
    replied
    The original IBM card was designed as a uni-directional card, but the bi-directional modification is pretty easy to do. The page I linked you to is for the PCjr parallel port adapter, but the IBM adapter modification is similar; just follow the traces and make the same changes. (The PCjr modification was based on the PC modification.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X