• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ADB to PS/2 adapter creation - possible?

MIRKOSOFT

Hi!

I own Mac SE with ADB keyboard and mouse.
I have to my old computers connected single keyboard and sigle mouse, switching manually by switch-panel.
I want to add there my Mac SE.
Problem is that Macs have ADB connector and it's incompatible with PS/2.

I was looking on pinout of ADB and PS/2, they're different, but here's Q:
Is possible only simply connect correct wires together to make it work?
I need not more than 1 buttoon mouse and standard keyboard (eject key is not req'd).

If is it possible - how to connect it?

Thank you for each help!
Miro

Sorry, ADB is very different from PS2. Both are serial interfaces, but there the similarity stops.

There used to be some commercial PS2 to ADB converters, but I haven't kept up with this area.

There are KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switches that support, among other things, mixed ADB and PS/2. All of the ones I've personally seen use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard for the console. I've got an old 8-port intended for servers that includes ADB, PS/2, and Sun connectors.

I see only one choice - buy ADB2PS/2 or ADB2USB converter and connect it to main switchet.
I saw with prices beginning at $28. This I don't understand - PS/2 to USB is for few dollars, but this is bit precious...
Miro

I saw with prices beginning at $28. This I don't understand - PS/2 to USB is for few dollars, but this is bit precious...

Low demand -- I'd imagine most people buying an ADB -> USB converter wanted it back when ADB stopped shipping on Apple computers, but they still had perfectly good keyboards/mice. PS/2 keyboards are far more common, and considering there are still modern motherboards with at least one PS/2 port (this machine is a quad-core AMD A8 and has one), I'd imagine they're still seeing a fair bit of use.

If I understand the OP, he wants to run a Mac using a PS2 keyboard connected to a switch. So, PS2->ADB, not the other way around, if I read him correctly.

If I understand the OP, he wants to run a Mac using a PS2 keyboard connected to a switch. So, PS2->ADB, not the other way around, if I read him correctly.

That's the impression I get as well -- I was commenting on why ADB -> USB converters are more expensive than PS/2 -> USB. I personally have probably 10 PS/2 -> USB converters, and *maybe* one ADB -> USB converter that I happened to pick up with some other Mac stuff.

Yes, truth is that I want to connect to my MacSE PS/2 (or USB) keyboard and mouse.
Reason is that I have all retro computers connected to single switcher where I can switch keyboard and mouse to selected computer by button. Except MacSE - I have ADB keyboard and mouse, but for this switcher is incompatible... My desk is overdosed of computers and having for each computer separate keyboard is impossible. I need two ADB2USB converters, or at least one for keyboard.
I'm living in Slovakia and my month salary makes for me $28 + $30 shipping for one ADB2USB 1/6 of whole salary... Please forgive me writting about money, I'm only searching for more cheap solution - if I'll find not, I buy them.
Miro

Well, if you have more time than money and want to embark on an adventure, you can certain take a small MCU (an Arduino should be more than adequate) and code the translation yourself. There's certainly enough horsepower there to do it--and the web does have details on both PS2 and ADB protocols.

I'd even be happy with PS/2 to ADB, since that's simpler and I have PS/2 gear here still, but I understand that even the PS/2 stuff is getting rare now.

Back