Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

bootable SCSI ISA cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bootable SCSI ISA cards

I have two ISA SCSI cards neither appear to be boot or rather recognizable from the BIOS as far as I can tell.
    Can you recommend some boot-able 16bit ISA SCSI cards to be on the lookout for?

My go-to 16 bit card is the Adaptec 1522/1542 card. Built-in floppy controller too, and depending on which revision, the floppy can often do single-density.
    Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Just curious--do either of your non-bootable cards have a socket for a PROM? (i.e. what are they?)

I like the Future Domain 16xx cards as well as the ones made by DTC and Ultrastor.

Comment

None of them have sockets, I have the fallowing SCSI cards
        Symbios SYM20403
        Adaptec AVA-1502E
        Must Systems AZ-SCSI

I also have a sound card with a built in IDE interface, but no internal expansion bays. However from what I understand if I get an XT-IDE bios chip that might open up my options. Also my 3com Etherlink III also doesn't have a a ROM socket. Although I am still a little muddy on how to get the chip and how it really works.

Comment

I have an adaptec SCSI that came with my SCSI Floptical - a 21mb SCSI Floppy Drive and I actually have 5 floptical disks. It also reads standard 3.5" floppies as well and boots from the drive.

Comment

JUst an idea...

On the couple non-bootable SCSI controllers I have (DOS machines), what I did was use a small IDE drive to hold the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, as well as the SCSI drivers. Once the SCSI drivers are loaded, all the other software can be on the SCSI devices.

The IDE drives I used were only 80mb.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by haightc View Post
              I also have a sound card with a built in IDE interface, but no internal expansion bays.
              Originally posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
              JUst an idea...

On the couple non-bootable SCSI controllers I have (DOS machines), what I did was use a small IDE drive to hold the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, as well as the SCSI drivers. Once the SCSI drivers are loaded, all the other software can be on the SCSI devices.

The IDE drives I used were only 80mb.

Joe
              Booting from a floppy seems like a reasonable alternative.
              PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

I can speak for the Adaptec 1502 and Symbios 20403--they were bare-bones controllers sold to the scanner market. You can get ASPI support (and hence disk and CD) for them, but there's no provision for booting.

After all, why would someone want to boot a scanner?

Comment

This is sort of a weird resurrection of a year old thread, but if anyone is still looking of decent ISA bus bootable SCSI controllers then you can't go wrong with an Adaptec 1542, as was mentioned near the beginning of this thread. I must have a few of the different revisions of them around. They should be fairly easily found at cheap prices.

Comment

Originally posted by gslick View Post
                    This is sort of a weird resurrection of a year old thread
                    Was thinking same...

Originally posted by gslick View Post
                    but if anyone is still looking of decent ISA bus bootable SCSI controllers then you can't go wrong with an Adaptec 1542
                    ALSO thinking the same.

The entire 1542 line are in my experience the BEST in ISA SCSI adapters, if for no other reason than that unlike most other ISA SCSI adapters, it actually seems to properly implement being hot-pluggable.

Back in the early 1990's I was working for a place where one of the clients had pretty much built their entire business around the Compaq portable III using a custom card to turn them into EKG machines. They also had a desktop version for calibration and office testing, but the portable was more popular with hospitals... but they had a problem.

1) Extra hassle of an external parallel drive since the data had to be shipped off for proper analysis.

2) Compaq PC3's were drying up in the supply channel since they were already out of production

3) Next generation information gathering required more powerful systems in both processors and storage capacity

4) The custom card for the PC3 was unreliable and often broke loose in shipping.

But I remembered from the back of Computer Shopper that there was a company selling PC3 style cases -- nearly identical -- but with a full height floppy bay, internal room for a 3.5", and that took a standard mini-AT motherboard... So I got my boss to order one for evaluation, built it up as a 486DX/2-66 with a 1542C, removable SCSI 1 gig hard drive (which was batshit storage for a PC in '92), internal 512 meg for booting and software, and one of the client's desktop cards plugged into it.

Which from the time I showed it to the client to the time I left the company, they bought those suckers like hotcakes. We had several hundred deployed 'in the wild' with pretty much every model of 1542 Adaptec ever made, with zero failures, zero issues, and greatly sped-up deployment. They were just rock solid reliable and even replaced their desktop models.

... and being we're talking about a lunchbox where they would get shlepped around by medical personnel not computer experts, that's a harsh environment where failures should (and typically were) common. See the pile of junk actual Compaq's the client had piled up in the corner. (Always regretted not asking "Hey, could I have a couple of these?")

Though some custom changes I made to the case of the PC3 clones helped with the shipping issues as I took a page out of the PC Jr's playbook, and took some lexan and hot-cut slits into it which was then epoxy'd to the lid. When you put the cover back on it, the slits lined up with the control cards meaning they couldn't lift up out of their sockets during shipping. Was a cleaner solution than going down in there with a hot-glue gun like you saw so many companies do.

If you can find them the 1542CF -- here's an older pic of one from my collection:

Is the best of the best of the best -- with honors -- to come from Adaptec for the ISA form factor. I usually HATE software controlled hardware settings, but the card never failed me, it's auto-detection of other hardware is (in my experience) bulletproof in that it even seems to go "hey, there's ROM here, let's not put our ROM there" and show a "Rom Conflict, check AHA-1542 Address switches" message -- and is still PRE "plug and play" meaning you still retain far more control over it from its ROM than you would relying on the system BIOS to place the IRQ's, DMA channels, and ports.

But if you want to go the old-school jumper route, 1542B is a fine and dandy card that is otherwise identical.

Hell, that 1542CF pictured above is in my 286-20 clone driving a 1 gig seagate right now.... though that drive is probably being pulled to see if it will work with a ST-02 V3.0.0 in a XT clone.

Bottom line, if I need SCSI and have a 16 bit ISA slot available, AHA-1542 or GTFO.
                    Last edited by deathshadow; April 27, 2017, 08:04 AM.
                    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
                    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Comment

I have a 1540A (1542 without floppy section populated); older version on a full-length ISA card. If you're interested, drop me a line. I have the 1542CF (and a pile of others) already.

Comment

One thing to note with the Adaptec AHA-1542 is that the on-board FDC controller chip used varies with the different versions.

That should only be an issue if you want to read and write images of certain disk formats which are non-standard for PCs.

The FDC registry link here says the earlier AHA-1542 versions use some flavor of an DP8473 FDC controller while later ones use some flavor of an 82077 controller, which apparently does not support Double-Density with 128 bytes sectors.

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

Comment

I've got a tested AHA-1542CF that's available.
                          PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Originally posted by deathshadow View Post
                            But if you want to go the old-school jumper route, 1542B is a fine and dandy card that is otherwise identical.
                            1542B has one problem: 1 GB HDD size limit in BIOS.
                            Apparently there was some BIOS/firmware update to allow up to 8.4 GB, but I can't locate it. Any help?

Comment

Have you tried updating it with the BIOS from a 1542C?

Comment

Working...
                              X