• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mitsumi x2 "Double Speed" CD-ROM Drivers

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
While this isn't exactly vintage, it almost is...

I have a Pentium 100 system that I use for old DOS games as well as shuttiling files between the 5.25" and 3.5" floppy sizes. Recently I got a very clean Mitsumi CD-ROM that would go with this system quite nicely, but I don't know how to get it to work exactly.

The CD-ROM itself operates off of a 16-bit ISA card. I know I need drivers to use this, but I can't find the exact drivers I need. I've Googled for two days and can't find exactly what I need; there's just too many drivers to choose from and they aren't specific enough.

My operating system is Windows 95B. The CD-ROM model number is CRMC-FX001D and the ISA card part number is 74-1645A. Help would be greatly appreciated, as I have other CD-ROM's like this with device cards that I don't know how to operate either. It's time for another learning experience, hehe.

TIA.

-Mike

CD ROM drives were only built by a handful of companies and were then OEMed to just about everyone.

Find out who the actual manufacturer was (check the boards, chips and whatnot for markings) and see if you can find drivers for another drive made by the same company. It may work.

The other thing you can try is to let Windows 98 or Windows XP auto-detect the drive and then see whose driver they use. Then look for a Win 95 or DOS compatible driver that matches.

Good luck!

Erik

Silly me, I completely overlook the fact that Win95 had it's own hardware instillation thingy, which installed it nearly automatically. I've been using XP for too long, because it installs nearly everything automatically. What a tool I've become.

... but the biggest surprise is when I opened the tray on this 10 year old CD-ROM to find a Norton Systemworks 2002 disk!!

:D

Re: Mitsumi x2 "Double Speed" CD-ROM Drivers

Super-Slasher said:
there's just too many drivers to choose from and they aren't specific enough.

I doubt that you need specific. You might read up on MSCDEX. (MSDOS CDROM Extensions?) It came with DOS after version something or other.

Re: Mitsumi x2 "Double Speed" CD-ROM Drivers

barryp said:
Super-Slasher said:
there's just too many drivers to choose from and they aren't specific enough.

I doubt that you need specific. You might read up on MSCDEX. (MSDOS CDROM Extensions?) It came with DOS after version something or other.

Barry,

I think this is not an ATAPI drive, he might need the drivers for the non-standard interface card

Back