• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Juko D16-X, can the bios be upgraded?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
per a discussion on an older thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?48957-Juko-D16-X-8bit-ISA-IDE-controller-is-it-any-good
krebizfan makes mention of replacing the stock bios with XTIDE bios to support CF cards.

Anyway I have this Juko D16-X card and as many of you are aware it supports only the most early primitive IDE drives under 151MB, has anyone successfully upgraded this card's bios to something newer to support more devices?

If not, I am ok being the test case with your help.

I think there at least three other people on these forums who have a D16-X, and I think they have later versions of the card.

I do know that member Maxheap dumped the BIOS of version 1.2 from his card. That BIOS is hosted at [here]. I have no idea as to what that offers over version 1.0, or even if it is compatible with early versions of the card.

OK Ive decided to gamble this card! Im going to flash a new bios rom with modern XT bios and see what happens! Anyone have a recommendation of which version of the new XTIDE rom image I should use and where I can get a copy of the ROM? Thanks

an update, I have purchased an XTIDE card https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glitch-Wor...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2750.l2649 because I need one
But I am still going to burn an XTIDE universal bios as well as another version, to my juko card and test it.

I've spent some time staring at the disassembly of the two different BIOS versions (1.0 and 1.2) and it seems to me that there is a slight chance that XUB will work with these cards.

You will have to configure it for an AT drive (obviously). For the initial testing, pull the original ROM from the card and use your XTIDE card to host the XTIDE Universal BIOS (I am assuming that the I/O base address for the XTIDE card is at 300h so there shouldn't be any conflicts).

In XTIDECFG, select "16-bit ISA/VLB/PCI IDE" for the controller device type, then change the "Base (cmd block) address" to be 320h and the "Control block address" should be left at 3F0h.

You can also try using "16-bit ISA IDE in 8-bit mode" for the device type, using the same I/O addresses, but for this you will almost certainly have to use a Compact Flash card or a microdrive.

With a bit of luck that's all there is to it.

I've spent some time staring at the disassembly of the two different BIOS versions (1.0 and 1.2) and it seems to me that there is a slight chance that XUB will work with these cards.

You will have to configure it for an AT drive (obviously). For the initial testing, pull the original ROM from the card and use your XTIDE card to host the XTIDE Universal BIOS (I am assuming that the I/O base address for the XTIDE card is at 300h so there shouldn't be any conflicts).

In XTIDECFG, select "16-bit ISA/VLB/PCI IDE" for the controller device type, then change the "Base (cmd block) address" to be 320h and the "Control block address" should be left at 3F0h.

You can also try using "16-bit ISA IDE in 8-bit mode" for the device type, using the same I/O addresses, but for this you will almost certainly have to use a Compact Flash card or a microdrive.

With a bit of luck that's all there is to it.

Sorry for the late reply Krille, I didnt see this post of yours till just now.
Funny Timing, I was wondering if I should just sell the card on eBay.
I could give it a crack before I do. Anyway, Explain something to me Why are you saying "ou will have to configure it for an AT drive (obviously)." and " XTIDECFG, select "16-bit ISA/VLB/PCI IDE"
I guess I dont have the understanding, but if I am running this 8bit card in an XT why am I configuring it for AT 16bit?

I now have a burned universal rom and I have a CF card and adapter I can try.

Why are you saying "ou will have to configure it for an AT drive (obviously)."

It looks like it supports both XTA- and ATA-drives. See this.

and " XTIDECFG, select "16-bit ISA/VLB/PCI IDE"
I guess I dont have the understanding, but if I am running this 8bit card in an XT why am I configuring it for AT 16bit?

I haven't been able to fully confirm it but it seems to be register compatible with standard 16-bit IDE controllers. That's why you need to select that particular controller type - it has nothing to do with "bitness" - even the original BIOS uses 16-bit I/O instructions.

So have you (or anyone else with this card) tried this yet? I'm curious to know if it works with the XUB.

I got a Juko D16X with BIOS version 1.0 and it's not really working. With a Conner CP3024 IDE-AT drive attached it complained about the drive parameter table being scratched. So I went into its BIOS routine (in my case at g=ce00:5 in DEBUG instead of the typical g=c800:5) and after choosing the drive type it immediately forced me to "preformat" it, losing the data that was on it. Then FDISK and FORMAT /S seemed to go fine, but when booting from it, it complains about COMMAND.COM being bad or missing, and doing a CHKDSK on it says the FAT is corrupt. This is with a period-correct 20 MB drive that works fine in other systems, not something larger and newer than it was originally meant to support.

Also I tried jumpering it into IDE-XT mode and connecting a Seagate ST-325X, but it just hangs on POST. I noticed the partial scan of the manual on minuszerodegrees doesn't even mention the JP2 jumper to switch it into IDE-XT mode, so maybe it's a feature they planned but never implemented? I also noticed on my IBM 5150 PC after doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del it sits there for over 20 seconds doing nothing before it responds. Is its BIOS really that slow!?

I got a Juko D16X with BIOS version 1.0 and it's not really working. With a Conner CP3024 IDE-AT drive attached it complained about the drive parameter table being scratched. So I went into its BIOS routine (in my case at g=ce00:5 in DEBUG instead of the typical g=c800:5) and after choosing the drive type it immediately forced me to "preformat" it, losing the data that was on it. Then FDISK and FORMAT /S seemed to go fine, but when booting from it, it complains about COMMAND.COM being bad or missing, and doing a CHKDSK on it says the FAT is corrupt. This is with a period-correct 20 MB drive that works fine in other systems, not something larger and newer than it was originally meant to support.

Also I tried jumpering it into IDE-XT mode and connecting a Seagate ST-325X, but it just hangs on POST. I noticed the partial scan of the manual on minuszerodegrees doesn't even mention the JP2 jumper to switch it into IDE-XT mode, so maybe it's a feature they planned but never implemented? I also noticed on my IBM 5150 PC after doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del it sits there for over 20 seconds doing nothing before it responds. Is its BIOS really that slow!?

I watched your video on 8 bit IDE. It was really good; I learned more about those drives from that video than I knew previously. Anyway I traded my juko D16X to RadRacer203 a year or two back. Hopefully he gets a drive working on it.

So it proceeded to format the drive without confirmation after you selected the drive type? That sucks.

Did you also try changing the jumpers for the BIOS (JP8 and JP9)? There are apparently 4 different address ranges and it is possible they all contain different BIOS versions. This is assuming your card has a 27256 EPROM.

So it proceeded to format the drive without confirmation after you selected the drive type? That sucks.
It did prompt for confirmation, but didn't give me any option to set the drive type and then just use it as-is, without formatting.

I got it reconfigured for C800. It doesn't help that the orientation of the jumper pins is the opposite on the board compared to what's shown in the manual! All four segments of the ROM contain identical code. And even with JP2 closed, which should put it into IDE-XT mode, it still recognized and formatted an IDE-AT drive. So I'm declaring the IDE-XT / XTA functionality of the Juko D16-X to be vaporware.

vwestlife Would you mind trying 'Auto Configure' in XTIDECFG.COM with that controller? It would be nice to have confirmation on whether it works with XUB or not.

Back