Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Texelec's keyboard foam replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep some extra rare drive belts purchased new in my freezer in a sealed bag against the day that I'll need them. Maybe that might work for extra foam pads as well.
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

I like your thinking. I think the thing with these is, given an 11mm punch, 5mm foam and some aluminized mylar, you're not going to have any trouble making new ones, even 20 years down the line. The custom ICs on the keytronics keyboards are more of a long-term issue I'd have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by drdanj View Post
        I like your thinking. I think the thing with these is, given an 11mm punch, 5mm foam and some aluminized mylar, you're not going to have any trouble making new ones, even 20 years down the line. The custom ICs on the keytronics keyboards are more of a long-term issue I'd have thought.
        I have to agree with that. the XR 908 and the XR 950 chips, which make up the scan matrix (at least on the Model II Tandy keyboard) is something I have been looking for for the last 20 years, without success, I might add.
        Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Comment

I received my samples a day or so ago. I think I found the EXACT foam! It looks and feels the same as the original pads from my Compaq portable. Well, I say that but it is a bit more resilient since it hasn't aged. The samples were only available in 2" cubes so I have to order a sheet to make actual pads for testing. I just placed a small order to make some test pads. The pads will be 1/4" thick instead of 3/16", but I feel like the difference will not be an issue considering all the feedback I have received from all of you. I may or may not have also ordered a small polyethylene sheet as well. While it won't be as resilient the density was right so I thought, why not try it as well. I did it for Al Kossow. <3 I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks to everyone for all of your input, I appreciate it tremendously!

Comment

I popped open the keyboard on my Hyperion and as someone suggested, it's another one of those capacitive type keyboards.

20180806_213229.jpg

Most of the keys still work, but I thought I would test both of Sara's foam pad attempts to see if either worked. The light grey/blue disc batch did not work at all, but the silver disc batch actually seems to. Not great, but enough to render a couple of non functional keys functional again. They do alter the feel of the keypress (as was mentioned before, the foam is a little bit unforgiving. I think I'm just going to replace the foam on the keys that work for now and wait eagerly to see what Sara comes up with next. I really just needed to get my Enter key back more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by falter View Post
              I popped open the keyboard on my Hyperion and as someone suggested, it's another one of those capacitive type keyboards... I think I'm just going to replace the foam on the keys that work for now and wait eagerly to see what Sara comes up with next. I really just needed to get my Enter key back more than anything.
              I'm just waiting (also eagerly) on my order of new foam, then I'll get to work making some new sets for testing.

Comment

I am looking forward to hearing more about the new foam and would be keen to order when available.

I just redid the pads in a Wang Professional keyboard (same as Wang 723 keyboard I think, but with different electronics), and it's a wee bit of a slow/squishy typing feel - so I'd be very keen on pads that'll collapse easier. I wouldn't really want to type on it like that for a long period of time.

One other tiny detail I'd like to mention would be if it's possible to get a few more in each bag - my Wang keyboard had more than 98 keys.

Having someone who will supply them precut with mylar is a godsend. I couldn't do that by hand without going insane.
                So thank you very much for your efforts Sara! (and everyone else that's helped with ideas/feedback).
                Twitter / YouTube

Comment

When I made new inserts for the Keytronic keyboard on my Vector Graphic Mindless Terminal, I ended up using the following from www.mcmaster-carr.com:

Foil - 7538T11 Metallized Polyester Film, .002" Thick, 27" Width, 12' Length Silver (note: should be non-conductive side down toward the PCB, keyboards are capactive, not conductive)
                  Foam - 8709K32 Water-Resistant Super-Cushioning Foam, Polyurethane with Adhesive Back, 3/16" Thickness, 1/2" W, 100' L, Each of 100
                  Upper plastic - 1441T32 Impact-Resistant UHMW Film Adhesive-Backed, .007" Thick, 12" Wide, 2 ft. Length (used two layers of this in the end, see note below)

Note - the upper plastic ended up not being as 'rigid' as the original clear upper plastic discs, I had to kind of 'mush' it into place with a tool to get it under the little 'catches' to hold it, where the original parts would just 'snap'. If I were to do this again, I'd look for a clear mylar-like material and maybe glue it to the foam with a suitable adhesive. I did buy some alternate 'upper disc' material to try to do this - but I've not had any need for any more parts!

I did try several other closed-cell foams of different heights (all from McMaster), I felt that this open-cell foam was closest to what the original foam discs might have been before they turned into hockey pucks/dust. However - not having used one of these keyboards back in the day, what I ended up going with was pretty subjective.

Keyboard has seen light use over three years and still works fine. See photos below.

I'm not sure if this really adds any new info here, McMaster was a good place to get samples of a bunch of different material to test.

IMG_20150815_212720232.jpgIMG_20150815_212747215.jpgIMG_20150815_234518030.jpgIMG_20150816_010613346.jpgIMG_20150816_010606224.jpg

Comment

Hello everyone, I received the new foam on Friday but my mother was here visiting so I didn't get a chance to assemble any sets over the weekend. I will have some sets finished for testing in a few days! I'll post again and send private messages when they are ready for sending. I'm so sorry for the delay, it's been busy around here but I'm getting back to it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience with me.

Comment

-
                      Originally posted by DaveL View Post
                      -
                      Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                      -
                      Originally posted by snuci View Post
                      -
                      Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                      -
                      Originally posted by SpidersWeb View Post
                      -
                      I’ve finally got some sets stamped out and ready for testing. Here is a photo comparing a new open cell pad to sunci’s pad along with snuci’s Apple OEM pad and a Compaq OEM pad from my Compaq. I’ll be sending bags to DaveL and falter for testing on the SOL as well as one to snuci for Lisa testing.

Snuci-OEM-Apple-Compaq-My-Open-Cell.jpg

Here is snuci’s photo again for reference when he compared my closed cell pad to his and his Apple OEM pad.

Pad comparison 1.jpg

The replacement bags will go out tomorrow!
                      Last edited by sarawill; August 27, 2018, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much Sara. If they work I'll be glad to shoot you a few bucks for em. They certainly look pretty good!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
                          -
                          -
                          -
                          Originally posted by SpidersWeb View Post
                          -
                          Originally posted by MarsMan2020 View Post
                          -
                          Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                          -
                          I have received word on a tester in the Apple Lisa group on Facebook! He was waiting on replacements from long ago, so I sent him both closed and open cell aluminum plated Mylar pads. He preferred the open cell over the closed cell although both worked great in his Lisa. Ultimately, the new foam is officially working in the Lisa and the Compaq thus far. He made a video of the installation, but I can’t share it as it is a closed group. I have provided a screenshot of his post and two from the installation video. I have blurred his identity as it is a closed group. However, anyone can join the Apple Lisa group on Facebook if they want to see more of the post as well as other posts there. It’s a great group if you like the Lisa! Just like here, there are lots of super nice and knowledgeable vintage computer aficionados there. That’s where I first met snuci too! ��

Apple-Lisa-Group-Pad-Test-1.jpg

Apple-Lisa-Group-Pad-Test-2.jpg

Apple-Lisa-Group-Pad-Test-3.jpg

Comment

Thought I'd share another successful test. This one was on a Franklin Ace 1000! This one was emailed to me and included some photos of our old pads (both revisions) compared to the new ones. Here are the latest open cells installed in the keyboard as well as some on-screen text. He did say a few were finicky and needed turning, as we all know happens when replacing fully assembled pads, but these were much easier to install than the closed cell because of the softer foam. Here's the end result:

20180905_042532.jpg 20180905_042630.jpg

I'm so excited to be getting feedback! That makes successful tests on the Compaq Portable, Apple Lisa and Franklin Ace 1000 machines so far!

Feeling like I may have to list them soon. I hope I'm not getting overly confident, the requests are starting to pile up and I have more material ready to punch.

Comment

Originally posted by sarawill View Post
                              Feeling like I may have to list them soon. I hope I'm not getting overly confident, the requests are starting to pile up and I have more material ready to punch.
                              Hi Sara,

I am going to double-check this weekend as I received your keypads (thank you!) but I don't think these will work with a Dynalogic Hyperion because my own key pads don't work as they are too thick. The Hyperion keyboard uses a Keytronic keyboard mechanism with foam and foil but it's a more slimline keyboard and may not have enough extra tolerance for a slightly thicker foam pad. I will check and let you know. I hope I am wrong.
                              Maintainer of http://vintagecomputer.ca

Comment

Hi Sara,

I am going to double-check this weekend as I received your keypads (thank you!) but I don't think these will work with a Dynalogic Hyperion because my own key pads don't work as they are too thick. The Hyperion keyboard uses a Keytronic keyboard mechanism with foam and foil but it's a more slimline keyboard and may not have enough extra tolerance for a slightly thicker foam pad. I will check and let you know. I hope I am wrong.
                                Me too! *crosses fingers*

Comment

Working...
                                X